Monday, January 12, 2009

Another Useless Mélange

A lot of folks don’t see any redeeming qualities in Twitter. At all. I didn’t either at first, but I’m beginning to realize Twitter’s value is all in whom one follows. No deep-diving analysis is forthcoming, as I’m basically a shallow person with few well-formed ideas, opinions, or arguments on/about anything. Nope… my simple observations are these:

(1)
Twitter is great for keeping up with folks whose blogs you read. Sort of real-time mini blog updates.

(2) There are obvious “friends and family” aspects.

(3)
Twitter is sort of like hanging out at the bar and overhearing fragments of conversations. Stuff like this:

Lileks: So Friends can turn into Fans on Facebook? Is there a premium level where they turn into Loyal Subjects, or is that just for Saudi royalty?

I found that uproariously funny! But then again… I just told you I’m basically a shallow person*.

Now. Shall we talk about Facebook? I find that concept to be totally without redeeming qualities. But, Hey! Who am I to argue with 100 million people?

*(second graf, fourth sentence)

―:☺:―

Department of Stupid Associations and The Paths We Follow While Surfing: I started reading all of Amazon's One-Star reviews on “Annie Hall” as a result of searching for that “shallow” link above. And I found this:

I guess I've always resisted watching this movie because it was awarded the Oscar for Best Picture over "Star Wars." That, and I really don't like Woody Allen.

What? Can this BE? The movie that spawned an entire subculture of (pardon!) slavish devotees who will queue for days… in Princess Leia drag or worse… outside a theatre before the latest “Star Wars” re-flog is shown? A movie that has single-handedly kept the Halloween Costume Industry in the black for over three decades (and… toys!) lost to a sappy introverted comedy about the demise of a neurotic New York City schmuck’s love affair? Say it ain’t so!

It’s so.

I take back all the bad shit I’ve said in the past about the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and its members, just for that one act of purity, truth, and justice back in 1977. Well… some of it, anyway. Hardly any of it, actually. They still suck.

―:☺:―

I guess The One will just have to make do with Dubya’s hand-me-downs, as Dubya did with the Big Dog’s, etc., etc.:

Looking for a New Air Force One: The Air Force has launched an effort to find the next fixed-wing aircraft to serve as primary Presidential transport, replacing the Boeing VC-25s that have flown US Presidents since 1990. The VC-25, based on Boeing's 747-200, is approaching the end of its 30-year design life, and, with commercial versions leaving airline service, the cost for parts and maintenance has increased. According to a Jan. 7 sources sought announcement, the Air Force conducted an analysis of alternatives, vying the cost of maintaining the current aircraft against buying a new one, and found that "replacing the VC-25 was the most cost-effective option." The new Air Force One, like its predecessor, will be a highly modified commercial wide-body aircraft that USAF expects to see delivered—complete with communications, interior, and aerial refueling capability modifications—in Fiscal 2017, followed by a second and third aircraft in two year increments. The Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio-based Aeronautical Systems Center, which is managing the Presidential Aircraft Recapitalization program, expects industry responses to its contractor capability survey by Jan. 28.

From the January 12th edition of the Air Force Associations’ Daily Report newsletter. I think the current Air Force One is pretty danged cool as it is. But there is that life-cycle thing to consider. Which, of course, is true in other areas. Most especially other areas.

―:☺:―

Now get back to work. You’re paying for my retirement, ya know, and while I can overlook a little blog surfing on company time, enough’s enough. Keep that productivity up — my livelihood depends on YOU! And while we’re at it… thanks for the raise, guys! That was really nice of ya!

14 comments:

  1. I'm just plain ignorant when it comes to twitter, but I do have a Facebook account. Because so many people use it, I keep an account so that I can "keep up with the jones," although I do not use it or even check it very often. Several old friends have found me due to Facebook and that is kind of nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I avoid Facebook, Myspace, all those sites like the plague. For some reason I just find them creepy as hell! My blog is enough of a "social networking site" for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the Star Wars crowd. We all are (that is, those in my household). Chance got Star Wars Legos for Christmas, and a movie poster from the first movie (or would that be the 4th movie? The 1977 one). And every chance we get we play Star Wars Battlefront II on the PS2. LOADS of fun. The boys were Darth Vadar and a Clone trooper for halloween this year. I guess we're part of that strange culture.

    and I've never watched a Woody Allen film, either. LOL! Am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter insisted I get Facebook when she was here at Christmas - so I could keep in touch with her - and when I registered, it popped up with about 20 friends and relatives which I find cool because I can keep in touch with any of them, all of them, or none of them if I prefer. I don't find it creepy at all - it's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I do have a Facebook account that I use fairly regularly (and which started due to the insistence of a young cousin at Wake Forest), I can't bring myself to consider Twitter. It's really because I just don't like the name. "Twitter" ... sounds like something a lot of my gay friends might do. (Nothing wrong with twittering, but *I* don't do it, in any way, shape, or form.) I also have a MySpace account, but I almost never use that ... again with the name. I really dislike things named "My" anything. My Computer, My Documents, My Stuff ... ack!

    That said, all of these sites are useful for finding old friends. Likewise with Classmates.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree about the old friends aspect. I have been communicating on Facebook on an almost daily basis with my best friend from high school, rather than just exchanging Christmas cards. And we both only ended up on Facebook because our grown daughters insisted we register.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny sez: and I've never watched a Woody Allen film, either. LOL! Am I missing something?

    Just 1977's "Best Picture." Other than that? Not a whole helluva lot... ;-) Seriously, tho, "Annie Hall" is VERY funny... and it's still my favorite movie, ever. Which isn't saying a whole helluva lot, either.

    And I guess all y'all ARE in the Star Wars camp!! Fer shure!

    Lou, Christina, Lori, and Sharon: OK, it looks like Christina and I are seriously outnumbered here! Well... 3:2 ain't serious, but I get the feeling the final tally will be larger.

    I was gonna check out your Facebook page, Lori, until I realized I HAD to register just to see you. That's when I said (to myself) "no way." I've received a couple of other "invites" from friends but haven't acted on them so far. I just might reconsider after all is said and done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Star Wars - legendary status in my house. Saw it every weekend when it first came out back in 1977 - and still watch it at least twice a year. Confirmed addict here!

    Oh yeah, used to like Woody Allen back in the "Sleepers" days, but not much anymore. I've never seen Annie Hall...I dislike Woody that much.

    Facebook is a gas! An old friend suggested I give it a try and I'm hooked. It's quick, painless and fun. Especially if you "friend" the children of your own friends just for the humor and sport in reading their profiles. It's good fun for sure!

    Buck - if you get a Facebook page please let me know. I'd love to add you as a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buck, you can view my "public search listing" on Facebook without registering ... beyond that though, yeah, you have to sign up and sign on. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, at least I'm in good company.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kris: I'll let ya know if I sign up. Still a Facebook virgin as we speak, tho.

    Christina: "Good company?" I don't hear THAT a lot, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Christina: I took the plunge this evening... I have a new Facebook account.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For the Star Wars fans who visit Buck's blog, this is pretty funny: http://vimeo.com/2809991

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw that just this morning, at Morgan's place. He's as big a Star Wars fan as there is. I dunno if he has a Princess Leia outfit, tho. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.