Friday, August 17, 2007

Care to Dance?

So. I sorta quit paying attention to McNeil/Lehrer The News Hour last night about 20 minutes or so before it actually ended. I got wrapped up reading something or other, and by the time I looked up Jim Lehrer’s smiling face was gone and this had begun:
Live From Lincoln Center
Mozart Dances
Mostly Mozart Festival
Mark Morris Dance Group
It was the music that caught my ear, and I looked up. The Mark Morris Dance Group is pretty good, if you like that sort of thing. Understand, Gentle Reader, I could stick what little I know about “dance” in my eye and it wouldn’t hurt a bit. I’ve never been to a dance recital. This is the first recital I’ve seen on TeeVee, to the best of my recollection. So, it’s with a grain of salt you’d be taking when I say this was Modern Dance. I know it wasn’t ballet—no tutus. And it wasn’t folk dancing—no ethnic stuff. And I’ve come to the end of my dance-description rope, right here. Right now.
I stayed with the program…but only for the music (Mozart is my absolute favorite composer). I’m not much into watching half-naked men dancing around a stage— especially when they’re dancing with each other rather than with the women. And there was a lot of that, seemingly every other time I looked up from my reading.
And as for the women-only segments of the program? They were just OK, these segments. The women were beautiful and very well put together (in that athletic, dancer sort of way), the costumes were interesting, and the dancing complemented the accompanying music. There was a critical element missing, however, that ultimately impaired my enjoyment of the performance…
No poles.
Via blog-buddy Morgan, we get this link to a BBC article noting that “Depression is ‘over-diagnosed’.” And like Morgan, my immediate impression was “Gee. Ya think?” Excerpts:
Too many people are being diagnosed with depression when all they are is unhappy, a leading psychiatrist says.
Professor Gordon Parker claims the threshold for clinical depression is too low and risks treating normal emotional states as illness.
Writing in the British Medical Journal, he calls depression a "catch-all" diagnosis driven by clever marketing.
But another psychiatrist writing in the journal contradicts his views, praising the increased diagnosis of depression.
Professor Ian Hickie writes that an increased diagnosis and treatment of depression has led to a reduction in suicides and removal of the old stigma surrounding mental illness.
Under the current diagnosis guidelines, around one in five adults is thought to suffer depression during their lifetime. This costs the UK economy billions in lost productivity and treatment.
[…]
Marjorie Wallace, chief executive of the mental health charity Sane, said: "Depression can be a complex and challenging condition ranging from feeling low to being so disabled that the person may be unable to get out of bed in the morning, sustain relationships or work.
"It is not surprising that with such a wide range of symptoms, identification varies from one doctor to another.
One can go back and forth on this subject, spending endless hours in beer- or scotch-fueled debate, and I have. Speaking as an individual who’s been diagnosed in the past as “clinically depressed,” and further as an individual who spent a couple of months on Paxil as a direct-result of said diagnosis, I believe depression IS over-diagnosed. But there’s also merit in the counter-argument, regarding the reduction in suicides and such. I suppose it all depends on the accuracy of the diagnosis and the severity of the depression…which can range from feeling low to climbing out on that ledge.
My depression was pretty debilitating even though I was never suicidal. I suffered from the sort of depression that left me incapacitated, in that I would literally spend days on my couch staring blankly at the TeeVee from a fetal position…unable to go to work, feed myself, or perform even the barest of human functions, save relieving myself. It was pretty bad.
Still and even, I took myself off the Paxil after two months and after re-visiting my doctor (there are dire warnings about “stopping abruptly” in the drug packaging. God only knows what that means.) My personal experience… and I emphasize the “personal” here… was the depression, even in its worst stages, was preferable to walking around in a gauzy sort of haze where I felt nearly nothing. The drug “leveled me out” in such a way that I didn’t feel anything: no joy, no sadness, nothing. I hated that, and preferred the occasional bouts of “sleep on the couch” for days as opposed to being chemically numbed-up. It was sorta like Novocain for the psyche. Not good, in other words.
I still get depressed, although the bouts are mild and infrequent. But I’ll never resort to drugs for the condition, ever again. Unless I’m institutionalized, of course, and if I ever get to that point the situation will be well and truly out of my control.
This is worth repeating. The FBI has determined that in some cases, it's better to let innocent people be assaulted, murdered, or wrongly sent to prison than to halt a drug investigation involving one of its confidential informants.
Could Murphy assure the U.S. Congress, Delahunt and Lundgren asked, that the FBI has since instituted policies to ensure that kind of thing never happens again?
Murphy hemmed and hawed, but ultimately said that he could not make any such assurance. That in itself should have been huge news.
Shortly after the Johnston hearings concluded, another informant scandal emerged.
Jarrell Bray, a longtime informant for the Drug Enforcement Administration's Cleveland field office, admitted that with the cooperation of DEA agent Lee Lucas, he had repeatedly lied in court to secure the convictions of innocent people. Bray said he and Lucas fabricated evidence, falsely accused people who had done nothing wrong, then concocted bogus testimony to secure their convictions.
Bray's admission could result in dozens of overturned convictions.
Dozens of overturned convictions? How about hundreds, if not thousands? These guys are out-of-frickin’-control. Please: Tell me how much good the “War on Drugs” is doing, will ya? Can ya? I doubt it. I really, seriously doubt it. This war, unlike some others that come to mind, is indefensible, pure and simple.
(h/t: Chap)
Today’s Pic: Didja know there’s such a place as Pennington, Minnesota? Well, now you do, and you have visible proof in the form of a hastily (and poorly) composed pic of El Casa Móvil De Pennington, in Pennington. Or something like that.
June, 2000.

