Thursday, January 07, 2016

Resolutions...

res·o·lu·tion


ˌrezəˈlo͞oSH(ə)n/  noun
1.
a firm decision to do or not to do something.
"she kept her resolution not to see Anne any more"

synonyms:intention, resolve, decision, intent, aim, plan; More
2.
the action of solving a problem, dispute, or contentious matter.
"the peaceful resolution of all disputes"

synonyms:solution to, answer to, end to, ending to, settlement of, conclusion to
"a satisfactory resolution of the problem"


I have not been resolute in my actions to effect my resolution... but being a determined person, I'm working to remedy my current condition and find a rhythm that will allow me to post and meet my personal and professional obligations.  I've started this post a couple of times, but life being what it is... was side-tracked and pulled away by something (truly) more urgent.  I realized that the times I chose to write, were inherently prone to interruptions... hence the search for a better time of day to write and post... a better routine.


As I mentioned before... part of my strategy will be to include some of Dad's previous posts.  So... here's a snipet from January 7th, 2007:


Jules Crittenden says we’re at a Crossroads
Option One: Pull out. Achieve short-term gratification for those who believe our absence from Iraq will solve our problems. Watch Iraq descend into further violence. Watch a nuclear-armed Iran come to dominate Iraq and the world's richest oil fields.
[…]
More likely, a dispirited people, our army broken by defeat, we'll just wait to see who emerges as the new world power. It will be a while before there is one, and much longer before there is one we would care to live under. I predict a dark age, in which brutal second-rate powers such as Russia, China, Iran and North Korea do what they choose to whom they choose without restraint. An age of modern warlords, with no over-arching, feared power to keep them in check. We can watch the sick man that is Europe slowly succumb. We can watch small free nations try to fend for themselves. We can await the inevitable nuclear crisis.
Does that sound at all medieval or apocalyptic? It is. Don't think we can't go back to that.
Does it sound overly melodramatic and alarmist? If so, you're a fool with no understanding of history. I have bad news for you. The fight against evil in this world is business as usual. It never ends.
There’s more, of course. And you can probably guess what Option Two is.
This morning’s lead item on memeorandum: Revealed: Israel plans nuclear strike on Iran (from The Times UK).



I know hindsight is 20/20... but the foresight in the article above is remarkable.  Think about what North Korea has done... from the Washington Post today:
"The United States and other global powers sharply condemned North Korea on Wednesday, vowing to punish it for conducting a fourth nuclear weapons test. But it was not clear what more the world could do, short of war, to a country that for years has been impervious to international isolation and sanctions."


That's all I have to say about that...
I hope all Exile readers have a wonderful (warm, for those of us in colder climates) day... take wonderful care.


11 comments:

  1. Post when you can, those of us who care will stop by. Some of us you might see wandering through the archives, remembering the man who used to be here, the man we all miss so much. Don't worry about us CDR Sam, you need to do what you need to do, we get that, or we should.

    That post from 8 years ago was truly prescient, I wonder how many scoffed back then? We live in a truly scary world, great evil is out there, always has been. Those who forget that are only fooling themselves.

    Like your Dad said, "Keep on keepin' on!" It's good to see that the lights are still on here at EiP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarge... thank you for your understanding. We'll keep on keepin on!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, a routine works.
    Of course when something interrupts the routine, one tends to get irritable.
    Ask Sarge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skip,
      I've got a plan... and I'm working the plan!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow... my routine this morning was derailed as soon as I opened up the story of your Atlantic crossing... I think I got through about 30% of it before I realized I needed to move on to my day, but I will return to read the rest. I love the way your write.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Sam. I pulled the comment down because I think none of the regular EOP readers are too interested in re-reading my ocean trip. Your Dad made many nice comments (Which can still be seen if you tediously go through past posts. But reading those comments makes it look like Buck is till with us) Barco Sin Vela II

      Delete
  4. @dc cat/

    Hey! I NEVER tire of your sailing stories (tho I've fallen out of commenting) Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @dc cat/

    Hey! I NEVER tire of your sailing stories (tho I've fallen out of commenting) Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here you go, A new Sailing Tale!
      http://maogwaicat.blogspot.com/2016/01/recent-sailing-stuff.html

      Barco Sin Vela II

      Delete
  6. Thanks, Virgil. Always good to see a friendly name still out in the innerwebz.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.