Sunday, August 13, 2006

It's a Beautiful Morning...

Today’s Pic: A snap from the USS Mason (DDG87) commissioning ceremony in Port Canaveral, Florida, April 12, 2003. The Mason is one of SN2’s former rides; he was the Mason’s Chief Engineer, or CHENG. The Navy really puts on a show when commissioning a new warship. I was definitely privileged to attend the ceremony and am still impressed, to this very day.

Ya know, it’s hard for me to let go when I hit on a topic. I’m really not an obsessive-compulsive sort of person, but I’ll forgive you if you think otherwise, given the narrow range of subject matter I’ve been focusing on of late. Things like Iran, the Hezbollah War, criminally-ignorant Lefties, and the BBC. I’ve written about little else lately. So let’s not break the mold. Here’s my latest “find” on one of my favorite subjects: the Beeb. It’s an op-ed in Real Clear Politics by James Lewis titled “The BBC and Home-Grown Terrorists.” Mr. Lewis articulates, quite powerfully, at that, the profound effect Auntie has on Britain’s disaffected Muslim youth.

If you were a young Muslim teenager growing up in Leeds, you too might be fertile soil for Islamofascism. The reason is simple: In a culture pervaded by the BBC, the message of the Labour Left would be drummed home to you over and over again: Britain is evil, America is evil, Israel is evil, capitalism is evil, democracy is a fraud. The education system would teach you a damning picture of the British Empire, which had its immoral side, but was also the greatest civilizing agent in the world for centuries.

[…]

So when some local imam starts to preach hatred of Britain, America, Israel, and Western culture, they are tilling fertile soil. British teens are all prepared to hate their country; it's the in thing to do. They are given a constant set of provocations: Guantanamo, and the "torture" of Muslims; the toilet-flushing of Korans by the evil Americans; the "imperialism" of America and its "poodle" Britain. Israel killing children in Qana. Just recently the BBC produced a "comedy" show with airplanes flying into Westminster, in imitation of 9/11. Is 9/11 the stuff of comedy? It is for the Bolshie Beeb. The show features guest appearances by the two main "news" anchors of the BBC. It's all a big joke to the Left, which secretly sympathizes with the fascists of Londonistan.

Like the United States, Britain is in bad, bad shape to fight a war for civilization. London Mayor "Red Ken" Livingstone and Oily George Galloway are constantly whipping up more resentment against the West. Muslims from pre-medieval places like Pakistan are easily winning the demographic race. The Jewish vote is now scattered and negligible, and Labour is not above using anti-Semitic cartoons depicting Jewish Conservatives as flying pigs.

I made note of the fact that a large part of the BBC’s Newsnight coverage this past Thursday was devoted to trying to assign blame for terrorism to American and British foreign policy and a justification of disaffected British Muslim “hostility.” And that was just one program. To think the British public is subjected to a constant, day in and day out bombardment of these asininities gives one pause. And you know what’s worse? We in America aren’t that far behind Great Britain. There is a critical difference, however. America doesn’t have near the same problems with unassimilated minorities as the British have. Thank God for that! But that doesn’t mean we’re getting off Scot-free in that regard; the rise of identity politics and the ever-widening culture of victimization create our own versions of disaffected and unassimilated minorities. And while we don’t have anything remotely comparable to the Beeb’s monolithic dominance of British airwaves here in the US, it’s not too much of a leap to compare the Beeb’s perspective with that of ABC/CBS/NBC and NPR. They have much in common. And don’t get me started on the New York Times, or, for that matter, the Academy. The Left is all about self-loathing, be it the British Left or the American Left. I detest that.

The West is at war with a radical ideology that wants nothing less than the destruction of our culture. Our culture needs defenders, not detractors. We most certainly don’t need the Fourth Estate functioning as a Fifth Column. One looks at Britain and wonders, seriously, if it isn’t already too late. And the BBC just prattles raves on, apparently oblivious to the damage they’re doing. What a shame.

While we’re on about recent topics, James Pinkerton, writing at TCS Daily, starts out with Joe Lieberman’s primary loss and discusses political heresy in “Why Political Heretics are Worse than Infidels.”

Joe Lieberman is a heretic. Please don't get me wrong. Nobody, not even Lieberman's enemies, questions the Connecticut Senator's abiding Orthodox Jewish religious faith. But as Tuesday's primary election shows, a majority of Nutmeg State Democrats see their senator as disloyal to the party line, which is increasingly dovish on Iraq. And a heretic, of course, is much worse than an infidel.

