Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Broadening Our Horizons XLIV

We're only broadening ourselves technically speaking, as we have some experience with today's brew o' choice.  But it IS broadening in the sense that La Fin du Monde (another World Class brew according to The Bros) is now available in more user-friendly packaging, which is to say a 12 ounce bottle, instead of the one liter size... which is the way we always bought it.  Note the difference:



The other issue with those one-liter bottles is saving what's left after you're done... assuming you don't drink the entire contents of the bottle, which further assumes you'll be flat on your ass if you do.  With that in mind we'll do one of these and move on to something less prone to put us in the bag at this early hour; I can't handle too many bottles of nine percent ABV beers in a single session.  It sucks to be a lightweight and I mean that from a physical weight perspective.  Only.

In other beer news... It seems as if SN1 and I completely wiped out Portales' supply of Rogue Mocha Porter, at least until Friday.  I bought the last sixer of that brew during my beer run today; SN1 bought two yesterday, and I bought two a couple o' days before.  The beer attendant was semi-amazed; I'm semi-amazed it was that easy to exhaust the city's entire stock.  I use the term "city" loosely, of course.

8 comments:

  1. "The beer attendant was semi-amazed."

    LOL. "Normal" people outside the service or South Louisiana have NO CONCEPT of really serious drinking. A buddy of mine from N.O. was living up in Portland circa 1980s and hit the local 24-hr grocery store for beer at O800 to stock up for a little "traveling music" for the "road trip"/camping trip he was leaving on as soon as he walked out the door. Said the check-out clerk looked at him like he was a criminal, lol. And while on his road-trip trip he was up one morn again at 0800 with beer in hand at roadside-scenic overlook somewhere in Idaho in the Coeur d'Alene taking pictures along with some other tourists who had also pulled off.. "You must be from New Orleans," one said. "What makes you say that?" my guy ans. (he had Oregon plates on his van) "The beer @ 8am" said the guy--"only somebody from N.O., would even THINK of beer @ 8am." LOL The guy hadn't got out much had he, Buck?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The guy hadn't got out much had he, Buck?

    Heh. Once again... great story, Virg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep.

    I wonder if one of those pushy-on champagne bottle plugs would work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno, Moogie. I DO know you can buy stoppers in various sizes but I didn't have any on hand the last time I had one of those liter bottles in the house.

      Delete
  4. When my Austin brother was here for Christmas, he thought he could just swing into any quick-stop to buy good beer. We do get good beer in OK, but not usually at an all-nighter quick-stop. He came to my house with Budweiser and was very apologetic about it. There still may be some in the fridge. Then there was the time I went with him to buy beer in WF. Using his excellent Spanish accent he asked the clerk for Tecate. The clerk could not understand him. So in my best Texas twang, I re-asked. "Sure," the clerk replied, "We have tee-cot-tee." Those clerks, they are not rocket surgeons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty funny on both counts, Lou. FWIW, I NEVER buy beer at Quick-Marts.

      Delete
  5. Wow! Be careful with that L' fin du Monde! It is headache inna bottle. Not that's it's not good; too good! You gotta try L'Maudite from the same brewery: I've been known to empty two litres of that into my two-litre mug and then empty it into me for a small vacation from Me.

    --Gray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look for L'Maudite the next time I'm out at the base, Gray, as I'm pretty sure my Local Likker Locker wouldn't have it. One liter of La Fin du Monde was enough to put me on my butt when I did that trick (once); you're right about it bein' pretty danged good.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.