Saturday, March 01, 2014

Saturday: The Need For Speed

Have you ever shifted into top gear at approximately 237 mph?  This guy did, while setting a new world's record for fastest two-seat sports car:



Nice to watch but I think I'd pee my pants if I was in the right seat.  This was most interesting, the hokey JFK entry aside.  Hennessey Performance is an American tuning company that makes delectable lil automotive confections like 1000 hp Vettes and 1200 hp Cadillac CTS-Vs... among others... if you have both a need and the means to acquire such things.  Me?  I find 275 hp is quite enough in my old age.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm thinking that's a negatory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just a bit more than double the fastest I've ever driven! That looked really stable, too - unlike my old '69 Camaro at 130mhp which felt like a toboggan that was getting ready to flip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too... on the double bit. The car's stability might have a lot to do with the surface it's running on... runways are pretty smooth.

      Delete
  3. There's ALWAYS something faster. I remember being in Germany on the autobahn with my new metallic silver 3-litre 2994cc English Marcos 3000GT doing a silky-smooth 135 and cocky proud of myself when a red Maserati pulls up beside me, looks me over, then accelerates OUT OF SIGHT--almost instantaneously. (Must have been doing 160, MIN, lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh. I remember cruisin' north on the autobahn outta Munich after picking up my 320i back in the early '80s. I pulled out into the left lane to pass a truck and was doin' about 85 (I was bein' gentle, break-in, yanno?) when this Porsche came up outta NOWHERE, flashing his lights like a madman, after which I pulled right over into the right lane as he blew past me. Like yer friend in the Maserati, this guy HAD to be doin' at least 160, if not more. The autobahn ain't no place for the faint o' heart.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.