Thursday, November 05, 2009

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack



I didn't include Paul Simon in the post below (my variation on the theme of "15 Favorites") but I probably should have done so.  Simon is one of my very favorites... a guy I return to time and time again.  This particular cut is from "Graceland," but the cut I was really looking for... "Peace Like a River," from the first Simon solo album... doesn't exist on YouTube.  And that first solo album is what we're really listening to on this warm, sunny Fall afternoon.  No matter.  "Crazy Love, Part II" works almost as well.  Sorta.  But... like most things in life: ya hadda be there.  So, herewith the lyrics of the tune just now played:
Ah, peace like a river ran through the city
Long past the midnight curfew
We sat starry-eyed
Ooh, oh,we were satisfied
O-o-oh, And I remember
Misinformation followed us like a plague
Nobody knew from time to time
If the plans were changed
Oh, oh, oh, if the plans were changed.

You can beat us with wires
You can beat us with chains
You can run out your rules
But you know you can't outrun the history train
I seen a glorious day, aiee------


Ah, four in the morning
I woke up from out of my dreams
Nowhere to go but back to sleep
But I'm reconciled
Oh, oh, oh, I'm going to be up for a while
Oh, oh, oh, I'm going to be up for a while

Oh, oh, oh, I'm going to be up for a while
Yup.  Ya hadda be there.  I was "up for a while" in the way-back... the story of my life, and all that.  And now... back outside.  Beer remains to be drunk, a second cigar has been lit.  Life is good.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't posted on yesterday's meme because I did not buy many albums back in my day, and it was causing me to have to think. But I did have a "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" album. And my Pandora is set to Paul Simon quite often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lou: Simon and Garfunkle were big faves of mine back in the day. I found it strange that Garfunkel's solo career flopped, but then again maybe not... I bought his first solo album. It was eminently forgettable.

    Moogie: Backatcha!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.