Sunday, October 07, 2012

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack

A blast from the distant past...



Would you believe this is from 19-sixty-freakin' three?  It is...  This tune brought a lotta stuff to mind, first and foremost bein' the fact that I'm the quintessential White Boy and I can NOT dance.  That never stopped me, though, as I've been known to get up on the floor and make a fool o' myself, albeit not lately.  

The second thang that came to mind is Norman Mailer's famous quote... "Tough guys don't dance," which I availed myself of a LOT in the way-back.  The third and final thang I remembered is what The Second Mrs. Pennington told me early on in our relationship: "People dance like they fuck."  Or mebbe it was the reverse... "People fuck like they dance"... time has dimmed the actual wording of said quote.  The intent is most certainly clear and it makes me wonder, in retrospect, because I sure as Hell couldn't dance.  Yet the fact remains the girl hung with me for 23 years, in spite of what she thought about the subject.  Was she wrong?  Was she right?  Whatevah... my dancin' was apparently sufficient for all intents and purposes.  Until it wasn't.  Heh.

On another subject... We wound up doin' an outdoor Happy Hour this afternoon and it was quite pleasant, as long as one was sitting in full sun and I most certainly WAS.  Today was one of those days that brought back memories of those halcyon autumnal days when I lived in the Northern Tier... those days when we put a sweater on and got out in it... because we knew winter was comin' on.  Yeah, like that.

8 comments:

  1. I don't think dancing has anything to do with the other. I'm sorry, madam was plein de caca...

    I had the heater on today, with my sweater! Global warming my ass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. madam was plein de caca...

      In MANY ways. ;-)

      Delete
  2. As to the first quote, tough men do dance. As to the second quote, well, who knows?! I had an older lady friend who used to say whatever came to her mind, which was mostly funny and often embarrassing. When "Urban Cowboy" made holding a girl around the neck and shoulders while two-steppin' popular, I hated it. It usually put my nose about armpit level and made me feel like I was being slung around by my neck. When some guy would dance with my older lady friend and grab her around the neck, she would say, "Do you want to fuck or fight, 'cause this sure as hell isn't how you dance."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would have REALLY liked your older lady friend.

      Delete
  3. Yup - autumn is upon us here in New England, thank goodness! Temps this week will remain in the low 60s for the highs; low 40s for the lows. Sweater, sweatshirt, etc... If I must be at home recovering from surgery, this is the best time of year to do it. And yes, I planned it this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's GOOD to plan well and effectively. ;-)

      Delete
  4. It's time to start putting away the shorts and sandals here, too. We're probably going to have to change the thermostat from the "Off" position real soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya. I made it through the night without turning the heat on and it was GREAT sleeping weather. I like to sleep in a cold room and it just isn't prudent to turn the AC down that low in the summer. I think I got the best night's sleep I've had in a long time last night.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.