Monday, April 09, 2007

Space Blog, Progressive Patriotism, and Fever

The blog from space…literally. And lots more, too, including some very cool vids. The meat of the blog is in the archives, which detail (and lo, the details!) the preparation and training prior to launch. There are no postings from space, yet.
Charles Simonyi, the former Microsoft software architect and current billionaire, is now the fifth civilian ever to be rocketed into space. (He's on his way to the International Space Station onboard a Soyuz spacecraft that took off from Kazakhstan on Saturday.)
This is what a spectacularly successful career in the IT industry (Xerox PARC and Microsoft) will get you. Well, that and 25 million Yankee Dollars…
Just about the coolest site I’ve seen recently, suitable for kids of all ages! (That’s a hint to SN1 & SN2.)
Chris Bowers writes an interesting essay on progressives and patriotism at MyDD. Excerpts:
Allegiance to a fixed cultural identity is fundamentally at odds with a progressive worldview. Over the past two years, I have written about this at great length in articles such as Maybe It Is A Battle Of Civilizations, Try Something New, and The End of the 1960's? Differing concepts of the value of identity form one of the core differences between progressivism and conservatism: pluralism vs. cultural supremacy, and fluid identity vs. fixed identity. Since progressivism highly values both pluralism and fluid identity, the long-standing, dominant use of the term "patriotism" described in the paragraph above clearly becomes a difficult term with which ideological progressives can self-identify. How is it possible for someone to value both pluralism and fluid identity while simultaneously self-identifying allegiance to a fixed, idealized--even absolutist--cultural identity? That is not very easy, and does not come without a lot of internal tension and self-contradiction.
[…]
In fact, America was founded on exactly the opposite principles: no national religion, no national language, no national media, no national ethnic identity, welcoming borders, and freedom from being forced to cohere with larger cultural norms. We even fought a civil war over this idea, and pluralism won out. (Can the civil war be accurately described as a fight for the cultural distinctness and superiority of, and resulting need of independent sovereignty for, nineteenth century southern white culture from the rest of America? I think it can.) American patriotism is thus the opposite of patriotism in many other countries, and thus in no way causes a self-identification contradiction for progressives. Theocons and anti-immigration cultural supremacists will of course disagree, which is why they regularly argue for things like America being a Christian nation, for keeping brown people out of the country, for mandating prayer in public schools, or making English the official national language. They believe in, and want everyone to cohere with, a discrete and distinct cultural identity for America. Quite frankly, I can hardly think of anything less American and, within an American context, less patriotic than all of that.
I’m no theocon (defined here) and I’m not an “anti-immigration cultural supremacist.” Yet I disagree, especially with Bowers’ allegations that us cultural supremacists (I do admit to being one of those, without the anti-immigration modifier) want to “keep brown people out of the country” and “mandate prayer in public schools.” BS—pure and simple. Allowing prayer is different than mandating it, Mr. Bowers. Prohibiting prayer in schools is the de facto law of the land these days, and is that somehow “better” than allowing prayer? I don’t know of a single conservative—not one—who wants to keep “brown people” out of the country. I know a lot of people, on the other hand, who simply want our existing immigration laws enforced…equally and fairly. And, making English our official national language ain’t such a bad idea. It’s the key to assimilation, and I was always taught (and thus believe) assimilation is what makes America The Great Melting Pot, and it’s the key factor in making our diverse culture work.
On the other hand, Mr. Bowers goes on a great deal about pluralism, about which The Wiki has this to say:
Pluralism is, in the general sense, the affirmation and acceptance of diversity. The concept is used, often in different ways, in a wide range of issues. In politics, the affirmation of diversity in the interests and beliefs of the citizenry, and so political pluralism is one of the most important features of modern democracy. (emphasis in the original)
I don’t disagree with The Wiki, and I’m wholly in favor of pluralism, as described above. I do, however, disagree strongly when pluralism morphs into identity politics, which appears to be the ultimate outcome of the whole diversity “thing” we’ve experienced over the last two decades or so. The key is in knowing when to stop. And that is precisely the point where most liberals fall down. They don’t know when to stop, thus the transformation of pluralism into identity politics which is most often based on rejecting America’s “mainstream culture,” rather than accepting it. It’s pretty damned hard to be patriotic when you don’t like America, isn’t it?
On the whole, Bowers writes an interesting essay even if he lets his dislike of conservatives, and his hyperbolic, misinformed attacks on same get in the way. I’m glad Mr. Bowers considers himself patriotic, and I’m most certainly glad he loves our country. Mr. Bowers is very, very big on this pluralism thing (follow the three links in the excerpt posted above and you’ll see). And that’s all well and good, assuming he considers conservatives to be part of that plurality. I’m not sure he does.
The pressure…the PRESSURE! It’s getting out of hand. SN2 is putting the ol’ RD back on the road (as noted elsewhere on the blog) and is running me HARD about buying another bike. Then I learn that SN1, with d-i-l Erma egging him on, is actively bike shopping. Lou’s partner in crime just bought a Kwacker…pic here. What’s a guy to do?
Well, for starters, I just might go over to The Big(ger) CityTM today and check out one of these:
A Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom. Dual-purpose. Fast fire-roader. Competent street bike. Fever.
Sheesh. I thought I’d outgrown this sh!t.
The weather ain’t cooperating, either. It’s supposed to be 70 today, although we got off to a chilly start. With fog, believe it or don’t. I’m oh-so-ready to get back to “normal,” whatever that might be, in addition to WARM. Coz it sucks to ride in the cold, yanno?

