Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I Wish I Was a Bear...

…so I could hibernate and miss all this sort of krep:

Obama's turn as Vogue cover girl establishes her as modern-day style icon

[…]

Michelle Obama will soon grace the cover of America's style bible, Vogue magazine, amid her stated intention to focus on raising her young girls and to implement a three-pronged policy agenda: supporting military families, helping working women balance career and family and encouraging public service.

Not surprisingly, in a celebrity-obsessed nation that has long adored its cover girls, it's Obama's role as a fashionista rather than her work ethic that's fuelling the most excitement.

The 45-year-old Obama is only the second first lady to appear on the cover of Vogue. Surprisingly, it wasn't Kennedy who beat her to the punch - it was Hillary Clinton in 1998, donning a black Oscar de Renta evening gown. Both first ladies posed for famed photographer Annie Leibovitz.

I'd LOVE to be able to say something like “Wake me when it’s over.” But I remain awake and crap like the above is simply unavoidable as it's seemingly EVERYWHERE.

And about that cover… “The First Lady the World's Been Waiting For?” Really? You mean the world wasn’t satisfied with previous First Ladies? Or just that part of the world that happens to view itself like this? (on the right, obviously) I, for one, thought the previous First Lady was stylish, graceful, and more importantly... eminently sensible and composed. The current First Lady has BIG shoes to fill, IMHO, Vogue cover or no.

Can we just frickin’ STOP THE MADNESS? It’s already beyond old… it’s pathetic.

11 comments:

  1. I guess the cover title would be true, if your small world was a fetid swamp of Bush Deranged Elitists.

    But a good question to think about; Would the First Lady be allowed into one of the Kennedy/Kerry Yacht and Country Clubs?

    Prolly not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...it's Obama's role as a fashionista rather than her work ethic that's fuelling the most excitement."

    That really says all I need to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...she selected her own wardrobe for the photo shoot.

    Great to see her Princeton and Harvard educations going to good use. Her family must be so proud.

    What was wrong with Eleanor Roosevelt, Jackie Kennedy, Nancy Reagan, even Hillary Clinton? And Barbara and Laura Bush?

    Yes Buck - please find a way to stop the madness. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The leftists, liberal Democrats keep insisting that Republicans and conservatives devalue women, yet they are the ones who have reduced Michelle Obama to a clothes horse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DC sez: But a good question to think about; Would the First Lady be allowed into one of the Kennedy/Kerry Yacht and Country Clubs?

    Good question, DC. But I think Mrs. Obama would gain entry MUCH sooner than I would. I don't have the "right" pedigree or tickets, appropriately punched, required for entry.

    Andy sez: That really says all I need to hear.

    In this particular case, yes. I'm hopeful that her work with military families gets an equal amount of press, but not all THAT hopeful.

    Kris sez: What was wrong with Eleanor Roosevelt, Jackie Kennedy, Nancy Reagan, even Hillary Clinton? And Barbara and Laura Bush?

    Yet another good question. But Hey! Hillary made the cover of Vogue, too! (smirk)

    Deborah: And ain't that just ironic as all get-out? What was that Mom said? "Don't do as I DO... do as I SAY." Ya... that was it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmm..
    sometimes I feel like we've all sat down to watch a parade in Vanity Fair!! * big sorrowful sigh *

    ReplyDelete
  7. She can't hold a candle to the poise and grace of Jackie, Nancy, Barbara and Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked all of the above mentioned First Ladies and I liked Rosalynn. The verdict is still out on Mrs. O.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dawn: Agreed on the parade thing. I'm very much afraid we'll see more (and worse) as time goes on.

    Jenny: It may be too early to judge, at this point. But I hear what you're saying.

    Lou: Agreed on "the verdict." I'm willing to cut Mrs. O some slack, but NOT the frickin' media slobberers. I'm sick to death of the fawning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buck,

    I too am tired of seeing Mrs. Obama in the media. I do not remember her name appearing anywhere on my ballot.

    I'm afraid we are going to have to hunker down on this one for awhile. The leftwing media is so enamored with these people that we are going to have to wait until the shine wears off, and they've suffered enough disappointments to realize that this is not the hope and change they wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm afraid we are going to have to hunker down on this one for awhile. The leftwing media is so enamored with these people that we are going to have to wait until the shine wears off...

    Agreed. I left a comment elsewhere today that I just want to be able to stand in a checkout line at the store and NOT see The One or Mrs. One's smiling face beaming out at me from six different mags/rags. I think I'm gonna have a looong wait for that.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.