Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Ya Hadda Be There

"There" being here... Dorian House Bed and Breakfast in Bath, England:


That's a long view of the outside and a closer shot of The Usual Suspects gathered under the sign before we set out to do touristy things in Bath.  Don't they look ALL enthused?  I'm thinking this shot might have been taken the morning after the night before, wherein we went pub crawling in Beautiful Downtown Bath, which was within walking distance of the B&B.  Dorian House has a good web site, btw.  Here's a blurb from the opening page:
Enter an atmosphere of period charm in Dorian House, built of Bath stone circa 1880. Extensively refurbished in 2009 with Marble bathrooms and high pressure showers,  a new Breakfast-Orangery and additional room "SLAVA" in memory of the great cellist Rostropovich. Characterful bedrooms have a restful ambience and views over the Royal Crescent or well-tended gardens. Some have traditional oak four-poster or superking size beds and are luxuriously decorated with opulent fabrics and stunning decor. Crisp cotton sheets, fluffy towels, tea/coffee making facilities, television, hairdryer and telephone ensure a comfortable stay.
Their pictures are a lot better than mine, too... they musta been done by pros. But we digress.  This particular B&B was one of the nicest ones we stayed in during the Infamous UK Tour of 1990/91.  The Second Mrs. Pennington went to great lengths to plan our trip route and itinerary, something she excelled at doing, among her many other skills and general all-around wonderfulness.   

That said, we also played things pretty loose, allowing for changes in plan and all that.  We usually made B&B reservations for the following night on the day before we arrived, using a Fodor's Guide to the UK as our source.  Things worked out pretty well in that regard but it's too bad the inner-nets weren't as developed then as they are today.  Some of the copy in Fodor's was pretty misleading, resulting in a one-night stay in places we rather not have stayed.

Now... about the "you hadda be there bits."  Here are a few shots of us after our night on the town, during which the pubs closed before we were ready to call it a night.  So we returned to the B&B, finding we had the parlour and its beer supply all to ourselves.  Herewith some pics of the party's continuation...

 The Lovely Miss Lynch, SN1, and TSMP shortly after we arrived and before the parlour warmed up.

 TSMP in front of the fire which wasn't fired up.  It should have been, coz it was CHILLY in there, Gentle Reader.

 SN1 striking a country gentleman pose.

Not to be outdone, I snagged TWO brass pheasants.

We drank all the beer in the fridge (literally) and then headed upstairs to our rooms.

Ya hadda be there, like I said.  It was just another great night on the road in Ol' Blighty, one of many.  That vacation was waaay too damned short.

12 comments:

  1. The Dorian House looks grand. You are right; their website is great. Being August, I could use a nice vacation...So what did they serve for breakfast. Toby and I stayed in a great B&B in Banff, but after hiking and site-seeing, I wanted somethinig substancial for breakfast, instead they served bear food - fruits and nuts and things "good for ya."

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what did they serve for breakfast

    You had your choice of a full English breakfast or croissants and the like. And it's obvious that the new owners have done GREAT things with this fine ol' B&B... the pictures aren't much like the place we stayed in... as it was. It was nice, mind you, just not AS nice. I love the music on the web site, too... it's been my soundtrack all morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buck, great pics of what had to be a great vacation. The Dorian House looks larger and statlier than the B&B's we stayed in when we were in England in '87. But most of them were nice and had as you say the "full English Breakfast." What I noticed frequently in some of the very old ones (one was close to 300 years old) was the short door frames. Some were six feet and a few were even shorter. One had a sign that said "Duck or Grouse." Heh. We stayed three weeks and toured all around, always eating in pubs (cheaper and probably just as good food as in the more expensive restaurants).

    Thanks for sharing your memorable vacation and provoking a good memory of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buck, I may have missed this in previous posts, but are you and the clan still in contact with Miss Lynch?

    Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Seems TSMP has been ousted from this discussion. I have missed being in touch with Ms. Lynch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it illegal to bag the Queen's pheasants? Just sayin...

    There is a decided "day after" look on the faces of the subjects in one of the first photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I once threw a piece of coal on the fire at the "Bird in the Hand" hotel outside of Mildenhall.

    The deskclerk came running almost 40 microseconds later and fished it out.

    She looked at me like I was an idiot. "Please sir, we don't waste coal here." Waste hell, it's fricking freezing! She says, "we turn the heat on at 10pm."

    "Great! Warm the body after its dead." So anyway, I found two pieces of coal on the street walking from town, and put them in a plastic bag. When I gave it to the desk clerk, I thought maybe I gave him Gold by mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dan: B&Bs in the UK are THE way to go. TSMP and I stayed in one on a farm in Scotland when we were stationed in England... and there were numbers on the farmhouse exterior wall that we took for the address... something like "1665"... until we were corrected by the owner to the effect of "Nay... that was when the house was built." I think you did the right thing by eating in pubs at the time you went; the Great English Cuisine Renaissance hadn't hit yet. We always ate in pubs, too, but the restaurants had improved by an order of magnitude last time I was in London (in the mid-90s).

    Ha! Seems TSMP has been ousted from this discussion. I have missed being in touch with Ms. Lynch.

    I don't QUITE get that, Paula.

    BR: I'm pretty sure "day after" was the case. ;-)

    Anon: We used to "go early" to the pubs for lunch in winter when I was at Uxbridge so we could get a seat by the fire. I SO hear ya about their heating habits. You could hang meat in the pubs when they opened in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did the Brits find your accent delightful? If you had the opportunity to ever read Rachel Lucas' blog, you would have really identified with her as an Amurkin in Britain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you had a great time Buck and enjoy reading your fond memories of Britain. It's always nice to feel you guys like us! I love Bath. City with the best small hotel in the world: Royal Crescent. If you ever make it back this way you should look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did the Brits find your accent delightful?

    My Brit friends used to tease me unmercifully about my accent but always in a good way, of course. I've read some of Rachel's stuff and found myself wishing we had had the inner-nets (read as: blogs) when I was living in the UK. I can relate to some of her writing!

    Alison: Thanks, Sweetie! So NICE to see you in these parts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Buck, lovely to see you too. Slowly making my way back..been a rough few months :(

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.