Saturday, July 21, 2012

Rain and Linkage to More Rain

I just stepped outside for about four minutes to witness the briefest of cloudbursts, which is about all the rain we seem to be getting, of late.  This is what I saw...



Note the sidewalk in front of The Green Hornet is barely wet yet the car park area is sufficiently damp, as is the road.  Or, just enough moisture to dampen down the ever-present dust and raise the humidity level, which will make our Happy Hour something of a sweaty affair later on today.  I think it rained for all of four minutes, if that, but it WAS enough to scent the air with the sweet, sweet smell of damp earth.  I'm thankful for that.

What we REALLY need here on The High Plains o' New Mexico is rain that looks like this:
The rain is heavy this morning, and big. The drops looking like a badminton birdie when they hit the street. I like it like this, and it’s full of memories. 
That's what we call a teaser, Gentle Reader, wherein we hope to entice you into reading Andy's musings on rain.  And other, not so pleasant things.  So go for the rain and stay for the other bits which are equally good, if not as uplifting.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, I get the smell of the damp earth. Believe me, that triggered some real pleasant memories Buck. And that link to "Andy's musings on rain" - many, many thanks for that! That is some mighty fine writing. I've added that link over at my place. Excellent stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarge. Andy doesn't post every day but I read every word he writes. He's very good.

      Delete
  2. I could use some cool rain. Hopefully, next week when I go to the mountains, maybe it will rain. There is just nothing like a New Mexico rain.

    Thanks for sharing Andy's Musings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still need more than a little rain here, too.

      Delete
  3. Rain? What is Rain? We got a few drops last week for about a five minute period. Ludlow, Dagget and Newberry Springs got a serious cloud burst but in my part of the Mojave Desert............

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.