Monday, February 18, 2013

Ephemera

I went into the archives last evening lookin' for sumthin' specific... that I didn't find... but I found sumthin' else that will serve as blog-fodder, as usual.  Small-Tee tim made a comment the other day about how he saves concert tickets and has more than a few from Led Zep concerts past.  I used to save tickets as well, but the great majority of MY ticket stubs got away from me.  All I have left are these, suitably annotated.


The top two tickets are from my days at Yokota AB just outside Tokyo ('75 - '77); note the start times for the concerts, quite early.  The next two are pretty self-explanatory; Arena Bands playin' arena gigs.  The bottom tix are from the Zoo Amphitheatre in OKC, one of the nicest concert venues I've ever had the good fortune to visit. (Click all the pics to embiggen, if'n ya wanna)

These are all pretty much self-explanatory, with two exceptions.  That lil yellow thing is a Paris Metro ticket, saved for sentimental reasons.  The Van Morrison stub is from my PEAK rock'n'roll experience -- rushing the stage for Van's encore that evening, a rousing rendition of "Caravan."  It never got any better than that, ever.

One ticket, one photo, and two souvenirs.  That would be YrHmblScrb perched on his RD350LC before he modified it and my Royal Automobile Club member card.

Ah Former Happy Days were pretty damned happy, when ya get right down to it.

8 comments:

  1. I'm way behind on blog reading and comments - busy weekend.

    I used to save tickets and such. Sometimes I find one from days gone by, but I rarely keep them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like nearly ALl of My Back Pages evaporated somewhere along the way. Sad.

      Delete
  2. I too get nostalgic regarding my salad days. (From the OAFSSRFTOTN: "Salad days" is an idiomatic expression, referring to a youthful time, accompanied by the inexperience, enthusiasm, idealism, innocence, or indiscretion that one associates with a young person. More modern use, especially in the United States, refers to a person's heyday when somebody was at the peak of his/her abilities—not necessarily in that person's youth.)

    But then again, my idea of a good time in Paris was 6 hours at the Musée de l'Armée. YMMV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then again, my idea of a good time in Paris was 6 hours at the Musée de l'Armée. YMMV

      Heh. You need to read this. Scroll down to the last graf, click the links. I was waaaay ahead o' ya, Chris.

      Delete
    2. I forgot the UCR "insert smiley face thingie here."

      Delete
    3. Ah Buck, what made me think that you hadn't "been there, done that"?

      Yet another reason why you are, and shall no doubt remain, Sensei Buck.

      Delete
  3. Very cool, Buck. Love the Japanese writing.

    Man, to see such quintessential English bands in England…

    Not sure if I saw SRV in ‘85 or not. I did see him three or four times (have to check ticket stubs) before he died. One time he actually opened up for Robert Plant. Nobody was there, half empty arena, in Roch. It was summer, inside show…no other reason I can think of why the low attendance. Anyways, walked right up to the stage, not something I usually did as I actually hate crowds, and was maybe 20’ from Plant. Feekin’ awesome!

    The last time I saw SRV was two weeks before he died in August of ‘90. Joe Cocker opened up, at the Canandaigua Amphitheater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw SRV one other time, in Dee-troit sometime around '88 or '89; never have seen Joe C. Ra-cha-cha has some great venues!

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.