Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Red Eye, Rock 'n' Roll

Being a SERIOUS Red Eye junkie, I was kinda-sorta impressed with this lil blurb:
Fox News’ 3amET comedy/news hybrid Red Eye is in a league of its own when it comes to cable news shows. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t a player in the ratings.

Despite its late (or early, depending on your sleep habits) start time, the ratings for the show continue to improve, and surprisingly, top some cable news competition you might not expect.

[…]

The show is looking up year-to-year as well. Compared to September 2008, the program grew 23% in total viewers and 43% in the A25-54 demographic. But let’s look at the individual shows. Last week we wrote about the 13 shows at the top of the ratings in September – all on Fox News. Red Eye, naturally, wasn’t one of them. Here’s where they fell – this is the full chart for September programs.

Red Eye averaged 432,000 total viewers and 202,000 in the demo. Let’s deal with the demo first – CNN’s 8pmET show, hosted by Campbell Brown, averaged 191,000 in the demo. Let’s just let that one sink in – Fox News had more people in the all important A25-54 demographic watching their channel at three in the morning (east coast time) than CNN had for the show that leads off their prime time. This says as much about Fox News as it does about CNN. Wow.
Wow, indeed. I'm thinking one of the reasons my sleep habits are so hosed is I refuse to miss Red Eye. There's a price to be paid for that, but I'm more than willing to pay it. And besides that… I don't have to be anywhere in the morning anyway, so why not? I mean… who'd want to miss stuff like this (on the Polanski thing travesty)?


 

I'm thinking there are a LOT of folks out there who Tivo or otherwise DVR Red Eye for later viewing. I might do that sort of thing too, were I not such a Luddite.

―:☺:―

Speaking of Red Eye… one learns all sorts of useful things by watching that show. Fer instance… last night they did a segment on the 2010 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees. Herewith (courtesy of The Wiki) is the list:


The 2010 nominees for the performers category were announced on September 23, 2009. Five inductees will be announced in January 2010, and inducted at a ceremony in New York on March 15.[90]

·         ABBA
·         The Chantels
·         Jimmy Cliff
·         Genesis
·         The Hollies
·         Kiss
·         LL Cool J
·         Darlene Love
·         Laura Nyro
·         Red Hot Chili Peppers
·         Donna Summer
·         The Stooges

ABBA? LL Cool J? What in the Sam Hill does either of these acts have to do with Rock 'n' Roll? Years and years ago I was in complete, fanatical agreement with Neil Young when he sang…


The point Neil makes… if'n ya didn't watch the vid… is "rock 'n' roll can never die." I agreed back then… I'm not so sure now. Maybe the art form will live on but the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame is doing its bit to discredit something I hold dear, if not kill it outright. LL Cool J? Sheesh. It is to frickin' weep.

7 comments:

  1. Donna Summer is pretty much disco. Do we honestly have to consider disco as rock 'n roll? Puh-leeze. That's almost as bad as LL Cool J. Where's Old Dirty Bastard, for cryin' out loud?!?

    My verify word is "drankt," as in "I drankt yesterday" without the apostrophe between the k and t!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Point taken on Ms. Summer, Moogie. I should have included her name in my mini-rant... she AIN'T rock 'n' roll. That said... didja know I have at least ONE of her albums in my collection? Oh, ignominy... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Ain't. Adding in "Pop" has diluted it all.

    But I could see ABBA over Jimmy Cliff. I think Jimmy Cliff never really had a hit single where as we have all been annoyed a lifetime by the entire ABBA playbook. (Knowing me, knowing ewe)

    The Hollies were more pioneering than say, LL Cool J. But that is not to say that LL Cool J was not pioneering in DRAL. (Disco Rap and Lip Synch).

    Fuggeddabout it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. virgil xenophon07 October, 2009 01:08

    Face it Buck, come clean, you and I only watch Red Eye for the plethora of smokin' hot infobabes & various & sundry sultry actresses, singers, etc., that appear there CONSISTENTLY (thank God!)

    LOL! You talking about the music on Red Eye reminds me of everyone who says they only red Playboy for the stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darryl: Yeah... the R'n'R HoF jumped the shark years ago. I've been through Cleveland a number of times and never even thought ONCE about stopping for a visit.

    Virgil: Heh. You got my number, dint ya?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The truth is that I couldn't tell you what LL Cool J has ever done in music, but he is so darn cute. You can catch him on "NCIS Los Angeles" on Tues. nights. The new TV series is not very good - not really worth watching. But if you guys can watch TV for "the plethora of smokin' hot infobabes," I guess watching NCIS for the hunks is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lou: Whatevah floats yer boat, Madam!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.