Tuesday, March 03, 2009

A Reprieve of Sorts

I was supposed to undergo surgery today to get the titanium screws for my dental implants inserted into various places in my jaw bones... an event I've been looking forward to for about a year now. "Looking forward to" is understatement, Gentle Reader, as I've been longing for a good steak for over a year now... and the culmination of my Adventures in Modern Dentistry will enable me to indulge that desire. So, there's that anticipation. But there's also a certain amount of dread involved as well. Oral surgery ain't no picnic, even given the fact that the administration of World Class Drugs means no pain during the procedure itself. As a matter of fact, one undergoes general anesthesia... which means you're well and truly OUT for about four hours, less recovery time. One also remains loopy for about ten hours after you wake up, and that's not all that bad... all things considered. It's the week or so after the procedure that's rather unpleasant... but it's the price one pays, eh?

But. We DID say we got a reprieve, didn't we? The call came in at oh-dark-thirty this morning, about five minutes before my alarm went off. My dentist was taken ill last evening and had to cancel today's appointments. So... I accepted the cancellation and rescheduling with mixed emotions. On the positive hand... the day's normal amount of coffee was brewed and consumed with great pleasure (one must be caffeine-free on the day of the procedure) and Happy Hour will proceed apace this afternoon. On the proverbial other hand... we'll have to go through the (very minor) pre-op angst yet again next week.


But we MOST definitely can live with that. Oh yes... we CAN.


(No... there weren't any runway models involved in today's reprieve. I just liked the image. A lil too thin for my tastes, but pleasing, nonetheless.)

12 comments:

  1. What the - I had an appt with the dog this morning (she had a bit of cancer yanked from her eye a while back, and this was a follow-up), but the vet called and canceled on me (early this morn, too). I tell that little story to my co-worker, and he tells me that he was on his way to a physical therapy appt last night when his cell phone rang and it was the therapist canceling on him. Now your dentist? Is there some medical profession, insider, secret holiday that we don't know about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have something here, Andy. But OTOH... this is the very first time I've ever been canceled by a medico, of any sort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since the weather is so nice, I'm glad you got a reprieve - enjoy your happy hour. It is warmer here today, but the wind is howling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know whether to commiserate or congratulate!
    Well, how about I say Good Luck! for next week?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to know who's taking care of you afterwards, Buck.

    Do you have solid care lined up for the next twenty four hours? This is serious business. I'm feeling pangs of blog anxiety for your well being, you need someone nice to care for you. I want you to be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dental pain is one of the worst surgery pains known to man (or woman ;-). Be sure to demand that an adequate supply of pain drugs is in your possession before you go under.
    Pain management is all about keeping it at bay -- not trying to catch it after the fact. Best. pk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering how all that was going. Jeff and I saw the Green Hornet parked close to the good Dentist's office Monday and we both assumed you were undergoing something. Hope you enjoyed your "get out of surgery free" pass, if only for a short while!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely a mixed blessing, Buck. Maybe it's the karma from enjoying some Fat Tire last night.

    I despise dentists. I no it is a necessary evil, but that does not change how feel about them.

    I'd like to echo Daphne's comment's. That's not just a filling your are getting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lou: Happy Hour was good today. But then again, it usually is! ;-)

    Christina: I think "congratulate" would be appropriate, all things considered. And thanks for the good wishes. And Happy Birthday again!

    Daphne: I'll be taking care of me, and I do a fairly good job of it, too. ;-)

    I'm not trying to be a smart-ass or anything, and I most certainly DO appreciate your concern. But there ain't anyone here but us chickens... If ush comes to shove the cell phone will be fully charged and at my fingertips.

    PK: The scrips have already been filled and are sitting on my kitchen counter as we speak... so I am prepared. It won't be like that time in Detroit. Thanks for your thoughts.

    Jenny: Yeah, I was at Dr. T's Monday for my pre-op briefing and drug dispensing. And yeah... we definitely put the pass to good use! ;-)

    BR: I used to be in your shoes, but have had extraordinarily good luck with my dentists for the past eight years or so. My current guy... Dr. Thompson... is really, really GOOD. And thanks for your concern... MOST appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've not done post-op in an rv, but I have been horribly ill and one "nice" thing is all is close at hand. I did alert the office and a "neighbor" so someone was at least checking in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Re-Scheduled, eh? Funny - I had a dental appointment on the 2nd, re-scheduled because of snow. I was going for the initial phase of bottom jaw work, as I've had the uppers done some time ago (as you know.)

    Best of luck, my friend, and - again - any other questions you may have concerning the procedures or the aftermath, just drop me a line and I'll answer as best I can.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ann: You're so very correct about everything being close at hand in an RV. It's a maximum of six steps from my bed to the kitchen, four to the fridge and seven to the little room. I just paced it off. ;-)

    And as previously noted... my cell phone will be close by, too.

    Jim: Thanks for your best wishes and kind offer!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.