Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Farolitos

The image above is taken from The Wiki and shows the traditional New Mexican Christmas decoration... the farolito, also known as the luminaria.  You can see some pretty cool images of houses and neighborhoods decorated with farolitos just by googling the term.

Speaking of farolitos... The first Christmas The Second Mrs. Pennington and I spent in our Ferndale home we were startled to see both sides of Oakridge Avenue decorated with farolitos just after nightfall.  As a matter of fact the entire neighborhood for two blocks west and three blocks south (that would be six blocks, for the math-challenged) was so decorated.  The effect was stunning in an old, established leafy Deetroit burb that is a long way from New Mexico.  Yep... we most certainly did go for a walk that evening...

―:☺:― 

Tidings of Comfort and Joy Dept.:  I phoned my dentist a minute or three ago to see if we're still on for 1400 hrs today.   The answer?  "Yes."  The lab came through, the Good Doctor has examined the crowns, pronounced them acceptable, and we shall have five new teeth in our head this afternoon.  For those of you who have been with me for the last two years (and we do NOT exaggerate) you will know this represents the final step in our Adventures In Modern Dentistry, at least as far as this installment goes.  There may be more.


Your understatement of the day:  I'm a Happy Camper.

9 comments:

  1. Good luck on this, hopefully, final chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The farolitos are cool, and the pics at the google search are pretty sweet, too. I always remember seeing a lot of those around, wherever I lived. I'll have to get out with the fam to check out the 'hood in the next couple of nights.

    Enjoy them new chompers! I don't envy your actual time at the dentist, though. One of my biggest fears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, on the toofus's. Nothing more satifying than to hear the final "snap".

    We use white bags for our luminaria. I guess we're snobs.

    Enjoy your steak!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kris, Andy, and Darryl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first saw the picture, I thought they were paper bags set over lights. Turns out I was right.

    I like the origin of the faralitos. Truly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yea...hope the final phase of the Adventure in Modern Dentistry turns out well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BR: Thanks. The Doctor cemented the crowns in with no problems. It feels weird to have upper molars again, but it's something I'll get used to mighty danged quick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love luminares - takes me back to my NM days. New teeth - sounds exciting. I know this has been a long time in coming. May it all go well.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.