Thursday, April 15, 2010

Beautiful?

Well... in Russian eyes.  We're speaking of this:


We got a significant amount of rain last evening (like all freakin' night, to be exact) and the overnight result is what you see above, to wit: HUGE numbers of bright yellow dandelions visible everywhere within the confines of Beautiful La Hacienda Trailer Park.  

This is a sight that would drive me to tears in my previous lives... speaking of those times when we lived in various suburban enclaves in this fine, fine country of ours.  Which was where the sight of a single dandelion with the temerity to raise it's bright yellow head in untold acres of verdant green Kentucky Blue Grass or similar would be cause for much gnashing and thrashing... if not within YOU, then most certainly among your neighbors who feared airborne contamination of their green space from the seed that would follow.  We simply did NOT tolerate dandelions and went to great lengths to eradicate them, with quite a bit of success too, not to mention expense.  And labor.

So... I carried that mindset to the former Evil Empire when I went there on bid'niz in the Spring of 1995 or thereabouts (actual dates fail me).  I was amazed at the carpets of dandelions seemingly everywhere... in the parks, in lawns in front of buildings modest and grand, apartment buildings, everywhere... Moscow was overrun with the damned things.   My Russian hosts laughed at my shock and said "Aren't they beautiful?  The dandelions announce the arrival of Spring, and we LOVE them!"

Well, OK.  It's hard to accept diversity sometimes, in even the smallest of things.  We struggle with the concept of dandelions even today.

―:☺:―

I'd go on about last night's hockey games but I'm just not in the mood.  My Beloved Wings did NOT show up last night in Phoenix and lost... 3 - 2 ... a game that they should have won.  To say Detroit's penalty kill was abysmal is understating things in an otherworldly way, as all three Feral Desert Dog goals came on the power play and that is disgraceful.  NOT a good beginning.

But I am not alone in my misery today.  The Senators beat down the Flightless Birds (a GOOD thing and oh-so-gratifying to watch), the Devils lost to the "we barely made the playoffs and squeaked in on the last day with only 88 miserable points" Flyers, and the Avs embarrassed the Number One seed in the West, winning with but 46 ticks left in regulation.  So there's plenty of misery among certain classes of puckheads today.  But.  It IS early and we've only just begun.  There's much more agony and ecstasy ahead. 

13 comments:

  1. My sister and I were recently discussing dandilions. We have a great memory of laying in a field of yellow in Red River when I was a teen-ager and she was a very little girl. I sunbathed and sketched while she frolicked in the dandilions. I think dandilions are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Buck! You know weeds ARE pretty in their own way. Down here everybody wants a gorgeous San Augustinegrass or Bermuda golf course looking lawn. And, I'm partial to that "carpet" look myself.

    But, guess who is not. Pam loves weeds...the Springtime type, and won't let me kill many of her favorite ones.

    Man, we've also got something she calls "spiderwart" I think...it's a weed that showed up on it's own one year, and it truly is gorgeous...then we've got some other pinkish-magenta thing that comes every April...displays its' glory, and withers by June.

    Dandelions are not my favorite (nor hers), but weeds ain't all bad.

    And oh yeah...blow some of that rain our way, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In there here parts dandelions are an inevitability and we just don't bother with dealing with them. They will always be there.

    Acceptance is best for the blood pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Wings-Yotes game got a bit chippy, dinnit?
    Got the Caps-Habs on right now. 2-2 with seven minutes left.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lou: I like dandelions in their place... and my lawn was NOT their place.

    Andy: Agreed - some weeds are beautiful indeed.

    Kris: You're a better person than I!

    Glenn: Just finished watching your Habs win... and they deserved it. Montreal was the better team tonight, by far. Now it's the Kings - Canucks. I don't have a dog in that fight but kinda favor the Kings. I have this grudge against Luongo from February... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a little grudge, right!?!?!?!?!?!
    It may be a hockey fan's dream in this playoff. Both number one seeds lost game one! And Alexander the great didn't get any shots on goal in regulation. Go HABS!
    Vive le Blue, Blanc et Rouge!!!!!!!!!!!
    I will be keeping any eye on the Kings. A lady I facebook with and met via Flopping Aces is a Kings fan. She is originally from my part of the world, The Hi Line in NC Montana.
    Jonathan Quick is having a great first period, so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It may be a hockey fan's dream in this playoff. Both number one seeds lost game one!

    Unless you happen to be a Fish or a Caps (Hats?) fan...

    The Habs shut down #8 VERY effectively; I was most impressed. Once again, I don't have a dog in that fight, but being typically American I'll root for the Canadian underdog. And I HATE HATE HATE that frickin' siren in the Caps' arena. It would be OK with me if they get shut out at home the rest of the way just so I don't have to listen to that damned siren.

    And yeah: Quick is looking good. But so is Looooo...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hated dandelions as a kid; Dad made me pull them up off our lawn every week.

    Dandelions are quite edible and make the ultimate green salad. Look at it this way; You pull 'em, wash and eat. Remove the weed and still get something positive back.

    I wonder how they make dandelion wine?

    That would be the kind of "green" I could get into.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always been rather fond of dandelions, myself. Nothing more cogent to add, unfortunately...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never had dandelion wine, Darryl... but I'm entirely open to new experiences. My Dad made me spend way too much time out in the yard pulling those damned things, too.

    Jim: As I said above: they have their place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Russians are weird. We have them to thank for tumbleweeds, too! Russian Thistle, after all...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have some odd dandelions growing in between the bricks on my patio. They were so elegant when they bloomed last summer that I would go out each day and snip them just as after the blossom died. I didn't get them all, though, so now they're everywhere. I haven't found out what kind they are, though.

    I've always thought that we'd be mighty grateful for the plants if our civilization ever crashed.

    Dandelion wine?

    I just found out that my mystery dandelion is actually a "false" dandelion known as catsear!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for those links, Bec! Who'd a thunk you could actually BUY dandelion wine? I was amazed at the number of recipes for "making your own," too.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.