Friday, December 11, 2009

The Triviality of Daily Life

An Ol' Fartism:  So... it came to our attention that Lady Gaga was named Number Two on  Baba Wawa's 2009 Most Fascinating People list and being the curious sort we are we went looking for one of her songs/videos.  Turns out that "Bad Romance" is currently Numero Uno on Viral Vids top 20... the 30-day list (this link will not age well).  We watched it.  We were amused.  But... if the test is "would you pay real money for this woman's music?" my answer would be "no."  Lady Gaga kinda-sorta resembles a modern day Cyndi Lauper to these eyes, but then again... I'm not exactly into MTV any longer or most any/all pop culture phenoms.  There was a time... but its expiration date has long since passed, being something like "best by 12/15/1997." Just sayin'.

And while we're sayin'... gimmee a call if Lady Gaga ever does something like this:


Poignant, innit? Not to mention being a great tune...
―:☺:―

I placed a trouble call/complaint with our local Comcast cable teevee office (yes, there is a local number... answered by a real, live human bean who actually lives and works here in P-Ville, not in Mumbai, Bangalore, or some other exotic location) about the quality of my HD service late last Friday afternoon... or more specifically the lack of quality: the transmission freezes randomly and sometimes just quits altogether.  The Comcast tech was prompt in returning my call, leaving me a voice mail this past Monday which I didn't receive until Wednesday because I had stuffed my cell-phone in a coat pocket and forgotten I'd done so.  Getting old... with its associated memory lapses and unexplainable quirky actions... sucks, but we digress. 
So.  It seems like things were fine down at the office, but can we come out and check your cable, your cable box, and associated other stuff?  Sure, sez I... c'mon down.  The appointment was made on Wednesday afternoon for 1300 hours yesterday and The Men From Comcast, two each, spent at least an hour and a half in and around El Casa Móvil De Pennington yesterday.  The two techies identified various and sundry issues and resolved same, including swapping my cable box out for another one with a proven track record.  They were also surprised that I wasn't receiving the full complement of HD channels I'm paying for... promptly fixing that lil problem and assuring me I'll get a credit for the channels that had somehow gone missing.  And yes, I had noticed those channels had gone missing but assumed they were part of an expanded service offering, what with there being at least 15 different levels of available service, and me choosing the least expensive out of all of 'em, being the cheap-ass sort I am.  Bottom line: Stuff works fine now.  No further issues.  Yays!  Oh.  One more thing... Am I pleased with Comcast's service?  Yes, I AM.
Another revelation: the cable box also contains a DVR, which was 55% full of programs and movies recorded by its previous custodian... along with programming instructions to record the entire content of The Cartoon Channel (I exaggerate only slightly), every CSI program known to man, all Cops episodes, Family Guy, and numerous other shows... "numerous" being severe understatement.  It took me a full half hour to delete all the scheduled events and clean the DVR of previously recorded krep.  But we are now free from the tyranny of teevee schedules and can record every episode of Red Eye for viewing at a more convenient time, which means I will now be able to retire anytime before 0200 hrs.  This is a Good Thing.  Well, it will be once I figger out how to program the damned DVR... and there is no instruction manual.  But Hey!  I used to be a techie in a previous life, so I suppose this isn't a Big Deal compared to maintaining big-ass high powered radar systems.
Famous last words.

14 comments:

  1. You lucky dog! I am not one of the blssed to have HDR. And, no, don't have a big screen TV or even a plasma. (I do have a DVD player, tho -- whoo-hoo!!)

    Comcast here used to be kinda -- well, did what they wanted to do when they wanted to do it. But since Verizon/Fios have come on the scene things have stepped WAY up. No matter what, tho, they're always really nice.

    And Verizon can kiss my *** bec. they spray painted my front yard with 4 different colors and stripes and arrows -- looks like a damn Indian convention by my driveway!

    And this was after all the digging and the line running and the box in the ground installation, etc., etc.

