Monday, June 04, 2007

Be It Ever So Humble...

…there’s no place like home. I’m there, and it’s an understatement to say I’m pleased. My own bed. My own PC. My own stuff. Getting away is nice, visiting with friends and family is nicer still, but getting back home? Priceless.

I ended as I began, which is to say I covered a whole lotta ground in one sitting. The first day of the trip saw me riding 577.6 miles in 11 hours flat; yesterday I did 591 miles in ten hours and 21 minutes. The difference? Better weather…much better weather. I dodged a bullet, though…a half hour after I got home the frickin’ bottom dropped out and we were inundated with rain. I held my breath, figuratively speaking, for the last 100 miles of the ride. There were HUGE thunderstorms to the east and the south of me as I closed in on P-Town, and it looked like I was gonna be in for it. The gods smiled on me, though, and although I got a smattering or two of rain, it was nothing serious. Fortune, for once, was on MY side.

Oh. Total mileage for the trip: 2267.7 miles. And not even one close call. That last statement just may be the most amazing thing of all.

I only did three things last evening after I got home: returned SN2’s phone call (he rang while I was on the road), took a long hot shower, and fell into bed. And I slept the sleep of the truly exhausted. This morning I feel fine, well-rested, and refreshed. Now I have to get on with life…unpack, pay the bills, and do other assorted things that have gone undone for the past 17 days. Normal blogging, such as it is, will resume tomorrow. In the meantime…

Today’s Pic: The first of perhaps six or eight pics from Arches National Park. I like this particular photo because it shows the scale of the monoliths, which are absolutely HUGE. Note the road winding into the distance and the small dots that are the cars on said road. Riding among, through and between these formations is an awe-inspiring experience.

Saturday, June 2, 2007.

5 comments:

  1. It is true that our own home - familiar surroundings, sites and smells - is almost as good as the trip that took us away from home in the first place.

    And now that you are at your own PC, you MUST review the video you couldn't hear while you were away - Luck. It's SO much better with the sound.

    Welcome Home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are home safe and sound. Toby and I leave for NM tomorrow evening. I think we will drive through Lubbock to see his mom. That means we will be driving through Clovis around lunchtime on Thursday. When we decided to take that route, Toby called it "retracing our former days".

    I love the pic. It needs a lone horseman painted into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kris: I should have revisited your comments to let you know I saw that ad on TeeVee a day later. And I've seen it at least three times since. Pretty good!!

    Lou: I just dropped three comments on your blog. I didn't make my usual rounds yesterday, in fact I didn't read a single blog at all, which is highly unusual (for me).

    It's gonna be pretty warm in these parts when you come through... I hope your A/C is working!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home! Just in time for some heat to hit around here.

    And while you are now back, go check out the "new" restaurant in town. La Hacienda is where TasteeSleeze used to be. I ate at LH once years ago, it was over in a residential area on the NW side of town, kinda a hard place to find. But had great Mexican food. Can't remember how they compared to Juanito's or El Rancho (hubby and mine's first date was at El Rancho, but back when they were right up the road from you by the DMV).

    Hmm, I just rambled about nothing. Welcome back home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny sez: La Hacienda is where TasteeSleeze used to be.

    Where's that, Jenny? I don't remember ever seeing a Tastee-Freeze here in P-Town, but I sure am up for giving new restaurants business! Wanna make sure they (a) make a profit so (b) they stay open!

    And...it's SO good to be home, at the risk of flogging a dead horse!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.