Sunday, March 03, 2013

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack

We took today's Happy Hour in shifts, due mostly to the early start of today's hockey game.  Our first installment was taken indoors... as we paced the living room for much of the third period, all of the overtime, and then for the shoot-out, about which, more later.

So.  It was the game, followed by a shower, and thence out on to the verandah, where we took beers numbers three and four, all the while listening to Ray LaMontagne with our windows and door open, on account o' coz it was a brilliantly warm (mid-70s) kinda day.  Like this, musically:


Kiss me before you go
I'm going nowhere lately
Kiss me before you go
I'm going nowhere lately
Ah, well... yes. We've known a few barflies in our time and we're grateful for those ladies.  Oh, yes... we are.  But that's neither here nor there.  Well, it MIGHT could be here, but we'll leave it at that.  But about the game...

It left us cold.  That's NOT to say it wasn't a good game, coz it most certainly was.  It was the ending, Gentle Reader, in which the Beloved Wings lost in the shoot-out, otherwise known as The Gimmick.  I actively dislike... nay, I HATE... the shootout.  In times past the outcome would have resulted in one point apiece for both the Beloved Wings and the hated 'Hawks, given things weren't resolved in regulation time, nor in the five-minute OT.  But no... we had to go to the gimmick and those hated 'Hawks got the winner's two points.  I long for Former Happy Days, in which it would have been one point apiece, and that's it.  Next...

The league itself recognizes the shoot-out is just a gimmick, mainly coz there ain't no such thing in the playoffs when every game counts.  Tied at the end of regulation time in the playoffs?  Well then, play a 20 minute OT and if things aren't resolved then, play another OT.  Keep going until one team or the other scores and ends it.  I'm not sayin' that should be the case during the regular season, not at all.  But I AM sayin' that if you're tied at the end of regulation and OT... well, then.  One point apiece and we're done.

That said... today's game was brilliant.  It was play-off hockey and I was on the edge of my seat... or pacing the floor... until the final goal was scored.  It's just too bad it had to end the way it did.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the shoot-out bit, Buck--a helluva way to lose a game. And you're right, that was a play-off worthy game that had a little bit of everything--great defense, clutch scoring and, how about those consecutive weird penalties for pucks out of play? NEVER saw THAT before! And my Blackhawks! Three games in four days and missing some key personnel. PULLED.IT. OUT! (Gloat)

    I also thought I was going to hit the daily double watching my St. Louis Blues next when they scored first against Dallas, but, alas, they folded after that and Dallas won convincingly. (Gnashing of teeth) Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the delay of game crap before, but NEVER so late and with such drastic consequences. Your 'Hawks caught a BIG-ASS break there.

      Delete
  3. RE: "BIG-ASS" breaks. How does that old saying go? "I'd rather be lucky than good?" :)

    (Although being BOTH will take you a LOOOOONG way)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the music. One of my friends had a horse named Barfly - good name, but a bad horse. I remember it bucking her off in the arena in RR. Of course barfly reminds me of lots of ladies in RR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinkin' I need to do a road-trip to RR. ;-)

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.