Monday, April 18, 2011

Good To Go!

I'm just in from the day's errands, chief among which was an appointment with my eye surgeon for a routine follow-up just to "make sure" there are no issues that would prevent tomorrow's scheduled surgery.  I received a clean bill o' health and a cheery "See Ya tomorrow!" from Dr. Watterberg.

We are MOST pleased.  So is Dr Watterberg, for that matter... and she told me so.  Did I ever tell ya she's VERY good at what she does?  No?  Well, I'm tellin' ya now... and this IS an endorsement.

―:☺:―

I returned from The Big(ger) City™ via Cannon Airplane Patch, where I got my tri-annual  haircut, did some light shopping, yadda, yadda.  My route back to P-Ville took me through part of the area that burned off in yesterday's fire and I am MOST amazed a lot o' people didn't lose their homes.  That was one hella fire from the looks o' things.  An immediate and most obvious result of the fire is an absolutely incredible amount of dust... the worst I've seen in the eight-plus years I've lived here on The High Plains of New Mexico.  The wind is up again today and the blowing dust reduced visibility to about a half-mile or less on parts of NM 467.  It's pretty danged bad out there.

8 comments:

  1. Good luck tomorrow! I'll be watching for your return to blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're getting the clean bill o' eye health and the fire isn't getting too close. Curiosity: is the casa móbil de Pennington mobile enough to GTFU if the flames get frisky, or is it like all up on a foundation of some kind?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt: Thank ya, Sir!

    Inno: We're pretty much hard-wired in place. Time was when ECMdP was decidedly Móvil, but these days we're tethered to a 100-gallon propane tank, internet connection, and cable teevee lines... all of which would take some doin' to undo. If push came to shove I'd throw the laptop and various and sundry other things in TGH and get the hell outta Dodge. But that ain't likely to happen...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I recall, the great Portales fire of 1977 (78?) happened on a hot, dry windy April day. I was in Clovis when it started and drove back to town, watching the smoke. There were about 30 fire departments involved that day.

    Hope the surgery goes well. It's nice when you have a good doctor in whom you're confident.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck for the surgery -- and other things!! Obviously, my weekend sojourn to tornado land, along with saving a few favorites to curl up with upon my return home, have left me out of the loop about fires and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the second round is as grand as the first was. It's an amazing time in which we live, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. May all go well with the doc tomorrow. Wear your sunglasses to keep the dust out of your new eyes. The fires were all around here yesterday, but so far mostly brush and grasslands - I don't know of any homes burning. Barns and such have been lost, but people fight for their homes. As bad as these fires have been, it has been worse here, but the wind has been the worst evah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gordon: Your knowledge of P-Ville history exceeds mine by an order of magnitude.

    Thank ya for the good wishes, Andy, Moogie, and Lou.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.