Here's the distinction: An infidel is someone who never believed what you believe; an infidel is a stranger, and so there's not much point in investing emotions in him. But a heretic is someone you know well, someone who once believed what you believe, but now has a different faith -- that's much more threatening. You often fight wars against infidels, and in those wars you seek to defeat, even destroy, the enemy. But with heretics, even tougher measures are needed, because the threat of heresy is so much more insidious, threatening to eat away the true faith. So you launch inquisitions against heretics, to eliminate even the thought of heresy. The proper anti-heretical strategy is to torture 'em, make 'em confess, make 'em repent -- and then kill 'em.

Happily, American politics isn't nearly so brutal, albeit still intense. And yet the basic heretics vs. infidels dichotomy explains why intra-party fights are so much more bitter than inter-party fights. To this day, for example, the Democrats know Which Side They Were On in big intra-party feuds -- even if they were too young actually to have been part of the feud.

We might consider, for example, one epochal feud-year for the Democrats: 1948. That was the year that lefty Democrats split off from the party, and from President Harry Truman, to join the pro-Soviet third-party candidacy of former vice president Henry Wallace. Six decades later, that sundering still echoes; The New Republic's Peter Beinart, himself born in the 70s, published a book that revisits 1948. Its militant title, The Good Fight: Why Liberals -- and Only Liberals -- Can Win the War on Terror and Make America Great Again, signals Beinart's message for today: that the fight against hawkish heretical Democrats has gone too far -- and that the answer is to fight right back. He wants Democrats to draw inspiration from past struggles, from the days when Cold War liberals battled crypto-communists. And so Beinart supported Lieberman, of course, against the primary campaign waged against the incumbent by challenger Ned Lamont. Needless to say, Beinart's left-bashing has been reciprocated by plenty of Beinart-bashing from lefties, including The Nation's Eric Alterman. And so the guns of 1948 are still not silenced, and the wounds are still open.

Pinkerton doesn’t focus only on Democrats, he cites examples of heresy in Republican ranks also. As an example, the ideological underpinnings of the Reagan Revolution were, at one point in time, viewed as heresy by mainstream Republicans. One must be careful in organizing and carrying out political inquisitions of the sort that unseated Senator Lieberman, however. The Law of Unintended Consequences is terribly unforgiving.

Random Notes…

Our bodies are wonderful things. I’ve written all too often about how I hate housework. As an example, I vacuum on an “as required” basis, one definition of “as required” is when I observe the buildup of gray blond hair on my dark blue bathroom rug. As I was emptying the vacuum canister into the trash yesterday I noticed there was enough hair in there to knit a small dog, and it’s always so. It’s a minor miracle I’m not completely bald at this point in life, judging by the amount of hair I shed. My body must devote 25% of its physical energy towards hair production, and that’s a good thing for a semi-vain old man.

Ads that make me smile:

  1. The current Mac-vs-PC ads. These ads capture perfectly the essence of what Mac-o-philes like about Macs and rail about PCs. I’m a PC kinda guy, always have been, always will be. But these ads are clever and they do make me smile. The ads won’t convince me to buy a Mac, but they DO make me smile. See ‘em all here.
  2. The new Jaguar ads. The new XK is simply frickin’ gorgeous, and the “XK Launch” ad is my favorite in the new series of ads…especially the music used as background. The ads are all well crafted and are beautiful. Here’s an ad campaign that actually could convince me to buy…if I had the money. But…when it comes to the XK, “From $75,500.00” is a helluva lot of money; I’ve bought houses for less. That probably sez more about my age and less about the real estate market and cars, however.

And so it goes…

7 comments:

  1. Yep, it is a beautiful mornin'. Gorgeous ship photo you shared, Buck - which added to the good spirits of the day.

    Yeah, I like those Mac/PC adds. The casting is perfect! A chubby Bill Gates! (I also like PC's, better. I'm just used to them, I guess)

    Your discussion of heretics vs infidels was interesting! I've thought about that a lot in my life. It's human nature to "hate" those closest to us, if they turn away. It's certainly true in religion - leaving some religious cults can get you killed! It's true in family, too. We usually feel more intense "hatred" toward the traitorous sister, to whom we've told our secrets, than we might toward Uncle Joe - as unpleasant as he might be. I suspect it comes from the need to protect the self and by extension, the tribe. That's why loyalty is so prized. If you lose trust, you have nothing. Traitors are despised in all cultures (although a discussion of the mafia and Arab tribes vs democracies would be fascinating...).
    That being said, for gosh sakes, it was just a political party! I felt the same reaction when I questioned blog folks on the Left, from a lefty position. Nooo, don't go there! (Poor Joe) (I've met a lot of folks like me, lately. Are there any defectors from the other side?)

