Monday, July 08, 2013

Well, You Sure Don't LOOK Like You're Over 60

From the Usual USAF Source...


Air Frame: A B-52 Stratofortress takes off from Andersen AFB, Guam, July 2, 2013. This aircraft, assigned to the 23rd Bomb Squadron at Minot AFB, N.D., is on a rotational deployment to Guam, where the United States maintains a continuous bomber presence to promote stability in the western Pacific. (Air Force photo by A1C Marianique Santos)
Lookin' pretty spiffy fer an old lady, ain't she?

Apropos o' that location... I did a week on Guam once upon a time, where three of my best friends and I changed out the bull gear (a huge gear... about six feet in diameter and weighing several hundred pounds... that drives the radar's antenna) on an FAA-operated FPS-67 search radar, for which USAF had heavy maintenance responsibility.  That was a miserable job, mainly because we worked inside a radome that only had three small access hatches for ventilation... and Guam is a tropical place, as you know.  We worked at night on that job, for the most part, since the radome had all the qualities of a convection oven during the day.  Miserable.

Another fun fact: I learned that "Guam" is actually an acronym* during that TDY.

* Give Up And Masturbate

2 comments:

  1. The acronym thing, heh.

    And as I'm sure you've been told before, 60 ain't old, it's just "experienced".

    Double heh on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guam was the WORST TDY during my two years o' adventures around the Pacific Rim. As for the "60" thing... I've also heard "60 is the new 40." I call BS on THAT one, seein' as how I've been 40 and I've been 60 (for over eight years now).

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.