Sunday, January 27, 2013

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack...

... is a rather long one.  Here's one of my favorite semi-classical pieces:



We heard this while out on our semi-monthly big commissary run (big = $100+) earlier today, courtesy of Sirius/XM's "classical pops" station.  Once we got home and put all the groceries away we dug out our Gershwin CD, put it in the CD player, opened the door and windows, poured a beer, lit a cigar, set out for the verandah, and proceeded to enjoy ourselves.  Which we did, and mightily so.

The version you see/hear above isn't the version I listened to; mine is an Elmer Bernstein recording.  The Deity At Hand knows there are MANY versions of this piece... I googled "best version of Rhapsody In Blue" and came across the version above.  Just for the record:  I don't believe I've EVER heard a bad version of this piece.  Further for the record:  Mom introduced me to Rhapsody In Blue... I can never listen to this piece without thinkin' of her and that's a classic case of Saudade.  Chase that link if'n ya don't get it.

8 comments:

  1. I have this recording on vinyl.
    Eventually, when the den/office is straightened up, I will have the USB turntable connected.

    Thank you, Buck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Sir. You remind me I need to figger out how to retrieve MY vinyl.

      Delete
  2. This is one of my fave pieces of music; have had the enormous privilege to hear it played live - twice. And even better, I can play the short middle melody on the piano - and I don't make Gerswhin spin in his grave when I do. Took a year to learn and it was a labor of love; my FILs favorite piece of music of all time.

    Good, no GREAT, stuff Buck.

    And Saudade - I wonder if the fair Kat has any idea how much that has resonated with hundreds of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In re: Saudade. I'm sure the topic's come up on FB, hasn't it? Isn't Kat part of the FB group?

      Delete
  3. Some of my artist friends like to paint to classical music as if it is calming. If I painted to that Gershwin piece, the painting would be wild with bold strokes and such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mebbe you should try that... I'd love to see the results.

      Delete
  4. Great selection, Buck. Thank you for that.

    And thanks also for the Saudade link. Fascinating. Besides the great writing and music, I enjoy EIP because of surprising things like this.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.