Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Broadening Our Horizons VIII

That would be a Shiner Smokehaus. OK, purists... I freely admit the very ideer of mesquite flavored beer IS off-putting. But I just couldn't help myself... I'll let ya know if it's as bad as it sounds.  Or as good.  Whatevah.


That's an Acid Opulence 3 in the ashtray.  We have some experience with this cigar... and it's very, very good.  And now... outside! 


Update, later that same day:  Unaccustomed as I am to the language of connisseurs... here's a review from Beer Advocate (which gave Smokehaus an overall rating of B-, based on 79 reviews):
Pours golden yellow with a thick soapy head.

Aroma is surprisingly sour charred grassyness. Grainy, with just a hint of mesquite smokiness.

Taste is very smokey. Mesquite along with a touch of cooked meat dominates. Underlying hint of dark fruit. Finish is crisp, grassy, with a touch of adjunct sweetness.

Mouthfeel is light and smooth.

Overall a smokey lager with a nice crisp finish.
I diverge from the review only slightly.  First of all... the pour was a hearty golden orange and quite pleasing albeit with little to no head, as can be seen in the pic I posted.  Second... the beer's taste is more than a lil bit sour.  That's not a bad thing, in and of itself... more of a matter of taste.  Some folks like "sour" in a beer, some don't.   I didn't "get" the smoky taste; it wasn't all that discernible to my palate.  Don't get me wrong... the smoky taste and aroma was there... it just wasn't prominent.


Still and even: worthy.  Which is not to say Smokehaus will be a regular here at El Casa Móvil De Pennington.... more like we're not sad we bought it.  I'll finish the sixer but I won't be buying more anytime soon.

11 comments:

  1. In the single biggest understatement I have made in recent months: I am curious to know about this beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the update answered the mail, Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smokey Beer - is that a pun? You know he originated in NM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Were you sipping with the seegar in hand? That COULD influence the fact that the smokiness was lost on you. I am a Shiner fan, but something in the critique twisted in my mouth like the last batch i brewed... with a finish similar to a near lifeless 9V battery on the tongue. Not saying i wouldn't complete the task should you slip one into my hand...just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never have tasted that one, but I really like the label. Seriously. It looks like it could have come unscathed from the 50's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update, Buck. It's the kind of thing that I just have to try myself. Seems so...strange.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lou: So... one wonders if Smokey brinks Smokehaus, eh?

    Jay: If you look at the larger pic closely you'll note the beer level is down about a quarter of an inch. I took my first couple of sips before I lit the cigar for the very reason you stated. The beer just didn't strike me as all that smoky. I might should have had two, but I followed up with a Mothership Wit.

    Jim: The label caught my eye immediately, believe it or don't. For just the reason you stated: great retro design!

    Andy: It IS... strange! :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mesquite along with a touch of cooked meat dominates.

    Um, that statement alone would make me run for the hills.

    Because yes, everyone needs cooked meat already in their beer, thereby eliminating the need for a hamburger at a summer cookout.

    You are a brave man Buck. Brave and...something else... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brave and...something else... :-)

    Care to elaborate on that, Miz Kris? :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. Norah Jones and Shiner all in one week?

    You seem to be in a Texas frame of mind, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried a smokey brew in a San Diego brewhaus some years ago. The name of the brewhaus escapes me. The name of the brew does not escape me, for it was purposely forgotten. I was not impressed. For me, smoke belongs in cigars and fires.

    Hope you enjoyed yours, however.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.