    Anyway, there seems to be big confusion about the thin line between freedom of thought and disloyalty, the right to one's beliefs and what is best for the common good. Family loyalty, patriotism, ideology... I'm feeling philosophical today, but not that philosophical!

    Say, great analysis on the BBC, too. And so depressing!

    But here, I've got something to cheer us up. This article, written by a BBC guy, was on The Anchoress' blog yesterday. I mentioned her, but forgot to link to this. (I even thought I'd gotten it from your blog and looked all over for it before I remembered) Americans Will Die for Liberty. I plan on sending it to my dad today. It will cheer him up, too.

    Thanks for the forum, Buck. Sorry if I've run off at the mouth. I know I'm only writing what you and other folks have understood for a million years. :)

    Sounds like a Pretend Cease Fire coming up, do you think? Especially since Hezbollah is telling Siniora that it intends to keep its weapons... (Say, what??)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colonel Miri Eisen, a bright lady!

    A very honest and wise Lebanese writer, Michael Béhé in Beirut:

    "The politicians, journalists and intellectuals of Lebanon have, of late, been experiencing the shock of their lives. They knew full well that Hezbollah had created an independent state in our country, a state including all the ministers and parallel institutions, duplicating those of Lebanon. What they did not know – and are discovering with this war, and what has petrified them with surprise and terror – is the extent of this phagocytosis..."

    Also, Sandmonkey's post is hilarious today: (Jumping on the Bandwagon) "Dear Nasrallah..." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Things like Iran, the Hezbollah War, criminally-ignorant Lefties, and the BBC. I’ve written about little else lately."

    I appreciate the analysis more and more every day, because it means I don't have to watch all that clap trap. It makes me really angry. I feel confident I'll see all the important stuff on blogs anyway, and it makes me slightly less angry to read about it 2nd hand. LOL!

    And I don't want to talk about cleaning up hair in the bathroom, okay?

    P.S. - Bec, has it been asked before why you don't blog yourself? You have some good insights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel much like Laurie - I enjoy reading your thoughts on "Things like Iran, the Hezbollah War, criminally-ignorant Lefties, and the BBC." I get so tired and frustrated with the MSM's take on things. I would rather read blogs. You provide great links with lots of interesting views. I would much rather let you surf through leftie waters and bring us little exerpts and analysis. Call me lazy, but I like letting you bring in the news.

    I did manage to catch the tail end of "60 Minutes" tonight which was Mike Wallace interviewing Iran's president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. What little I watched made me crazy. I may have to go back and read the transcript to get the full picture - after my blood pressure goes down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind and encouraging words, Ladies. Seriously. And Bec, thanks again for the great links!

    Laurie sez: P.S. - Bec, has it been asked before why you don't blog yourself? You have some good insights.

    I asked, Laurie, and got some song and dance about "limited computer time."

    :-)

    Seriously, tho, Bec. You ARE quite good. You should throw your hat in the ring.

    Lou: C-SPAN is going to run the complete 60 Minutes interview with Ahmadinejad today. From their web site:

    Monday, August 14
    "60 Minutes": Mike Wallace Interviews Iran's President Ahmadinejad
    On C-SPAN at 8 & 11pm ET


    I think I heard Brian Lamb say the interview will run 90 minutes, i.e., unedited, but I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I caught a few minutes of Glenn Beck on the radio on the way to work this morning, he was talking about the Wallace interview. I enjoy his style. He would play part of the clip and then stop it and say, "wait, wait, wait, Mike, there was your opportunity to ask why Iran needs nukes when they are sitting on enough oil to last a billion years, I mean their country should be shaped like a dinosaur because of all the fossil fuel"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the C-SPAN tip. I watched a few more minutes of the interview, but this is Monday night, and there is football, and I do live in OK.

    By the way, the amount of hair that Jesse and I can produce on the bathroom floor is awesome. We could probably go in to the wig business.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.