Saturday, May 01, 2010

The Current and Minor Brouhaha about Airplanes

Harrison Ford is catching flack for claiming to be an environmentalist when he owns not one but SEVEN airplanes.  About which, this:
Me?

I’m giving him heat for having seven airplanes while I have none. Because I really do think that at a certain point you have enough airplanes.

(Actually, no I don’t. Airplanes are like motorcycles: You need one for every occasion.)
That would be Lex... our favorite former Hornette driver, now general aviation enthusiast and BMW moto-pilot.  And my hat is off to his most brilliant turn of a phrase with "at a certain point you have enough airplanes!"   

That said... I'm not even remotely familiar with airplane-driving for either bid'niz or pleasure (that would be the bid'niz/pleasure of breaking things and killin' people what needs killin') but I certainly relate to the mo'sickle bit.  Alas... these days we must satisfy ourselves with but a single moto, mainly because of a lack of wherewithal to acquire and support more than one, not to mention the lack of a suitable stable in which to keep them.

It t'wasn't always so.  I recall moments in time in the way-back when our stable had no less than three steely steeds therein.  For as many purposes.   (sigh)

7 comments:

  1. The thought of having just one airplane capable of flying me anywhere my little heart desires, without having to deal with TSA, gives me the envious drools.

    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh... I hear THAT. I've pretty much made up my mind that my flying days are over... I hate the TSA THAT much. I won't go if I can't drive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad always subscribed to the philosophy that you can't have too many muscle cars.

    So the stable of my childhood was properly filled with anywhere from 2 to 5 muscle cars of varying vintages and, um, needs.

    Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kris: Heh. I SO envy you your childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a lot of respect for Mr. Ford in general, but on environmental issues he's just the biggest jerk. Not the first example of "one carbon footprint for you, one for me" hypocrisy in Indiana Jones' long litany of...whatever. This is the guy who shaved his chest to make some kind of statement about the rainforest or what-not.

    Bah. Someone put a snake in one of those planes.

    Love the way Lex thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buck - believe me when I say I know how blessed I was for that childhood. My dad was cool before anyone else knew what cool really meant.

    It made for a unique and, at least where the memories of him are concerned, truly happy childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear ya, Kris. I have some of the same issues with my parents, well... HAD... that you have. No fun.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.