Monday, January 21, 2013

Wrong!

Speakin' of working class (see immediately below)... there's this: the last of our self-gifts, Christmas Edition, arrived today... which I shall model for you now.  Like this:



That's me in a chambray work shirt, which was part and parcel of our civilian uniform back in those halcyon days of the '70s.  I prolly had... at any given point in time... at least five blue chambray work shirts in my wardrobe during those years... some embroidered, most not.  Because that's what we DID, back then.  I got it in my head that we should add one of those shirts to our wardrobe, seein' as how we've been bereft of any like item for at least 20 years or so.  And we ordered one such from LL Bean, not payin' much attention to what we were ordering.

So imagine my surprise when the shirt arrived today and I opened the package to find the shirt is of the button-down variety, to wit, this:



And that's just WRONG.  NO working class person would EVER entertain wearing a BUTTON-DOWN work shirt.  Not once, not ever.  But we'll keep the shirt as it fits well and is of the usual Bean quality, which is to say: good.

We'll just hope people don't recognize and smirk at the poseur nature of the shirt when we're out and about.  But **I'll** know and it grieves me so.  Because I'm all about authenticity, even if I'm not all that authentic when it comes to "working class."

10 comments:

  1. I've never thought one way or the other about the button down collars, but I can see that the working class would not want them. On the other hand, fashions change and those shirts have become more of a dress thang for office workers. Toby likes a button down Oxford himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my Oxfords were button downs back in my workin' days.

      Delete
  2. The shirt looks good. And comfortable. Probably both since it's L. L. Bean. Bean online is where I do 75-80% of my shopping.

    In the '60s, as the young Prof, I wore sport coats (some were even double breasted), slacks, ties, shined leather shoes, and button down Oxford shirts. In the '70s, many Profs, particularly those of a liberal mindset, myself included, started wearing jeans, work shirts or flannels, Clark Chukka boots, and rough looking corduroy sport coats. It was a "working man" look and clearly an affectation on our part; we wanted the proletariat to think kindly of us and yet, simultaneously that sport coat reassured us on some level that we were only slumming. We felt like we were rebelling against college dress codes and "sticking it to the Man." Heh. In essence we were phonies, poseurs. You still see that look from time to time in academe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda affected that sport coat, levis, work shirt look too, when I went into the civilian work force... but only off-duty. Perot and EDS had a strict dress code for employees when I hired on: conservative suits and ties for men; dresses or business suits for women, NO pants allowed, ever. The upshot was when I went to work for EDS I traded one uniform for another; EDS didn't go "corporate casual" until about 1995. Today I still have a tweed sport coat that I wear a lot, over Levis and a tee shirt.

      You can believe your academic look didn't pass un-noticed amongst the proles... especially the left-leaning ones (that would be me, back in the day)... a LOT of us aped all y'all.

      Delete
  3. It will look much better when it's been washed a dozen times and you'll forget about the buttons.

    BTW- did you know that the CDC (California Department of Corrections) warns visitors avoid wearing chambray shirts and denim pants when visiting prisons?
    Can you guess why?

    Your outfit in the photo reminds me of my favorite uniform from the "good ol' days."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the CA prison population dressed in denim? I hope you're right about the washing thang.

      Delete
    2. "Isn't the CA prison population dressed in denim?"

      Uh huh, thus the warning.
      Though a lot of local jails have done the orange jump suit thing.

      Delete
  4. Button-down? Working class poseur! :)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.