6 comments:

  1. It is amazing the fear tactics used by the left. Just mention that we need to control immigration or have English as the offical language and you are automatically labled a bigot/brown hater. Nothing could be further from the truth, but people back off of the topic because of fear of being labled some sort of hate monger.
    "Allowing prayer is different than mandating it, Mr. Bowers. Prohibiting prayer in schools is the de facto law of the land these days, and is that somehow “better” than allowing prayer?" - I think you said it well, Buck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an irresponsible child I was permanently fastened to my Honda V45 Sabre and as a responsible pot-bellied boring middle-aged goat, I'm strictly on four wheels. But that's just for now. I'm still heavily biased toward the V4 because I like the way it sounds.

    Which puts me out-of-step with the marketplace because the Harley-wannabe fad just won't die. I'm trying to find a way to turn my quirky preferences to my economic advantage. My first preference is the Yamaha VMAX but I'm also considering the inline-4 Honda CB1300.

    My lady is 5'1" so you can surmise from the pictures I'm leaning heavily toward the Yamaha. Even with the lower rear seat she'll need some kind of assist.

    Anyway, that's where I'm at. I'm a cheapass so I usually spring for these August to October...although with a new model, I don't suppose that would make a lot of difference. You'll probably be in the saddle a few months before me. Don't forget to wear all your gear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a bud that owns a VMAX, Morgan, and he loves the thing. It's a rocket, to be sure, but my buddy sez it's pretty comfortable, too. I don't think you can go wrong with one...

    I just bought my first ever vee twin, which is more of a Duck wanna-be than a Harley wanna-be. Strangely enough, the aforementioned Bud owns a Duck, too.

    It's gonna be a loooong time until Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, how cool! Will you do anything with it? Like poker runs or rallys? I don't know anything about motorcycles, but we had a poker run as a fundraiser at the school here a couple of years ago (but is now a golf tournament. As I don't ride bikes or golf, it doesn't really matter to me. Though I would love to learn to play golf). We have a couple of 4-wheelers here (one for the adults, which is a Honda, and one for the kiddos, which is some cheap brand). Anyway, enjoy your new wheels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny said: Will you do anything with it? Like poker runs or rallys?

    I've never been much on organized group riding things, Jenny. I intend to take more than a few road trips on it...I've seen some interesting by-ways up north (e.g., in the mountains) that I wouldn't take the Green Hornet down but look just perfect for a motorcycle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We go camping at some beautiful country up north. We go to Mora with our camper a couple times a year (hubby's family has a bit of land up there). Huge hill from Holman to Taos that may be fun (or just scary) on a bike. Beautiful country, cold nights.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.