Sunday, February 03, 2013

A Rare Case...

... of a political cartoonist unclear on the concept:



Kerry is fillin' Hillary's shoes... Hagel will fill Panetta's.  This surprises me about Mr. Foden.  Or am I missing the point?

In other news... I poured my first cup of morning coffee about ten minutes ago.  I put that post about Twitter up just before I went to bed this morning, after pullin' an all-nighter finishin' up season four of "24."  (Aside: these sorts o' all-nighters are MUCH more fun than the ones I pulled ten years or so ago.)  A couple o' few observations:
  • Jack Bauer is a way-badder bad ass than Chuck Norris EVER was.
  • The CTU is ridiculously easy to infiltrate.
  • Terrorists drive really nice cars... Mercedes, Lexuses, Hummers, and Cadillacs.
  • SUVs can corner pretty well when driven hard.
  • The gub'mint knows EVERYTHING about us and can call it up... whatever "it" may be... in a matter o' seconds. Except for terrorists.
  • Infrared satellites can see through walls.
  • "Enhanced" interrogation techniques work.
  • Protagonists run out of ammunition occasionally and have to change clips. Terrorists, however, don't seem to have this problem... especially those firing MAC-10s on full auto.
This prolly is old news to folks who watched "24" in its first run.  But Hey!  I hadda say it.  And now on to Season Five.

12 comments:

  1. That is one hell of an all nighter my friend!
    I too am perplexed at the cartoonist's take.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely on the all-nighter. That was the first time I've seen the sun rise in a loooong time.

      Delete
  2. I don't get the cartoon either.

    But Jack Bauer is the Man. The "24" series was good therapy when it came out, almost immediately after 9/11. We watched that show pretty regularly the first couple or three years. I especially like the use of the "real time" narrative format which is how one of my favorite movies, "High Noon," is structured.

    As for the "mass viewings" or all nighters, I get it. That's much more fun than watching week to week. Joyce and I have done this with a couple of shows, the J.J. Abrams produced show called "Alias" in particular. When we view a completed series, we view it on Netflix. Is that how you're doing it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...we view it on Netflix. Is that how you're doing it?

      Nope, I'm watching on Amazon streaming video, which is free with a Prime membership. All eight seasons of "24" are there; 1 - 3 in standard def and 4 - 8 in HD. I'm watching on my computer right now but am gonna look into a way to wirelessly connect my computer to the teevee soon. The viewing experience is OK on my spiffy new monitor but the seating leaves something to be desired.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Sorry about that, I had a typo and it drove me nuts. Here's what I said, with typo corrected:
      Have you thought about purchasing a Roku? That's what we do, and it works like a charm for HuluPlus, Amazon, Netflix, Pandora...and on and on. It's a one-time purchase, no subscription or anything.

      Delete
    4. I've never heard of a Roku, Christina. I'll look into that.

      Delete
  3. OK, I'm going to beat this drum again, Buck. There are FIVE (5) additional series that you ABSOLUTELY MUST see/have: The Wire and Homicide: Life On The Streets (both take place in Baltimore) and Alias. (another CIA, "wheels-within-wheels" spy thriller) Breaking Bad (about HS chemistry teacher turned stone-cold killer & Meth "Master Cook"--code-name "Heisenberg" ) and Dexter *about Miami Police lab tech who is secretly an intelligent "civilized monster" serial-killer who only kills those bad guys that "need killin' ")

    Ya GOTS ta see 'em ALL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW I answered this and can't figure out why the comment didn't post. What I originally said was something like "noted," with a promise to check and see if Amazon had any of these.

      Delete
  4. OK, I'm going to beat this drum again, Buck. There are FIVE (5) additional series that you ABSOLUTELY MUST see/have: The Wire and Homicide: Life On The Streets (both take place in Baltimore) and Alias. (another CIA, "wheels-within-wheels" spy thriller) Breaking Bad (about HS chemistry teacher turned stone-cold killer & Meth "Master Cook"--code-name "Heisenberg" ) and Dexter *about Miami Police lab tech who is secretly an intelligent "civilized monster" serial-killer who only kills those bad guys that "need killin' ")

    Ya GOTS ta see 'em ALL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 24 lost me with episode 1 of season 2. Jack just makes major league effort to save daughter and her mother in previous season and calls them and tells them to "GET OUT OF TOWN NOW!!!!!!!" And they both go, hohum, I think I'll get a pedicure before paying any old mind to that useless twit.
    Dexter sounds interesting though. No TV cuts down on TV a bit but having the tubes and computers and Amazon, Netflix, 56 public libraries kind of makes tv viewing possible if not in real time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make good points, HMS. I'm finding there are certain aspects of "24" that require active suspension of disbelief. And you're right about the inner-tubes, too.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.