Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Amazing. And Not So Amazing.

First... this lil blurb from the AFA's Daily Report:
Global Observer Completes First Flight: AeroVironment's Global Observer high-altitude, hybrid-electric, remotely piloted aircraft has made its first flight. The aircraft took to the skies over Edwards AFB, Calif., climbing to 4,000 feet and maneuvering under the watchful eye of its remote operator before landing successfully after one hour aloft earlier this month. "This flight marks the beginning of an exciting new phase in the Global Observer technology demonstration program," said Tim Conver, AeroVironment's chairman and CEO, in a company release. The company is maturing Global Observer under a Pentagon-sponsored joint capability technology demonstration. The RPA is designed to loiter at altitudes between 55,000 feet and 65,000 feet and stay aloft for up to a week, performing roles such as relaying communications or monitoring weather. With the maiden flight in the books, the company is now prepping for a long-endurance operational utility assessment later this year. (For more, see UPI report.)
Didja get that?  All of that?  "Hybrid-electric?" Unmanned week long flights at 55 - 65 thousand feet?  Here's a quote from the linked UPI article:
"Two Global Observer aircraft, each flying for up to a week at a time, will alternate coverage over any area on the Earth, providing a seamless, persistent platform for high-value missions such as communications relay, remote sensing, long-term surveillance and disaster recovery," the company said.
Here's an illustration of the concept of operations (CONOPS):


I dunno about you, Gentle Reader, but I think this is just VERY frickin' cool... especially the technology behind the concept.  The CONOPS is amazing in itself.  Talk about persistent observation!  This brings new meaning to the ol' saw about "you can run but you sure can't hide!"

―:☺:―

This, OTOH, ain't so cool.


If you mouse over the sender's name in G-mail you'll see who sent ya the message.  Except that the feature is often wrong, especially when it comes to blog comments.  WHY does G-mail think everyone that comments at EIP is Kris?  This got me in trouble in comments recently, until I figgered it out.

8 comments:

  1. It thinks it's me cuz - well, why wouldn't it. ;-)

    Seriously, this is not good Buck. Hope you can get to the bottom of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool stuff aloft! I am curious about that "hybrid-electric" thing though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But what happens when it IS Kris? Yes, I could see where that MIGHT cause some confusion.

    But, Kris, look how popular you are with G-Mail!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you sure that Hybrid-electric thang is not spyin' on us? Not that I care, but some weirdo conspiracy theorists will be crazed by this plane flying around. It could be worse than the black helicopters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regarding "run but can't hide"...

    I had a roommate once who was a Navy doorgunner on UH-1 helicopters in the Mekong. I've also heard it in a movie later, but it goes like this: "Don't run, you'll just die tired."

    One of the funniest though, was he said at night, the incoming ground fire it looked like everyone was taking his picture.

    He was considered a lucky charm because he survived so many missions. Alas, he caught a round that nearly tore his right cheek of his ass off. He said he wished his gene pool didn't have such a big ass in it.

    He really was lucky though, as he didn't get hit in the spine or major nerves, or ahem, gonads...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kath - I'm miffed! Popular "with G-Mail", which implies somehow that's the only place I'm popular...

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, but, Kris, isn't G-Mail THE most biggest, most famous of all places?

    I mean, of course, besides EIP.

    Oh, dear, I'm just digging myself a deeper hole, aren't I?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously, this is not good Buck. Hope you can get to the bottom of it.

    I don't know how I would or even if I could, Kris. It's just nice to be AWARE of the glitch, finally.

    Moogie: I spent quite a while reading on the Global Observer yesterday and I never did find sufficient detail on the power-plant.

    Yes, I could see where that MIGHT cause some confusion.

    It did, Kath. Embarrassed me, too.

    It could be worse than the black helicopters.

    NOTHING'S worse than the black helicopters. If you see them... it's all over. ;-)

    Anon: I'd heard the "die tired" thing before. And your roomie was a fortunate man, indeed.

    Oh, dear, I'm just digging myself a deeper hole, aren't I?

    Remember the first rule of holes, Kath: Quit digging. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.