Thursday, February 16, 2006

An Upset and a Disappointment

That's Olympic hockey. It's been very good this morning! The biggest upset of the tournament so far happened today: Switzerland over the Czech Republic, 3-2. Credit for the upset goes to David Aebischer, Colorado’s absolutely amazing goalie who is the anchor of the Swiss team. I’ve written about Aebischer in the past, praising his performance in the Avs four losses this year to Detroit {smirk}. Aebischer made 40 saves while getting the win this morning. If you check the rosters of these two teams, you’ll be even more impressed with Aebischer. He stopped some serious NHL talent this morning, 42 shots in all. All but one of the Czech players are from the NHL. The Swiss, on the other hand, have only three NHL players on their roster. Still, I think the Swiss have had their 15 minutes of fame. There's simply too much talent in this tournament for the Swiss to prevail. If they win a medal it will be an achievement equal to 1980's Miracle on Ice.
I’m watching the Russians beat Sweden 3-0, as I write. It’s the beginning of the third and I have very mixed emotions. On the one hand, Pavel Datsyuk, one of my favorite Red Wings, is on the Russian team. OTOH, three of my favorite Wings play for Sweden: Nikolas Lidstrom, Mikael Samuelsson, and Henrik Zetterberg. I’m rooting for Sweden. I’m likely to be disappointed. Now it’s 4-0 Russia, with ten minutes left in the third. {sigh}
Here’s a couple of serious time wasters: the Museum of On-Line Museums (Annex). Here’s the Main Page.
The MoOM Annex contains a really cool World Paper Money – Image Galleries – an incredible collection of bank notes from around the world. There are some great WWII nose art images here, in the Main Galleries. As I said, a serious time-waster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just be polite... that's all I ask.