Monday, April 23, 2012

The Best Sentence I've Heard or Read Lately

With apologies to blog-bud Morgan, because the title of this post was blatantly ripped off from a regularly recurring feature on his blog.  Morgan's BSIHoRL is almost always political, my one-time effort has to do with hockey (of course!).  I'm lifting it from an article in the Montreal Gazette, which was all about which team you might want to support after your team is eliminated in the playoffs (or fail to MAKE the playoffs in the Habs' case and at least one other case I can think of.  Andy.).  About which, this:
If your appreciation of hockey transcends loyalty to the hometown team, however, this is – hit it, Andy Williams – the most wonderful time of the year. The best players on the best teams are playing their best hockey, and appreciation of excellence can help salve the wounds inflicted by too many disappointing nights at the Bell Centre.
That ain't the BSIHoRL but it DOES describe why I continue to watch hockey long after the Beloved Wings have cleaned out their lockers.  The linked article goes on to describe the teams remaining in the playoffs and why Habs fans might consider rooting for 'em.  Which brings us to the subject at hand... a pithy description of New Joisey Debbils hockey:
Cautionary note: Devils still play Jacques Lemaire hockey, which is to the world’s fastest sport what necrophilia is to the world’s most pleasurable activity.
Which is why I haven't been bothered to watch one single game of the Panthers-Debbils series.  I hate, HATE, HATE the trap.  I've hated it since 1995 and I ain't about to stop now.  Necrophilia, indeed. 

So... best sentence aside, who AM I supporting now that the Wings are on the golf course?  It's still too early to tell but the safest answer would be "ANYONE but Nashville."  Or the Debbils.

12 comments:

  1. Deciding who to cheer for is often a process of elimination - literally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it usually doesn't BEGIN that way...

      Delete
  2. I wish I had made that comparison about something. Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't picked a team yet, but I'm leaning Kings or Preds. Can quite pull for an Eastern Conference team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda like the Kings myself. And the Blues.

      Delete
    2. Forgot about the Blues, I like them, too. I think they might bump Nashville from the list.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. ...if only the Kings were from somewhere other than SoCal. At least they knocked over the Canucks.

      Delete
    5. You have a VERY valid point about the Kings, Skip.

      Delete
  4. [picture a lonely tear falling from my left eye]

    Bruins lose game seven in OT. All seven games were decided by one goal, a record. Really good series, but I sure wish they had moved on.

    The B's are dead. Long live the B's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the game. NOTHING in sports sucks more than losing in OT in Game Seven. I feel yore pain, Jim. I remember 2009... Game Seven, SCF, Joe Louis Arena. Lost by one goal.

      Oh, well. Next year, eh?

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.