7 comments:

  1. I hear ya about depression. Have had the same diagnosis twice in my life. And both times I refused meds - just didn't want that haze that you talk about. Battled thru and spent collective years in therapy getting to the root causes of my depression. Took a long time - 3 separate stints with a therapist over a 12 year period - but well worth it. Hard - you bet. Suicidal - twice. Recovered now - yes.

    I do still get "depressed" sometimes now, but I see it as more unhappy than anything else.

    Mozart is proof, in my book, of the existence of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Battled thru and spent collective years in therapy getting to the root causes of my depression.

    Ah. I didn't talk about that aspect of depression. First of all: I'm glad therapy worked for you, Kris. Seriously.

    No doctor will prescribe meds for depression without corresponding therapy, or so I'm told. I, too, went into therapy/counseling during the time I was on Paxil. I quit going around the time I decided to stop taking the drugs.

    The cause of my depression was pretty specific: my divorce. I saw my therapist twice a week for the first two weeks, and then once a week until I quit. My therapist, God Bless her, was a thoughtful and competent psychiatrist. She shocked the living Hell out of me when she told me that she (a) thought I had a good handle on the cause of my depression (well, duh!) and (b) there wasn't much more she could do for me. Her bottom line, expressed thusly: "some times bad things happen to good people." I'm NOT kidding...she really said that. I thanked her and didn't schedule a follow-on appointment, by mutual agreement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost missed the "no pole" comment.LOL

    Depression is a serious disease. I did a couple of nursing rotations in a mental health clinic. I really saw the difference in a good therapist and a bad one. Seems like both you and Kris had good ones. Divorce can be so hard on the Human Psyche... Please don't give up on us women folk...

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buck, I would say that was a darn good therapist - honest.

    I happened to listen to Mozart last night, also, while driving home from painting on the house - very soothing. Sorry I missed the dancers though - pole or no. Jesse and I went to a ballet one time - we got so tickled at the guys dancing (their tight little buns and, hmm, rather large cups) people around us became irritated with us. You can take the girls out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelly said: Please don't give up on us women folk...

    Too late! (Just kidding!) (I think.)

    Lou and Shelly: Yes, I think the therapist I worked with was a good one. I wasn't complaining.

    I lied, btw, about dance recitals. I've seen "The Nutcracker" several times. Forgot about that... there may be more, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be drinking a toast to you tonight, m'friend. You could have stayed on the Paxil. Many would have done exactly that.

    Which would have novacained you, while rendering your existence rather pointless. So you chose uncertain purpose and uncertain levels & duration of pain, over guaranteed anesthetization and guaranteed pointlessness. Uncertainty over guarantees, opportunities over feeling-good. Some would see that as a trivial decision to make. I see it as the building-block from which everything in this whole damn culture worth having, at one time, was cemented together.

    This country would be so much better off if a third of the people living in it had your balls. Those, and the wheelbarrow you must need to carry them. Here's to ya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morgan: I appreciate your comment and agree with the sentiment that drives your train of thought. Some of us do things that simply seem "natural," without giving motive or motivation for a specific action a whole lot of thought. Or, in other words it's one's internal values that matter, and it's pretty hard to sustain behavior that is in conflict with those values. If one wants to ascribe a higher motive, that is. A lot more could be said here...

    I gave this issue a lot of thought before I acted, and that included discussing the situation with my doctor, who originally wanted to take me off Paxil and put me on something else...maybe Prozac (aiiiee! The BAGGAGE associated with that name!), but I don't remember. There are a LOT of alternative anti-depressants out there, each with their own side-show of documented "side effects." But the bottom line was as you stated: go through life numbed up, or take your lumps... highs, lows, and in between... as God intended.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.