Sunday, February 20, 2011

Kinda Like the Playoffs...

... or any given Saturday in the Fall -- that's what my day feels like.  It's been non-stop hockey since 1030 hrs this morning and I'm lovin' it, mainly because each and every game I've watched has been most excellent.  It helps matters that my Beloved Wings won their game in a shoot-out (so did the Blackhawks, as if I give a big rat's ass about THAT) (Well, I sorta did, as it's always satisfying to watch the Flightless Birds lose).  It's been a great day of great hockey.

We're in the second intermission of the Heritage Classic and that game has been pretty satisfying, too.  I love outdoor games but I don't think I'd go to one... especially not in Calgary where it's only ten degrees Fahrenheit (with a wind chill of five below) as we speak.  No-no-no-no.  Yet the Calgary stadium doesn't appear to have a single empty seat.  Ya gotta be tough to live up there, that's fer shure.

That said, I'm getting a kick out of watching the Flames jet around the ice looking for all the world like a swarm of psychedelic bees.  They're wearing "throw-back" uniforms in honor of the 1920s Calgary Tigers of the old Western Canada Hockey League... and they look like this:


See?  Bees.  Psychedelic bees.  Gimmee drugs.

4 comments:

  1. They certainly did look like a bunch of psychelic bees. The embarrassment drove them to blank the Habs 4-0 tho'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Flames shouldn't have been embarrassed by their uniforms. I really thought they were cool. Really. Srsly. (It was hard to type that with a straight face, yanno?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually own one of those bumblebee shirts.
    seriously.
    Someday, I'll find it in the box it's stuffed in and look to see if the stinger is still attached...
    It's ridiculously out of fashion.
    They had 40,000 folks out to the game yesterday, and the weather wasn't that bad. But beer is likely near a buck an ounce so don't go looking for me at those games.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and Deb are allowed, Marc... encouraged, even!... since you're both Calgary residents and Flames fans. The rest of us get to laugh. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.