Monday, August 04, 2014

"How Many Geezers Does It Take To Change a Light Bulb?"

More than one, apparently.  About which, this:



What you see is a light fixture ripped from its moorings as a result of my ham-handed efforts at installing a new light bulb.  There's a story here, of course.  One needs a special tool to replace these light bulbs, one o' which I dutifully bought and attempted to use recently.  Like this:


To continue...  I managed to (a) remove the burnt-out light bulb, (b) replace it with a new bulb, and (c) rip the fixture from its proper place in the ceiling while attempting to free the special tool from the newly-installed light bulb.  What you CAN'T see are the fixture mountings, which came undone in my attempts to free the tool after diligently screwing in the new bulb.  And here we are... about which... adding insult to injury is the fact the new bulb (which is one of those damned CFL thingies) doesn't work with my dimmer switch.  So, we have duly filed a service request with the landlord (who gracefully refrained from smirking at my tale o' woe) for a service person to come out and re-seat the fixture and change the other burnt-out bulb (there are two).

So... we know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.  At least there's that.

It's always SUMTHIN'.

9 comments:

  1. CFL = Confounded F**kin' Lights

    I have pretty much determined that I want to find a way to convert to those LEDs.
    They work with dimmers, don't burn out so fast, and use little of the precious power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The downside is initial capital outlay and conversion where fluorescent fixtures are concerned.

      Delete
    2. I'm gonna stick with the incandescent bulbs. I don't wanna pay the price for those LEDs, plus I haven't seen any LEDs that would replace these floodlights. I like your definition of "CFL."

      Delete
  2. Dim and Dimmer05 August, 2014 01:33

    I put two LED's in my hallway lights. Then I found out they don't like my dimmer. I thought LED's were OK with dimmers, but I have one of those fancy X10 switches, that let you remotely play with the lights. I'm going to go to the store and get me some regular switches, as I don't really need remote control anymore, since I'm the only one left living here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Skip reads yer comment before goin' out and spending big money on LEDs.

      Delete
  3. CFL. Pffft. No offense, but you're old enough to know better. At our age, we're grandfathered in for incandescents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a LIFETIME (which isn't as long as it sounds) supply of 100 watt incandescent bulbs. I read that handwriting on the wall a couple o' years ago. As for these bulbs, the CFLs were a mistake purchase, mainly coz I forgot to take my readers to the store and didn't... couldn't... read the fine print on the box.

      Delete
  4. It merely takes one psychologist to change a lightbulb - but only if the lightbulb really wants to change :-/

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.