Thursday, September 27, 2012

It Feels Like Fall

Yup, it's decidedly cool outdoors, as we speak.


Damp, too... given our humidity stands at 70% right now.  I was awakened at 0430 hrs this morning by a nearby (read as: about a mile) lightning strike and resulting ka-BLAM.  The thunderclap was LOUD and it got my undivided attention, which made going back to sleep pretty much impossible.  So we got up, lit off the coffee pot, and did something I can't ever recall doing at any point in time during the last ten years: we turned on the teevee.  I did that to check the weather (to begin with) but then I just kept right on watching... who knew Charlie Rose has an early morning daytime gig at CBS?... until the coffee pot was empty, at 0830 hrs.  And then I went back to bed and slept until 1130 hrs.

We DID get some rain, btw... pretty much solid precip from 0430 to 0730 hrs, an event that's pretty remarkable in this part o' the world.  It's been a fairly wet late summer and early Fall, and The Deity At Hand knows we need it.

4 comments:

  1. I've always really loved thunder and lightning. Not sure what it is about it, but it's really pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like t-storms, too... except when I'm tryin' to sleep!

      Delete
  2. While in RR this summer, we were sitting on my cousin's porch. There were some low clouds, but not raining or storming. Lightning struck across the road - maybe a half mile or less. It was like an explosion - lit up the house and rattled the windows - not to mention rattling me.

    We were cooler here, but so muggy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw lightning hit my next door neighbor's tree... a BIG-ass oak, about 500 feet from my living room window... when I lived in Montana and I know from whence you speak. The noise was deafening, like a bomb going off. I'm glad it was raining hard, otherwise my neighbor's tree prolly would have burned to the ground along with his house and mebbe mine, too. I don't ever want lightning to get closer than that.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.