    All with the motto of -- seriously -- "Just in case someone wanted Fios". Seriously. Guess what? No one does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having never seen/heard her, I checked out her vid. My take-

    She comes off as some type of female Marylyn Manson meets Annie Lennox…kind’a, sort’a. Not necessarily a bad thing, as I like all kinds of music. I’ve punished my speakers more than a couple times to MM’s ‘Beautiful People’.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypkv0HeUvTc

    Decent song - pop goes heavy Euro elctro dance.

    Lastly, I’d do her…she wouldn’t do me but still…just sayin’…

    On a scale from 1-10 I’d give a 7 maybe an 8, good beat, can dance to it (Not me, people who actually dance), though I have not freakin’ idea WTF she’s singing about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My, my. Cable guys arrive at the appointed time, effect repairs, and don't try to sell you some other service? Some quarters of hell must be totally iced over! Congrats to you!

    Re: Lady GooGoo or Geegaw or Gaga or whomever -- I'm hopelessly so not a fan of pop music. Now, play Lady Madonna or Lady Godiva for me and my ears will perk up, so Geezerdom does have its moments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lady Ga Ga - I just don't get her. Perhaps it's more about her persona than her music; who knows maybe she is talented. I just haven't heard evidence of it yet. Then again, I never liked Madonna - still don't - with the exception of her Ray of Light CD. That is a killer recording.

    Comcast is who I have and I've always been more than pleased with their service. I also like that about once a year I call them to renegotiate my monthly rate. They always find ways to save me a few dollars. Never a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Kath... that's interesting... to say the VERY least... about the damage done to your front yard. While I realize spray-painting the grass ain't exactly "damage," but still...

    Small-Tee: Thanks for that link. While the music is good (I like MM a lot) the vid is just a tad "disturbing," to sa the very least!

    re: Lastly, I’d do her…she wouldn’t do me but still…just sayin’…

    Yup. Agreed. On all counts!

    Moogie: Agreed with your observations about pop music today. I've apparently turned into my father when I wasn't looking...

    On Comcast's service.... I've found that service levels here in this small town are uniformly excellent. And that's one of the reasons I like living here.

    Kris: Madonna is/was the obvious comparison point, IMHO. But I chose Cyndi... not because of the particular vid I posted, but more on the lines of the other, more "rocker-ish" stuff she originally came out with. Cyndi then turned to more introspective, kinder-gentler fare, and that's what hooked me. I have a lot of her stuff... (I also have a few Madonna albums, as well. Don't tell anyone, mmm-kay?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buck, Use the model number of the DVR and search for it. Thats where I get my stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So you like things whose first name is PAVE, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Time after Time" Good tune!!

    BT: Jimmy T sends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Dan. The thought had occurred to me.

    William: Nope... I was a SAGE kinda guy.

    Jimmy: Most definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not a big Lady Gaga fan here either. What's fascinating about rolling around on the MTV video awards stage with fake blood dripping from you?

    Love our DVR. Now if only you got the Military Channel, you would be in hog heaven! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenny: I need to check... I might get the Military Channel now, after my service visit. Heh... I just checked, and I DO. We'll see how long this lasts...

    ReplyDelete
  12. We know this song. time after time.
    Proobi is like that hockey player we know...Proobi is the "verification" on this reply.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought this was hilarious. This reporter who is after a news story. The reporter is supposed to be a fly on the wall, not some puppy with his nose in your crotch:

    "Deadline was 20 minutes away and I still had no star interview from this damned sioree. But as I exited the revolving door, just about to enter it was Cyndi Lauper! I was so shocked I just blurted out: "Cyndi Lauper!" She smiled and I said, "Greg Hernandez, Denver Post. Two quick questions?" She nodded, I put the recorder near her gorgeous mouth (she is a beautiful woman) and was able to get an item for today's paper."

    I bet you did Greg, I bet you did. What did she smell like?

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.