Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Wandering Around on Wednesday

Some days I cruise around the ‘sphere and don’t find much of anything that tickles my fancy. Today is not one of those days.

Cassandra is good today, very good. I encourage you to go by her place and read her “Must Read of the Day,” an address by General Michael R. Lehnert, the Commanding General of Marine Corps Installations West, to The Military Affairs Advisory Council in San Diego. Gen. Lehnert begins his speech with…

Eight days ago, I was present in the audience when Tom Brokaw addressed the 2006 Stanford graduating class. After the initial pleasantries and one-liners, Mr. Brokaw said something unexpected.

He told the class that they were the children of privilege, fortunate to be attending one of the finest educational institutions in the country, the anointed because they had both the test scores for admittance and parents who were able to afford their tuition. He noted that they could likely expect rapid advancement in almost any endeavor they choose and that they were destined to lead the most powerful country in the world.

The class was beaming.

And then Brokaw reminded them that the liberties and freedoms they enjoyed were being defended by young people their age that did not have their advantages. That at this time thousands of men and women were fighting, dying and suffering debilitating injury to ensure that the rest of us could live the American dream.

There was an uncomfortable shifting in the seats, followed by slow but growing applause from the audience.

When we sent my son to Stanford four years ago, we filled out a form asking for demographic information. One of the questions for the parents said, what is your profession? After it was a list of about thirty professions including doctor, lawyer, congressman, educator, architect. Military was not listed so I filled in "other"

My son was the only graduate who had a parent serving in the armed forces.

As I was introduced to his friends parents, it was interesting to watch their reaction. Few had ever spoken to a member of the military. One asked me how my son was able to gain admittance with the disadvantage of having to attend "those DoD schools". Many voiced support for our military and told me that they'd have served but clearly military service was not for their kind of people.

This year of the so-called elite schools, Princeton led them with nine graduates electing military service. Compare that with 1956 when over 400 of the Princeton graduating class entered the military. Most of the other Ivy League schools had no one entering the military this year.

I assume the emphasis is Cassandra’s, but no matter. The speech just gets better, and better, and better. I know a speech like this is “preaching to the choir” for you, constant reader, but please: do go read. And share it with your friends.

While we’re on about Cassandra, she also pointed James Lileks to this miserable column by the totally clue-free and supremely irritating Joel Stein. Remember Joel? If the name is faintly familiar, he’s the guy who wrote another miserable little column titled “I Don’t Support the Troops Warriors and Wusses.” (FWIW, I commented here.) This time he’s showing his ass thusly, and on the Fourth of July, no less:

I WALKED out Saturday afternoon to discover an American flag planted outside my house, like the work of some incredibly stupid explorer.

My first panic was that, like the North Pole or the moon, the United States was laying claim to my house. I was finally getting payback for not reading those long, boring articles about eminent domain. But my bigger panic was over what to do with it. I'm not a flag-waving kind of guy, but I knew damn well that I couldn't just throw it in the trash. Throwing away a flag is very, very bad. It's just as bad as burning it, which, I believe, brings 30 years of bad luck to your country, leading it to repeat the same mistakes. Like sending troops abroad to fight in open-ended civil wars.

So I was going to have to keep this flag for the rest of my life.

Much like you, at about this point, my wife, Cassandra, got sick of this conversation. So she plucked the flag out of our planter and threw it away, not even in the recycle bin. This is a woman who hates both political parties.

Mr. Lileks was just a little bit offended and devotes a goodly portion of today’s Bleat to ripping Mr. Stein a new one. The Lileks closes with this:

I suspect, perhaps unfairly, that “I love being American” (ed: Stein’s comment) is as deep and profound a statement as “I love the warm feeling of freedom I get when I pee in the pool.” Not that he would want public urination in a communal locale to be the sole basis of his identity, of course, but that’s how I see him now: one guy bobbing in the water, alone among many, a private smile on his face, thinking: like I’m the only one.

Hanging a flag is a sign of an unquestioning, tribal, us-versus-them, arrogant mentality, eh? FDR would have stood up from his wheelchair just to walk across the room and slap you silly.

That’s “just” the end. Like a lot of other things in life, it ain’t the destination, it’s the journey that counts. There are few better at the art of the takedown than James; once again, do go read.

