Monday, October 08, 2007

Treats, Culinary and Otherwise

I read this headline and took it literally…at first, with a HUGE amount of glee, as well: “Hillary Slaps Iowa Voter.” Obviously, I was thinking this was the moment we’ve all been waiting for: Hill finally loses it and thus begins her decline. Alas…too good to be true.
"Why should I support your candidacy if you haven't learned from the past?" Rolph asked, referring to her 2002 vote to authorize the use of military force in Iraq.
Clinton first thanked him and then countered that, "the premise of the question is wrong." So far, so good. But after offering a description of what was in the resolution, Clinton smugly and dismissively accused him of having been fed the information, saying "obviously somebody sent [it] to you."
Rolph didn't let it pass. "I take exception, this is my own research..."
"Well, then let me finish telling you..." Clinton screamed.
"Nobody sent that, and I am offended that you would suggest it," Rolph snapped at her.
[…]
"It was an insult," he fumed following the event. "It was basically calling me stupid. That I can't think on my own. That I don't have the ability to research or come up with a coherent or concrete thought on my own. How dare she!"
He continued, "She never did answer the question. She just, what I say is, bitch-slapped me." (emphasis mine)
What an appropriate turn-of-a-phrase, eh? (Another take on the story here.)
Of all the mysteries of Japanese culture, the art of how to make perfect sushi is the most cherished. Master chefs jealously conceal the secrets of their craft from all but the most faithful of acolytes, and then only spill the beans after years of patient apprenticeship.
But with every other master chef publicly receiving adulation for their culinary skills, from Gordon Ramsay and Marco Pierre White to Nigella Lawson, it was only a matter of time before the hitherto retiring connoisseurs of sushi began to desire their 15 minutes of fame.
Next week they will have just that at the grand finale of a four-month, nationwide celebration of Japanese food, drink and culture, when top Japanese chefs will put their reputations and honour at stake at the world's only sushi Oscars.
In what is being billed as the ultimate battle between the Seven Sushi Samurai, chefs from across the globe will converge at the Eat-Japan Sushi Awards in London to offer their trademark dish to diners and judges.
The event has generated huge excitement: all 300 tickets, costing £60 each, sold out within two weeks of going on sale, leaving a long waiting list.
One assumes ticket holders will get to sample the wares, but that may or may not be true. Two things here: First, the quality of British food has improved dramatically since I lived in London during the early 80s, when “English Cuisine” was the ultimate oxymoron. At that point in time the only decent meals one could get when eating out were in the numerous, and excellent, Indian and Chinese restaurants…and the fish ‘n’ chips stands, of course. I think there were only two Japanese restaurants in all of London at the time, if memory serves. I know The Second Mrs. Pennington and I had a helluva time finding even one sushi bar to satisfy our cravings. Which leads me to point two: I loves me some sushi!
TSMP and I had our favorite sushi bars when we lived in Tokyo in the mid-70s…two of which were within walking distance of our house. And we patronized them SO often (at least twice a week) that we were on a first-name basis with the chefs. At some point in time I absolutely must retrieve the family photo archive and scan the pics…this being the perfect illustrative point, as there are many more than a few “candid” shots of TSMP and I stuffing our mouths with raw tuna (mmmm!) and washing it down with (lots of…) excellent Sapporo beer. Former Happy Days, those were.
But…Oh! To be in London and at the World Series of Sushi…
In other British Culinary News…this lil article is guaranteed to invoke your “Eww!” response: “I’m not eating that!...Actually, you will. Not only are you all very well travelled, you’re extremely well fed, too.” Case in point:
Some years ago, I regularly travelled to West Africa. The French manager I used to meet in Côte d’Ivoire was always amused by my Anglo-Saxon disgust at some of the things eaten locally. On one occasion he took me to a restaurant that, he claimed, did a very good stew. He was right, it was delicious. Halfway through, however, I got a fright: my fork dredged from the bottom of the bowl what appeared to be a small, pink and perfectly formed baby’s hand. I pushed the plate away and turned white, which amused my companion no end. It transpired that the stew was made with a local delicacy – porcupine. And I can attest that, yes, their feet really do resemble small human... eurgh.
Nick Woodgates, Buckinghamshire
And you know there’s more…
The strangest (or weirdest) thing I’ve ever eaten is “dog on a log” from a street vendor in the Philippines. Which is exactly what it sounds like: bar-b-qued Fido, cooked shish-ke-bob style on a charcoal brazier. It wan’t all that bad, either, if memory serves. But I was two, or perhaps three, sheets in the wind at the time. The strangest thing I’ve refused to eat is rice bugs. You can only imagine, Gentle Reader. Or read about it.
Today’s Pic: Something rarely seen: YrHmblScrb on a Hardly-Ableson, this particular version being SN1’s Night Train on the day he took delivery. I never could get used to the Barca-Liner riding position. You know…feet out front (note the position of the pegs and shifter), lounging rearward, and all that. That’s simply UN-natural…on a mo’sickle. OK for watching football in your den, but not while riding a bike. Your Mileage Most CERTAINLY May Vary.
Valentines Day, 2003.

4 comments:

  1. I had a big smile on my face after reading your comment about the former Japanese officer walking across suicide bridge.

    Yes, indeed, shot or beheaded. They were a different people in war and didn't mess around much.

    My boss, a bird colonel, was on the Bataan Death March and ended up where I was. He headed up the 5th Cav Regt and I never knew he was on the death march until after he died and I learned it from his son. He was really a good guy in Japan and I have tried to think about how he must have felt a few short years after that ordeal, being stationed there.

    As for me, I never met nicer people, in "peacetime."

    I have enjoyed your posts and blog for a while but mostly as a lurker.

    Thanks again for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abraham: It's always my pleasure to visit your blog(s).

    There are many more than one reason to admire your former commander, not the least of which would be the overcoming his loathing of the Japanese when he took command at Sendai. I've known one man that was on the Bataan Death March, and that guy wouldn't have been nearly as charitable nor as forgiving. Those men had the best of reasons to hate the Japanese, and some never got over it. Understandably so.

    Like you, I found the Japanese to be the among most hospitable people I've ever met during my five-plus years in Japan. It was always VERY difficult for me to understand the dichotomy between the Japanese I knew and the Japanese I read about in my history books.

    My ex-wife felt the same way. She took her undergrad degree in Japanese and worked as a J-E translator for a number of years, primarily in the auto industry...working for Nissan in Detroit. She ultimately abandoned that career path due to extreme chauvinism on the part of Japanese men she worked with. An example of the sort of love/hate relationships we can hold with various peoples...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dog on a stick? High ewwww factore there for sure. Can't really say what the weirdest thing I've ever eaten is, as I tend to stay away from anything that could be remotely seen as odd...

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.