Friday, March 12, 2010

You're a Cop. Which Would YOU Choose?

At a private fleet sales event in Las Vegas today, Ford finally took the wraps off a new generation Police Interceptor model based on the 2010 Taurus. The new car has big shoes to fill as the Crown Vic has accounted for 70 percent of all police vehicle sales over the past five years.

[...]
The base model gets the 3.5-liter V6 found in other Tauruses with over 263 horsepower and 250+ lb-ft of torque. This naturally aspirated 3.5-liter engine is flex-fuel capable and gets 25-percent better fuel efficiency than the 4.6-liter V8 in the Crown Vic. The base models are available with either front- or all-wheel-drive. The top end pursuit version of the new Police Interceptor gets the full SHO powertrain including its 365-hp twin-turbo EcoBoost 3.5-liter V6 and all-wheel-drive as standard.
Or Chevy's Caprice (actually a re-badged Aussie Holden)?
Well, it's official. General Motors has resurrected the Australian-built Zeta sedan for North America, only this time around, it's just for the cops. Set to arrive in your local muni's police fleet in 2011 is the Chevrolet Caprice police patrol vehicle (PPV). First thing's first: it is not the Holden Commodore, a.k.a. Pontiac G8 (rest in peace). It's a left-hand-drive version of the long-wheelbase, Zeta-platform Holden Caprice/Statesman. Many of you already know that this car is also sold in the Middle East as, you guessed it, the Chevy Caprice. Also, as had been rumored – you can't buy one. It's a fleet special only, and we can envision fistfights breaking out over these at police auctions in a few years. 

The Caprice Cop Special gets an E85-compatible 6.0-liter V8 dishing out 355 horsepower and 385 lb/ft of torque, and as you'd expect, the engine's duly ruggedized for police duty with oil, transmission and power steering coolers, along with a heavy duty alternator. And yes, the brakes and suspension are uprated. Cue the Elwood Blues litany whenever you're ready. 
 MY department would choose the Caprice.  There wouldn't be one single damned front-wheel-drive (ptui!) or bastardized AWD car in my fleet.  And besides that... we have a VERY soft spot in our heart for the last edition of the Caprice... specifically our late lamented Impala SS... which was a tarted up Caprice with a Vette motor.  I MISS that car.  And so do thousands of cops all over these United States.

Images from the respective autoblog articles.

7 comments:

  1. I'd take the Ford. I just say no to Government Motors. Although, since they are being built with my tax dollars, maybe they should just give them to the Police Departments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I KNEW what your response would be, BR. You'd take the Ford basically because you're a Ford guy, no? ;-)

    I think I might buy that Cadillac CTS I've been thinking about for a month now and post a different big-ass pic of it EVERY day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if you bought that Caddy, at least I'd feel better about one of the places my tax dollars are being spent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, so my choices are a 263 HP 3.5L V6 or a 355 HP 6.0L V8? Hold on, let me th-CHEVY.

    Duh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer Fords, esp in the truck lines. I think GM cars ride better and I like their V8 motors better as I think its easier to get more power from them. I think the Ford has a better (stiffer)frame and I think the bodies are better built. My truck (a Ford product) has the best motor, with exception of my Dodge Super Bee, that I've owned. Its a single overhead cam 3 valve aluminum motor that would easily tow our 28 foot tag along trailer. But, that's me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lou: Good on ya!

    BR: ;-)

    CL: Thanks for dropping by!

    Dan: I'm a die-hard GM fan, if'n ya didn't know by now. My boys are split, in that one owns a big-ass Ford Excursion or Expedition (forget which) and the other has a Yukon and a Chevy short-bed. And I'm seriously thinkin' about that CTS. Srsly.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.