Monday, July 20, 2009

Forty Years Ago Today...

... man walked on the moon.



"Man walked on the moon." Those words still amaze me today. Forty years ago... back when I was a young man of 24 years... the fact man walked on the moon was much more than amazing - it was spectacular, redeeming, inspiring... the list of superlatives goes on. But beyond this... it was American men who walked on the moon... two of 'em, in fact, on this July day 40 years ago. Thousands of Armstrong's and Aldrin's fellow American men and women pooled their talents and energies to accomplish this feat. The world watched in amazement and awe on July 20, 1969 as a Jules Verne fantasy came to life. This is the event that the phrase "you hadda be there" was coined for, little else comes close. It was a most significant accomplishment... and it was a most amazing time to be alive.

Further: I recommend Tom Wolfe's piece on NASA and the moon landings in the NYT if you haven't read it already. And the NYT's coverage of the anniversary in today's paper is quite good, as well.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, you had to be there!!!

    I remember where I was and all of the people I was with - some of them I wouldn't remember except for that day.

    I am still in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom patted me where I rested in her womb and said, "This child will walk on the moon!"

    Well, not quite, but maybe MY child will walk on Mars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember sitting in a room with many of us crowded around the TV watching a simulation photo before the astronauts actually walked on the moon. At nine years old, my eyes rolled back in my head - I was tired of being good (sitting quietly) when nothing was happening. I eventually got in trouble for being loud or moving around too much and got sent from the room. I eventually got to come back in, but memories are vague.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for contributing in this space (heh).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori: Further... about your reference. That just HAS to be among the most memorable yet obscure artistic non sequiturs about the moon shot. Period. End of report. :D

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.