Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Interesting



I'd try it.  And that's saying a LOT, since I've long had nothing but contempt for Nikka's products.  But my contempt is based on my experiences with Black Nikka, the most common well whiskey in Japanese bars. That was true during my stints in Nippon in the way-back; things may have changed.  Black Nikka is one of the roughest, nastiest whiskeys I've ever had (except maybe for Mekong) and is comparable to Ten High in quality but not taste (Nikka is scotch-like).    But then again we're talking lowest common denominator rot-gut swill.  Nikka is thinking about importing their good stuff... and I'd try it.  One thing I've found in my whiskey explorations is price and quality ARE directly related... you definitely get what you pay for.

4 comments:

  1. Don't you just love the color of whiskey? I rarely drink whiskey - mostly when I have a bad cold, but it is beautiful. Like I said, tea and cookies are more my style. Does that make me sound old and frumpy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. re: the color of whiskey. Yes, I DO. Especially in summer when I sit outside and swirl it in my glass in the waning sunlight. It won't be long now... And you NEVER sound old and frumpy to me, M'Dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those castor oil looking medicine bottles the stuff is in are pretty cool. I love the art of the liquor bottle. And it is best with whiskey, because of that stellar color you two are on about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got that right, Andy. There's some serious art in liquor bottles. And what's in 'em, too.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.