For what it’s worth, I’ve never met an individual like Mr. Stein, and by that I mean a person who would be offended by the very sight of an American flag on his lawn. Never. Perhaps I move in society’s lower circles, or perhaps I don’t get out often enough. I tend to think it’s neither of those reasons; I’d like to think that Mr. Stein is a member of an incredibly small minority, a minority that gets too much attention from the majority. And I’ve already given that SOB waaay too much of my time today.

About the terrorist attacks in Bombay The death toll is now 200. The very first thing that crossed my mind was “Why Bombay? What have the Indians done to offend the Islamofascists?” Neo has an answer to my question that is hard to refute. Along with some good links to other opinions and information on the subject.

8 comments:

  1. SN1 here...and I get perticulary aroused by flag discussions. As a member of our Armed Forces I feel the right and responsibility to uphold those statutes regarding proper respect for the flag. I've been known to remove neighbor's flags improperly displayed, or worse, flags fallen on the ground (!) and return them (at my leisure) along with a (hopefully, received as such) gentle admonishment regarding proper respect for the flag.

    People like Joel Stein baffle me. I don't understand their way of thinking and am only happy that I'm not afflicted with their particular malady, thank God.

    It is a free country, made so by those of us willing to stand up and protect that freedom. I don't want or expect everyone to follow the same path that my family has traditionally followed. I only wish that those who didn't or don't would at least acknowledge the efforts and sacrifice of those that do.

    No huge PR campaign required, no one-page ads in major newspapers, or commercials on TV (although there are some out there and they are appreciated!) but a simple respect for the symbol of our nation and the occaisional nod of approval.

    I've received many of those over the years and everytime it happens...I smile and thank God we have those people in our presence.

    Makes it all worthwhile...

    As Sam (SN2) would say:

    My .02$

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Buck.

    When I first read Lileks, and then Stein, I immediately thought about the Boy Scout troop that put out the flags in your subdivision last year, and how we, and your neighbors, all thought it was a grand gesture. I don't know if you read Stein or not, but buried in that column was a couple of "I'm not alone" thoughts, including one from a neighbor of Stein's who called the realtor who placed the flags and said (I'm paraphrasing) "Thanks for the flag. We're going to burn it on the Fourth." My jaw literally dropped.

    Like you, these people simply baffle me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh but the man can write! I really enjoyed the article...particularly the part where he does the interview exchange bit.

    His dissection of Stein's pathetic attempts at humor at the expense of our flag, or worse, the patriotic people that choose to proudly display it, were hilarious. I laughed out loud a couple of times.

    I also meant to comment on General Lehnert's speech. Being that most of my time is spent in and around military installations I am regularly surprised by the lack of knowledge about it amongst the general public.

    This isn't meant as a slight so much as it just goes to show what happens when the warrior class becomes more and more separated from the public it defends.

    I remember when I was a kid...

    I'll stop there. My own experiences aside I think the increasing gap between the mainstream public and the military eventually (not sure how far down the road) leads to mistrust and misunderstanding. I thank God our forefathers had the presence of mind to ensure civilian control and as much as I hear other people complain ('cause you know I never do ;)) about how politicians just don't understand military requirements and won't let us "do what we have to do!" I appreciate the inherent balance the system ensures.

    But I hear people constantly comment on how it sure would be nice if more of our elected leaders had some military experience...

    Anyway...

    I've put in about a dime's worth by now...

    SN1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for Tom Brokaw! He always seems like someone on a mission. He reminds the American public to stay real about how this country remains a safe and prosperous place in which to live. Going to the young elite to present this, in that earnest way he has, was an excellent thing to do.
    As for flag-haters, I've always thought they just had "issues." One can analyize them, but I just shrug my shoulders at them. They're the ones missing that deep and meaningful experience. They remind me of Scrooge.

    What a shame about India. I suspected it had something to do with Bollywood when I first heard about it. (Once I remember Mumbai was now Bombay. I keep forgetting) I heard analysis on CNN yesterday that made sense - it's a humming financial center - crowded, for maximum damage and difficulty of detection. Large, stable Muslim population that they'd love to stir up. Quite Western and thriving these days. But I do remember how Islamic fundamentalists hated some of the Bollywood films that came out a couple of years ago...
    Yep, I remembered correctly. This is from way back in 1991 (Did that work?)

    Mainstream films dealing with issues related to the Muslims have, time and again, invited protests from a section of the Muslim community. Noted film critic Gautam Kaul recalls films which have earned brickbats from a section of their audience but have, nonetheless, been successful.

    Neo's analysis is exactly right. I've been reading up on Islamofascism these last few weeks. Makes a lot of sense.
    Thanks Buck, for that link to Fire and Ice, too. I've been reading him lately.

