Friday, March 04, 2011

In This Morning's Mail

My latest love note from Amazon...


My very first thought was this, bein' as how I'm of a certain age:


Heh.  I was around seven or eight years old when the first 3-D craze hit and it reeled me in, hook, line, and sinker.  I saw numerous 3-D movies and saved those cheap-ass cardboard glasses.  I bought 3-D comic books, too,  so given my history I was intrigued enough to read about the Panasonic 3-D video camera.  I found out ya still need those cheesy glasses to watch your home movies in 3-D, tho*:
A TV that is capable of side-by-side method 3D playback, 3D Eyewear, and HDMI cable connection are required to play the recorded 3D images.
Not to mention a pricey 3-D teevee, which run from $1,100.00 to $5,000.00,  the cheapest ones bein' in the thousand dollar-plus range.  I think I'll pass, thank ya.  Rumor has it there is now at least one 3-D teevee line that functions without the need for glasses but Toshiba is right proud of 'em, to the tune of $1,400.00 or so for a 20-inch model, assuming they're even available.   More:


Pretty intriguing, innit?  I can see a time in about a couple o' years when this sorta thing will catch on and there will be 3-D programming on your garden variety cable or satellite system.  As for me... I'll most definitely wait until I can watch the Beloved Wings in 3-D.  Just imagine a 3-D goal cam and seein' a 95 mph slap-shot come at ya through the screen.  THAT would be sumthin'!

* You don't need 3-D glasses to view output from the Fujifilm FinePix still camera, tho.  This is pretty intriguing technology and it's affordable, as well.

3 comments:

  1. We already have 3-D football here. Sky premiered a few matches last Summer. I didn't catch the match though so no idea if it was cool or not. I think it was Man U Premiership or UEFA game. 3-D, Real-D...it's all big money where I work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had some 3-D teevee here too, A. But it hasn't reached critical mass yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 3DS video game handheld requires no glasses for 3D, too.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.