Saturday, April 16, 2011

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack

So there I was, sitting on the verandah, deep into today's WSJ, puffing occasionally on my second cigar of the day and enjoying my second beer when Pandora decides to bring this ol' chestnut around ...


...which stopped me dead in my tracks.  I shut the Kindle, sang along, and fell back into that same, oh-so-lovely daydream that happens EVERY time I hear this song.  
Amie what you wanna do?
I think I could stay with you
For a while, maybe longer
Longer if I do
I knew an Am(ie)y once upon a time... well over 30 years ago... in both a space and time that's long ago and far away.  "My" Amy was a friend of a friend who came to Westby, Montana to visit and stayed at my place for the duration of her visit, mainly because the mutual friend Amy came to see was a single female airperson who lived in the barracks and I had a pretty nice house with a comfy couch.  Amy slept on that couch the first night she was in Westby but never again after that.  Strange how that sorta thing happens...

Amy's visit in Westby lasted only a week or perhaps a little longer, but what a week that was!  The girl was prolly 20 years of age at that time and in her prime; I was three years on the wrong side of 30 but that was close enough for gub'mint work.  I wound up taking a few days of unplanned leave just to spend as much time with this woman as I possibly could before she vanished into my past.  That was a GOOD decision, Gentle Reader.

Young Amy and I corresponded for a time after she returned to Ohio but nothing more happened after that; our communication ceased after a while.  Well, nothing happened except for The Second Mrs. Pennington finding Amy's letters to me shortly after TSMP and I married... and she subsequently burned them (along with all the other letters I'd received from former lovers), without my permission.   Which is QUITE another story and one that still pisses me off when I think about it, even after all these years.

The image isn't the Amy I knew (I found it in a generic Google search for "dark eyed beauty"), but it's close.

15 comments:

  1. I never knew an Amy or Amie in that way, but this song does conjure up other memories...

    what would we do without such sweet memories of past loves and lovers?

    Magic posty word is FEOGI? Really? Think its trying to tell me something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This song conjurs up memories of seeing Pure Prairie League in concert and being too snockered to remember much about them - by the time they finally showed up and played. Fun evening though!

    Your Amy sounds much more interesting. Its funny how things happen and then don't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what would we do without such sweet memories of past loves and lovers?

    Life would be a LOT poorer, methinks. I know mine would, anyhoo.

    Its funny how things happen and then don't happen.

    Yeah, it IS. But that's life, innit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a show a long while back now, that tied various events to songs. It might have been 30 Something, but I really don't know for certain.

    My wife loved the show, me, it was OK as to storyline, but what hooked me was how the lyrics and sound of the songs used really brought new depth to story.

    Its funny, but I hear certain songs and it takes me back to events and memories, not unlike that show eluded to.

    I think songs can be tremendous memory triggers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pinky in my Twinky17 April, 2011 07:21

    The girl in the picture would never go to Westby, Montana. Just my opinion.

    I love that look though, when they turn their head around while you're doing them doggie-style.

    Anyway, perspective, she's probably had five kids since then, looks like mama Cass and is oh-so-50's. Probably had the uterus and gall bladder removed already. False teeth, the whole bit.

    There, that should get you back to reality :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a brief affair along these lines, when I pulled out a big doobie while lounging on the couch. It turns out that the stuff triggered the animal part of her brain, and she raped me.

    It didn't last a week, and I don't remember much about it, but I do remember she had enough glands for five kids in one sitting. This because, I'm not really a glands person, and you know those things are always getting in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think songs can be tremendous memory triggers.

    That they ARE, Anon. I couldn't listen to pop music for about two years after my divorce because EVERY single song dredged up bad, bad, bad memories.

    Pinky: OTOH, she might NOT be all those things... except for bein' 50... but that's no crime. ;-)

    ...and you know those things are always getting in the way.

    Heh. Thank The Deity At Hand for THAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank Gawd it's not criminal to be over 50!

    I just re-lived a few "Aimee" memories -- fallin' in and out of love memories. Sweet.

    And, Pinky, if she can twist around to give you that look, I'm wonderin' who's doin' whom. Just wonderin'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heh on your last, Moogie! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buck ... ahem ... Amy was definitely not yet 20 years of age.

    And this post is the first one in a LONG while (or perhaps ever?) wherein you describe that house in Westby as "pretty nice". ; )

    I can probably locate a photo of Amy for you. I'll have a look in my albums and send it along soonish.

    With love,
    That friend of Amy's

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are ya sayin' I was some sort o' pedophile, Lori?

    And that house WAS nice, compared to the barracks. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would NEVER say you were some sort o' pedophile, Buck. After all, I shoot pedophiles (or at least I want to shoot them, very very much). But Amy WAS young, and a couple of years younger than me. ; )

    Of course you're right about that house: it was WAY nicer than the barracks. I was just surprised that you said so! : )

    Hey, this is funny: the word verification for this post is "pochip". I wonder, how IS "Po' Chip" these days?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I was laboring under the impression you and Amy were close to the same age. I stand corrected. I have fond memories of that house, actually.

    As for Chip... it's been years since we last corresponded. In other words... I have NO ideer. But, as of a couple o' years ago he was a VP with a big systems integrator, Kathy and he were still happy, and his kids were grown. Time fades away...

    ReplyDelete
  14. We were close to the same age, but she graduated from high school the year after I did, and a year earlier at that. So I think she's about two years younger than I am. (I'm poking around on the internet, trying to find her, and I'm coming up with a current age of 51 for Amy, which would be about right.)

    I have fond memories of that house in Westby, too. And some strange memories, as well, but I won't go into those right now. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  15. re: strange memories. Yeah, let's NOT go there! ;-)

    That house had LOTSA strange memories associated with it...

    Shoot me a pic, if you're successful.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.