    And Lileks! I had the house to myself last night and I was laughing so hard I had to dab my eyes. I love the BBQ cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok... here's my $.02... I think the flag burners are not so much flag haters as they are ill tempered toddlers. They only burn the flag for attention. Hell, my 3 year old daughter has more originality in her tantrums. I think another sad aspect of it is that the message the idiots are trying to get accross is often overshadowed by the flag burning.
    I too have a special place in my heart for the flag. I will correct any military member that does not salute the flag (while in uniform) when it passes. I stand up when a flag passes during a parade, because it's the right thing to do.
    My last rant here (going for the dime my brother threw down earlier) is about the National Anthem at sporting events. It kills me to see athletes not showing respect for the flag during the singing/playing of the National Anthem. They often stand around as if nothing is going on, they scratch themselves in inapropriate places or do anything BUT stand and show the appropriate respect.
    I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last spring, I posted a story about giving my hippie/Liberal/lawyer brother in Austin a T-shirt that said "America" on it. I was totally shocked at his very negative reaction to the shirt. I knew he was anti-Bush, but not that he was anti-American. My mom and I have giggled and plotted to put a "honk if you love Jesus" sticker on his bumper, but maybe I will put a flag or "I support the troops" on his vehicle. He is such an oblivian, he will never notice.

    It seems to me (knowing a flag-hater personally)that these people are pretty self-centered people. They hate Republicans and the Bush administration. They associate the flag with conservative; therefore, they hate the flag and anything patriotic. They cannot see the big picture - that left or right, we are all part of the same country - that the flag represents America no matter who controls the government and it is a great country. Someone recently sent me an article by Marion Ward on "why we are in Iraq". One paragraph struck me as particularly good and shows the blindness of some Americans: "The liberal mentality is suppose to favor human rights, civil rights, democracy, multiculturalism,diversity, etc. Americans who oppose the liberation of Iraq are coming down on the wrong side of their own worst enemy. If the Jihad wins, it is the death of Liberalism. Everywhere the Jihad wins, it is the death of Liberalism. And American Liberals just don't get it."

    The last line says it all. I could go on and on, but this is just a comment and not my blog. Besides, I wanted to get my dime in too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bec says: Once I remember Mumbai was now Bombay. I keep forgetting

    No, I'm the one who's wrong; the correct name is Mumbai. I find it hard to change my geographical orientation from what was learned oh-so-long ago. In fact, it was just last week I switched to Beijing from Peking...and I still say "Saigon." :-) So does that make Bollywood Mollywood now?

    Sam: I agree with you on all counts. [Strange, that, eh? :-) ] However, I'd like to point out that not all athletes exhibit behavior like you describe, and you know I'm talking hockey here. One of the GREAT things about the NHL is the playing of both American and Canadian national anthems whenever a Canadian team plays in a US arena and vice versa. And the players are almost always respectful. I have seen some of what you describe, but for the most part...

    Anecdote: During the Edmonton - San Jose series some ignorant Yahoos in San Jose booed the Canadian national anthem as it was being sung. I was apalled...talk about ignorant, disrespectful behavior! And you can bet this behavior did not go unnoticed up in Canuckistan. The next game in the series was played two days later up in Alberta, and the fans in the stands CHEERED the US anthem as it was sung. What a gesture! I was alternately and simultaneously amazed and proud at the citizens of Edmonton for showing us up, going us one better, and felt a renewed sense of shame at our (the San Jose fans) churlish behavior. The folks in Alberta are definitely a class act.

    /war story

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buck -
    After reading that mangled sentence of mine I don't know why you thought I was right! :) Correction: Once I remembered that Bombay was now Mumbai. Sheesh. My only excuse was that my brain was fried because I had just spent 5 hours readying stories, resizing their photos and then inserting them into a scroller on our web site. (A new task I'm taking on at work) I knew I shouldn't have commented!

    Bag Blog - I remember you mentioning that story about your brother. There are lots of folks like him. I'm guessing that they believe that people will think they are conservative Republicans if they wear it! I do know, though, that most liberals hate to see flag-burning - especially done by our own citizens - even if they might not admit it.

    Here's Michael Fay's beautifully written post (with some interesting discussion) on why the military does not appreciate the statement: "I support the troops, but not the war." Pay it Forward - He says, "Most GIs have highly evolved BS meters." He's great. Thanks again for pointing him out, Buck.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.