Friday, February 16, 2007

Geeky Stuff, Voting with One's Feet, and Cars

A good read…The Story of Sergey Brin…How the Moscow-Born entrepreneur cofounded and changed the way the world searches.” If you’re not familiar with the name, Mr. Brin, son of Russian immigrants, is a co-founder of Google. A lengthy (i.e., about a 10 minute read) biographical sketch with lots of detail. Good stuff.

Got broadband? Frequent readers know I bemoan the state of my ‘net connection, in terms of both reliability and speed, but most particularly speed. I pay for a 384 Kbps connection but only rarely do I actually get close to 384 Kbps. There have been times when my connection speed, as measured by CNet, is down around dial-up speeds. I was getting 263.8 Kbps when I wrote this post, which isn’t all that bad, but insufficient to support streaming video (think: YouTube; and see the graphic on the right). And, now that the digression has passed, I don’t consider 384 Kbps to be “broadband.” But, it looks like I’m wrong:

The July, 2005, FCC report that he was citing, which promoted and defended the state of broadband access in the U.S., has received pointed criticism for defining a "high-speed" line as one delivering service of at least 200 Kbps in at least one direction, and for defining a ZIP code as "covered" by broadband access even if just a single broadband line is active in that region. It is true that 200 Kbps was, even in 2005, a minimal definition of "broadband," but it's a level that's largely inadequate for delivering much of what is commonly accepted as "broadband-level service," such as streaming video and swift downloads of large files. It seems clear that measuring "broadband access" by even the relatively modest speeds of 1Mbps or higher would drastically cut the estimate of U.S. broadband penetration.

And that’s the thrust of this article: When It Comes To Broadband, U.S. Plays Follow The Leader. Aside from “dumbing down” the definition of broadband, it turns out that the US isn’t in the same league as South Korea, Japan, and many countries in Northern Europe when it comes to the numbers of broadband access lines (relative to population), connection speed, and, believe it or not, price. That’s a sorry state of affairs for a country that prides itself on being a technological leader.

Hey Yucca Telecom!! Where’s my fiber connection?

A little fall-out from the William “Obscene Amenities for Mercenaries” Arkin flap: retired Army Col. Ken Allard severs his ten-year relationship with NBC.

But has anyone else noticed the network's precipitous retreat from journalistic and ethical standards? Not only were no apologies given and no pink slips issued for Arkin's outburst, but on his MSNBC show last week, Keith Olberman went out of his way to defend this "valid criticism" of our military.

[…]

But sometimes the only way to show where you really stand is to vote with your feet. And so with great reluctance and best wishes to my former colleagues, with this column I am severing my 10-year relationship with NBC News.

Good on ya, Colonel! Col. Allard mentions the odious Olbermann in passing…he of the recently-renewed contract with MS-NBC and apparent Arkin apologist. I didn’t know ol’ Keith was going to bat for Arkin, but Hey! …they’re two peas in a pod, as far as I’m concerned. In the press release about Olbermann’s contract renewal, NBC had this to say:

"Keith Olbermann is a tremendous talent and a superb broadcaster," said NBC News President Steve Capus. "He is an asset to NBC News and the timing of this announcement couldn't be better given the momentum Keith's program is enjoying right now."

Good luck with your new tired old Left-wing liberal strategy, NBC. I suppose it does sell.

“What’s for dinner?” That perennially vexing question of the day, everyday, was solved quite nicely last evening. Granddaughter Felicity and her boyfriend René were in P-Town yesterday and took me out to dinner in Felicity’s brand new GMC Acadia. Dinner was a “thank-you” for the GM employee discount Felicity used to take a couple of thousand dollars off the Acadia’s purchase price. Felicity remarked she thought it odd that everyone in SN1’s family drive GM products, yet I do not…and I’m the source of that employee discount. Yeah, it is passing strange. And likely to remain that way, too. Although I really, really want to buy GM, I can’t bring myself to select the Solstice/Sky over the Miata. And there’s gonna be a new Miata in El Casa Móvil De Pennington’s driveway sometime later this year.

The Acadia is nice, though. So was dinner…a nice rib-eye washed down with a couple of pints of Fat Tire. And good conversation, too!

6 comments:

  1. http://www.pontiac.com/solstice/index.jsp

    I understand the Miata. (Well, not really... but to each their own) Have you looked at Pontiac's roadster?

    Why not use the discount, if it's available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you looked at Pontiac's roadster?

    Yep... very, very closely. That's why I linked it. As I said, I really want to buy GM, but there are only two cars they make that I want. Here. And here.

    Unfortunately I'm not in that segment of the market any longer. Even with my discount!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now that I think about it... re: "understanding the Miata."

    It all goes back to the second car I owned... a 1957 TR-3A. The ol' "classic Brit sports car" thing...wind in your hair, sliding around corners, tuning dual SUs, cursing Lucas, Prince of Darkness, buying 50 lb. bags of oil soak every other month, yadda, yadda. The Miata is all that was good about Brit sports cars, but with absolutely none of the bad. A brick couldn't be more reliable, and there are few things in life that are as much fun!

    So that's my affinity for the thing. You had to be there, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a '79 MGB. For four years. I am through with $450.00 starters and catalytic converters that wear out. Carburetors; Multiple, too.

    Mi Esposa likes the looks of the Pontiac. I'm not sure about the lite drivetrain. I would really prefer something with ponies, maybe a Crossfire. I needs a little get up and go. 'Specially on a freeway onramp.

    Q. Why do the British drink their beer warm?

    A. Because Lucas designed the refrigeration.

    You must be channeling the Spousal Unit's dream car fantasy. The Cadillac (with Vette running gear)= Doubleplus desirability! But not on our budget, either.

    I was not knocking the choice of car!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having owned and driven (extensively) a Miata, I'd say the Miata is a better car than the Pontiac or Saturn because it's more of a driver's car. It doesn't do anything bad; it accelerates well, top speed is good too (I plead the 5th as to how fast, but it was fast and the car was solid at speed) and the handling is superb. Above and beyond the performance issues, the car is comfortable and has enough space to pack for a weekend (the Pontiac and Saturn... not so much). The top is one of th best features, it can be pulled up with (literally) two fingers. I'll own another one some day, but right now I've got my other two toys (74 Karmann Ghia and 92 Camaro) to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, the late 70s were perhaps the nadir of Brit sports cars, what with early emissions controls that didn't work well at all (when they worked), those ridiculous "safety" bumpers, and the decline of the Brit auto industry, in general. Dark days for MG, Triumph, and AC lovers...

    I admire your sense of adventure with that MG, dc. And the Lucas refrigeration joke is a classic, LOL!

    Well said (and agreed), Sam.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.