Saturday, February 25, 2006

Do I Miss It?



In the comments to one of my previous posts, Laurie sez/asks:
Tonight low 18, winds 15-25. Alberta Clipper coming through. Tomorrow, high 19. Don't you miss it here?”
"Here" being Rochester, NY. It’s said a picture is worth a thousand words; if that’s true, then my 2,000-word essay on snow is just above this paragraph. Those two pictures aren’t of the highest quality, to be sure, but that’s my car stuck in my driveway, waiting for the tow truck after about 30 minutes of me trying to dig it out. And that’s my deck, too. January 19, 2000. 24 inches. Draw your own conclusions.
Today’s hockey game was OK. Just OK. Congrats to the Czechs, who were nothing like the team that lost to Sweden yesterday. They completely dominated the Russians, who end the tournament with two straight shut-outs. Today’s score was Czech Republic 3, Russia 0. The last goal was an empty-netter. As a side note…I surprised myself today. Although I was sorely tempted to go to the Olympics web site and check the final score before the televised game was over, I didn’t. Watching the first period was hard, because I already knew who did what, and when they did it.
Tomorrow’s Gold Medal game begins at 0600 MST. I can’t decide whether to (a) go to bed very early (an unnatural act if there ever was one) or (b) go to bed after the game, which is more my style. I don’t own an alarm clock, or any other sort of timing device other than my bread pantry, which does double duty as a microwave. I’m undecided at this writing.
NBC’s hockey analysts are split on tomorrow’s game. Ray Ferraro is predicting the Swedes will win, 3-1. Bill Clement says the Finns will win, but declines to predict the score. Clement has been consistently wrong in his predictions throughout the tournament; so much so it’s embarrassing, actually. I’m going to subject myself to some potential embarrassment, right now. It’s an old NHL adage: Defense wins Cups. I don’t see how it’s any different in the Olympics, and the Finns have the best defense I’ve seen during this tournament, bar none. I predict Finland will win, 2-0.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, we have a lot of snow stories :) My favorite picture I have seen, and I can't find it at the moment, shows a group of snowmen on a deck playing poker and drinking beer. Normal snowmen get pretty boring around here. In December, my neighbors up the street had a very unique snow couple. The woman had spikey pine branches for hair and the man had his hands up to his face and a big O shaped mouth as if in complete shock at her hairdo. I drove by it several days thinking darn, I have to remember to bring my camera tomorrow and then the day I had the camera it had warmed up and they fell over. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes. You weren't kidding when you said, "Been there; done that."

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.