Thursday, February 03, 2011

It's the New Year!

But that's only if you're Chinese or subscribe to the Chinese lunar calendar.  This is a good year for rabbits, as I learned today.  You're a rabbit of you were born in 1915, 1927, 1939, 1951, 1963, 1975, 1987, or 1999.  As for me... I'm a cock rooster.  I note that seemingly all of the Chinese zodiac sites I went to today have adopted the politically-correct nomenclature for my year.  It wasn't always so, as The Second Mrs. Pennington never failed to point out to me whenever we went to a Chinese restaurant with those place-mats.  She thought that was just hilarious.  Yeah, right.  Ha ha.

The Guardian has a cool 21-picture photo essay, which is where I grabbed this:


Cute, eh? 

4 comments:

  1. 1963 here. This is what they have to say about people born in the Year of the Rabbit:

    People born in the Year of the Rabbit are articulate, talented, and ambitious. They are virtuous, reserved, and have excellent taste. Rabbit people are admired, trusted, and are often financially lucky. They are fond of gossip but are tactful and generally kind. Rabbit people seldom lose their temper. They are clever at business and being conscientious, never back out of a contract. They would make good gamblers for they have the uncanny gift of choosing the right thing. However, they seldom gamble, as they are conservative and wise.

    I completely agree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, yours is much more accurate than mine, Kris. Except for this bit: "People born in the Rooster Year are often a bit eccentric..." Heh. A BIT?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also a cock. Yup. Since the cycle runs in 12 year intervals, now I know how old you are. Nyah-Nyah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gung Hee Fat Choi, Buck! (Happy NY in phonetic Chinese)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.