Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Photo Linkage

I was chasing up a hit in SiteMeter a few minutes ago and stumbled upon some pretty nice photography taken around Portales during June of 2007. The folks at StormBruiser are in to chasing tornadoes... which, to my way of thinking, is a lot like poking around in bear dens. It might be exciting but rational people just don't DO that sort of thing. An excerpt from the link:
Rain and small hail descended upon us soon after these photos were taken. The cell was unable to develop strong, sustained, and tight rotation at low levels apparently, though it seemed like it wanted to get serious about tornado-making for a few minutes on the approach to Portales. We departed Portales and attempted to get southeast of the updraft base again, but heavy precipitation slowed us down some. Brian’s minivan came up lame with a flat tire, so we waited out the core and were treated to a brilliant mammatus and rainbow display on the west side of the storm before sunset.
The photos are just pretty danged cool... and illustrate one of the better things about living in these parts: brilliant vistas. We DID have some interesting weather in June of 2007. Here's a shot out my back door, four days after the shots at StormBruiser were taken.

This shot isn't nearly as good as the pics at the link... but dramatic, none the less. As taken... no P-shopping here....those are the colors as viewed in "real life."

7 comments:

  1. I should have become a Weatherman, this stuff fascinates the crap out of me! Awesome pics Buck, I just look at them and imaging the power that's generated in one of those clouds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinates me also!

    Not only are the photos amazing, but I really liked that site and how it worked and when I looked up the source, it is a program that I might be able to use to hook up selling photos on my site. Thanks for the link.

    Intense color in your photo - as you know I am partial to sky light - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well... that makes three of us in the "weather fascination" category!

    And I'm glad you found something useful on the site beyond the photos, Ann. You have a most-excellent eye and I just love your photography. I think you'd be QUITE successful in the commercial photography world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't miss much from CO, but I do miss those sunsets, and the occasional drive in to the Academy as the sun was just beginning to light the mountains. Ad a full moon setting behind them and it was almost worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doc sez: Ad a full moon setting behind them and it was almost worth the trip.

    Go visit Ann's site, Doc. She has great shots of the moon over Montana... which should remind you of Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome pic! We do have cool storms here (and thankfully they usually don't get too severe til they cross over that Texas line).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny: We're fortunate indeed about our storms... although I have had a few (very few) anxious moments in times past. I'm glad the hospital... and their safe room... is only about two minutes away from me. I've used it three times now.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.