Friday, February 13, 2009

Trailer Park Sunset

We’ve not had many sunsets lately that live up to New Mexico’s billing in this space. The last few weeks have either been clear as a bell or completely overcast… there’s been no middle ground… which doesn’t make for photogenic sunsets. This past evening was a different story, though… and we were treated to the sort of sunset that made me grab my camera and step outdoors for 15 minutes or so.
I took 65 photos, beginning at 1732 hrs and ending at 1746 hrs. I can be that precise about the time because digital cameras tell you these things, ya know.
And, apropos of not much… can you imagine shooting 65 pictures on film, rather than on a digital camera? That would be over two and a half 24-exposure rolls of film… and I dunno about you, Gentle Reader… but I wasn’t in the habit of blowing that much money on a single sunset, no matter how beautiful. And then there was the wait for the finished product... even with one-hour (heh) processing... not to mention the expense of said processing. All that by way of saying “I (heart) technology”… especially when it comes to photography.
And now the pics… which have been re-sized and cropped... but NOT Photoshopped in any way. As always, click for larger.
We begin at 1732 hrs (above). The next two images are interesting, given they were taken a minute and a half apart and yielded significantly different results… which is ALL a function of the camera settings, as noted (selected meta-data below each image).
Image description Image 032
Datetime 2009:02:12 18:39:10
Exposure time 1/200 s
F-number 8
Exposure program Shutter priority
ISO speed ratings 1600
Image description Image 033
Datetime 2009:02:12 18:40:57
Exposure time 1/200 s
F-number 3.5
Exposure program Shutter priority
ISO speed ratings 200
And finally… 1746 hrs (above).

8 comments:

  1. I am a first time visitor. Your photos are very impressive.

    The color you captured in some of these is amazing. I don't know much about photography but they are very captivating.

    Picture 32 and 33 give the impression that the tree/bush is burning. That is neat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful skies and captures! I love seeing the progression and change of colors.

    Yep, I would also never have "burned" a couple rolls of film on a sunset...or anything. It is an entirely different ball game in the digital world - great fun, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you using that camera we discussed back a while.
    Sunrises and sunsets are a favorite of mine. Sunsets are easier since I don't have to make a point of getting up to see them.

    SantaJim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos, Buck. Prairie skies make the best sunsets I think. I have burned up many rolls of film on sunsets, in both color and black and white(using contrast filters). Sunrises ... not so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good lookin' shots, Buck. Real good lookin'.

    The technology thing has it's (small) drawback. There are so damned many shots of our RTO on my hard drive that I am intimidated by the thought of going through them to weed out good, OK, and deletable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Post-Card beautiful Buck, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your kind comments!

    I'm in general agreement with the "sunsets vs. sunrises," SantaJim and Deborah. That wasn't always so, particularly during my working days when I often viewed the sunrise from my office window. I like life a lot better these days.

    Andy: You better get started on organizing those RTO pics. It only gets worse... not better. Ask me how I know. ;-)

    Daniel: Thank for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.