Saturday, December 02, 2006

Another Day, Another Bar



So…I’m glad it wasn’t too, too cold last evening (only 20-something for a low), because Albert The Propane Guy didn’t show up yesterday. His truck needed a “little bit of work” in order to pass inspection and he didn’t make it back from Roswell until late last night. He came by about 15 minutes ago and filled me up. El Casa Móvil De Pennington is now toasty-warm…and will stay that way until I have to fill up again. At the rate I’m burning propane, and assuming this cold snap hangs on, that will be about a week. Our high today will be 38 degrees, and we’re going down to 15 tonight. My new ceramic heater keeps things warm in here if the temp doesn’t drop any lower than, say, 25 or so. I was lucky last night. If it had gotten really cold, I’d have visited the Holiday Inn Express across the highway. And gotten a lil bit smarter in the process, doncha know.

Today’s Pic(s): A couple more “bar shots,” this time from the Plaza Hotel in beautiful Las Vegas, New Mexico. The second pic obviously requires explanation. The ex-girl friend and I had stopped into the Plaza on the way back from Taos one weekend and stumbled into a publicity video shoot for the Plaza Hotel bar, part of a re-work of their web site (the footage never made it to the web site, for one reason or another). That’s the proprietress on the bar, caught in a pose. She joined us for a couple of drinks after the shoot was done, and Boy Howdy! was she ever a hoot! A German by birth, and a naturalized American, she’d come to Las Vegas about 30 years ago with her husband, who was a career Army sergeant. He retired, they stayed. And she’s still there, but her husband has passed on. She tried to talk us into staying for the night and letting the party go on. We considered it, too. But, alas, there was no room at the inn…it was graduation weekend and the hotel was full-up. So we motored on back to Clovis after our second drink. May, 2004.

2 comments:

  1. I had forgotten how decent bars could be. I‘ve been in some that seem to have a personality of their own, which they probably get from the characters that attend services in them. Man, I’ll bet there’s some great stories to be told. I think I’m going to redo mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every bar has a personality, some more than others, obviously! You might be surprised at how many hits I get from people looking for "Wakkanai Club Seven." Then again, maybe you wouldn't! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.