Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Tonight's the Night

Tonight we begin what will hopefully turn out to be a long and deep run in the playoffs.  I say that every year, of course.  And Dee-troit's run has been deep indeed these last two years, with a Cup in 2008 and a SCF loss in seven games to an undeserving team last year.  This year marks the Wings' 19th consecutive appearance in the playoffs... the longest such streak in professional sports... and the first time since 1991 that the Wings open the playoffs on the road.

We're hopeful again this year, what with the Wings being the league's hottest team since the Olympics break... going 16-3-2.  But... our first round opponent is the league's second hottest team since the Olympics... the Phoenix Desert Dogs (13-4-2).  And strange things happen in the playoffs, especially when the Wings run into a team with a hot goalie.  We don't wanna even think about a first round exit.  So we won't.

That said, nearly everyone predicts a first-round win for the Wings.  Here's what the ESPN guys think:


And the homer columnists in Dee-troit all agree, Detroit will prevail in the first round.  After the first round?  The Freep sports guys are strangely pessimistic, with Albom predicting a second round exit, Sharp and Rosenberg predicting a loss in the West Final, Sipple with a loss in the SCF, and the eternally-optimistic Helene St. James (bless her heart!) predicting Detroit's 12th Stanley Cup.  I'll go on the record as Wings in five.  Me and Buccigross.

As for tonight?  We will be in front of the teevee over at Buck's house this evening precisely at 2000 hrs (MDT), wearing our Wings jersey with beer in hand.  And that might be the BEST part of these 2010 playoffs... Buck and I will get to see at least two games together this year.  Good stuff.

12 comments:

  1. Gonn'a make a real effort to watch the NHL playoffs this year. Watched a NY and Philly(?)game last weekend, got me pumped up. The skill level is incredible...

    Your passion for the game is rubbing off on me, Buck.

    Go Sabres!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the risk of double-posting a comment on my own blog... coz Google is being weird again...

    Your passion for the game is rubbing off on me, Buck.

    Ah, my work is (nearly) done. Coz ya know we're ALL about proselytizing and expanding the fan-base. ;-)

    I'm pulling for your Sabres. They're my sentimental favorite in the East, mostly coz of Miller. I really wanna see those flightless birds go out early... preferably to Ottawa, but anyone else would be good, too...like no later than the second round. But a first round exit for those guys would be the BEST of all possible worlds. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thing the some of the "sports journalism experts" said seven games. Game one was almost a donnybrook. Seems that the 'Yotes/Jets showed up with intensity. And in the East, my guys play tonight, I think.
    Blue, Blanc Et Rouge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I notice the B's get no love whatsoever. And, shame of it is, they're right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been extremely surprised by the near universal belief that the Wings will beat Phoenix. That's not some fluke out there in the desert - those boys can play.

    Avs 1-0. Yeah, baby!

    Oh, and um, 'Yotes 1-0, also. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems that the 'Yotes/Jets showed up with intensity.

    And the Wings didn't. They deserved to lose that game and they will lose the series if they don't match those Feral Dogs' intensity. This IS the playoffs.

    Jim: Two words: Ryan Miller.

    Andy: You're alive! ;-) Doan is my new new hate-object and frickin' Wolski ain't far behind. Yeah, the Feral Dogs CAN play. But so can the Wings, assuming they show up.

    I watched yer boys pull out the win with 0.46 left on the clock and laughed my ass off. Both SN1 and I agreed it felt really strange to be rooting for the Avs. But we both want to see the Sharks humiliated. Again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ready for Game 2. Are your Wings?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Wings will win tonight. There's absolutely NO doubt in my military mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As noted earlier: I TOLD ya.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tough one for me and mine, though. Still, I think it's kind of a win, because the Sharks shouldn't have much to feel good about after that one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks to Versus I only saw the last half of the third and the OT. But your Avs looked good based on what I saw. I think this is gonna be a long series.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.