Friday, November 05, 2010

Thievery XIV and Linkage

First the thievery...



Stolen from Lex.  There's gonna be a lot of thievery of this graphic if one takes the comments at Lex's place seriously.  Also noted in comments there:  why is this freakin' sticker ALWAYS found on Priuses and Subarus?  That was purely rhetorical; no answer required.

And now the linkage.  This is the finest reminiscence of Thanksgiving as I have ever read, anywhere.  And not just today.  EVER.  I'll quote part of what I said in comments at Cricket's place:
Thanks for this, Cricket... it's the Thanksgiving I never had.

We had Thanksgivings when I was a child but they were of a different sort since I was a military brat. They were always celebrated in someplace other than home... and for five years straight it was overseas... and family consisted solely of Mom, Dad, my sister and I. There were always friends around the table... my father's comrades in arms and their families and quite often single troops with nowhere to go but the mess hall... but no grandparents, aunts, or uncles. And family IS one of the best parts of Thanksgiving, isn't it?
If you miss this post you're missing one hella fine piece of writing.

9 comments:

  1. I've seen that coexist business at a couple of good sites, too. I love every bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the link. What a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, heh. "... but needed to help the sticker make sense." Laughed out loud there.

    And thank you for your kind comments, both here and there. I'm glad you enjoyed the piece, and, for some reason, I thought you might like to know that it really was like that.

    I read and enjoyed very much your own reminiscence "When I Was Eight." I would have been 8 or 9 during the Thanksgivings in question. It's sometimes funny to think that staying in one place is almost as interesting to a world traveler as the other way around.

    Thanks again for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swiped it from you.
    There is a variation on ORPO that my sister had at Pixie Place II

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buck, I had not seen this "coexist" deal before. Pretty good in my book.

    And, I had read Cricket's Thanksgiving piece already. Damn, that was good. I mean, really excellent-like good.

    I left some stupid comment over there about why I like Thanksgiving. I hope he really picked up on the fact that I found it to be a real gem.

    Cricket? Cricket? If I didn't make it plain enough over at your place...that one is three thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buck,

    Thanks so much for the link - and especially great thanks to Cricket for writing it. Gorgeous. Bravo.

    Even those of us with unfortunate childhoods can get a huge hit from that essay. What made it even better for me was church music; I was fortunate enough to start singing this one in about 1950:

    Come, ye thankful people, come,
    Raise the song of harvest home;
    All is safely gathered in,
    Ere the winter's storms begin.
    God our Maker doth provide
    For our wants to be supplied;
    Come to God's own temple, come,
    Raise the song of harvest home.

    - Dr. Henry Alford, 1844

    Methodism had its points...

    ReplyDelete
  7. S-Andy: Yeah, the explanation is way better than the sticker itself, which is blatantly stoopid.

    Moogie: Wasn't it great?

    Cricket: It was MY pleasure to read you! And thanks for your kind words.

    L-Andy: Agreed, re: Cricket's piece.

    Rob: Thanks for the hymn... that did this heathen some good. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buck,

    Give a listen, and always keep in mind: Culture Keeps You Regular.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k43ysxLzc0

    ;-}

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting video (and appropriate) theme for the hymn... flowers, fruits, and veggies. I've been to Harrogate, btw... the town sits on the edge of the Yorkshire moors and is also famous for its big-ass NSA listening post.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.