Monday, December 01, 2008

More of the Same. Still.

Long time readers of EIP (all three of you) know the onset of winter brings a small bit of recurring angst along with colder temps here at El Casa Móvil De Pennington. The angst is all about keeping warm, as an RV is a poorly insulated, drafty sort of accommodation. It’s not that I don’t have a good furnace… I do. It’s just that the thing tends to run longer and more often as the temperature drops. Which brings us to the angst bits: watching my propane gauge like a hawk to ensure I don’t run out of gas on these cold nights. The complicating factor is the small size of my propane tank… which weighs in at only ten gallons… and one can burn through ten gallons of propane very quickly when the temps really drop. And so it came to pass, as it usually does, that I was right on the bubble this past Wednesday where the propane supply was concerned. I had about a quarter of a tank to last me through the four day weekend, as of Wednesday afternoon. Re-supply? Or not?

I checked the WX forecast. I rolled the dice.

I lost.

Yep… we went into the Propane Red Zone late yesterday afternoon and it was chilly (our high was 41). It got even colder last evening, with a low of 31. While that’s not low enough to drive me out and across the street to the Holiday Inn Express, it most certainly was cold enough to keep my two lil auxiliary electric heaters running full-tilt boogie. They did the trick, though, and I managed to stay toasty all night.

I made a quick call to Albert at Cortez Gas first thing this morning, he popped around about an hour later, filled me up, and all is right with the world again. Until next time. Or until such time as Cortez finds an empty 100-gallon tank lying around. I’ve decided to spring for the installation of a larger tank after nearly six years of living with this ten gallon joke of a propane supply. But there are costs, and this is no trivial matter at $300.00 for the installation and initial fill. But I (finally) decided it’s worth it, simply to get rid of the angst. Mom… were she alive… would say “What took ya so long?” The only possible answer is a shrug and an “I dunno…”

―:☺:―

Weirdness… Sometime in the middle of the evening last night I decided to make myself a late-night sammidge, which isn’t all that unusual… but what happened next most definitely was… ummm… different. I go into the kitchen, open the microwave (which doubles as my breadbox), reach in to pull out the bread and was horrified by a swarm of small moths emanating from the microwave. And I mean a frickin’ swarm. There must have been 75 of the lil buggers in there. I pull the bread and assorted other contents (two packages of Hershey’s Cacao Reserve chocolates, a box of Triscuits, and a bag o’ chips) quickly out of the microwave and see there’s still a small horde of moths remaining all over the inside, clustered around a polyethylene bag of pistachios (I buy those in bulk… or used to).

So I did what any male would do… I slammed the microwave door shut, set the controls at two minutes and nuked the little bastards. I expected lotsa cool little sparks and such, accompanied by the (imagined) death cries of teeny-tiny moths as they met their moth-maker. But nope… all I got was the normal humming of the magnetron as it did its grisly work. No mini-pyrotechnics, unfortunately.

Two minutes wasn’t enough to kill all of ‘em, surprisingly. But I got 90% of the lil buggers and killed the remainder by the usual, customary, and expedient means of death by index finger… with extreme prejudice. I also had quite a mess to clean up inside the box… what with approximately 35 ~ 40 moth carcasses and a melted bag full of hot, inedible pistachios. Ten minutes later and the nuker is spotless, but I lost my appetite. All of the food (except for the pistachios) was moth-free, given as how it’s all in tightly-sealed containers, but the clean-up was pretty gross. Who knew pistachios served as a moth-culture medium? Not me…

And now you know the high points of my weekend, Gentle Reader. Well, there was some football, too. But I don’t wanna talk about it. {insert wistful smile here}

―:☺:―

Today’s Pics: Three pics taken on the grounds of the old Mission church in Abiquiu. Abiquiu is best known as the home of Georgia O’Keeffe in the later stages of her life but I think the mission church is worth the trip, all on its own. As always, click the pics for larger.

June, 2004.

21 comments:

  1. OK - ICK - Just ICK... Sorry that happened... EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWW!

    Also, I'm with your Mom! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful church - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should listen when Mom speaks, eh, Cynthia? I hear her voice every single time I do something less than smart... without fail.

    Thanks for your sympathy about the moth-event. It was most definitely interesting! And thanks for your kind words, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oog. Moths in your microwave? Pistachios? Were the pistachios from a foreign land? Maybe you headed off some dire terrorist moth attack! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. EWWWW!!!!! I HATE it when I find something like that. At least it wasn't a terribly stinky mess, just messy.

    Glad you are splurging on the tank. I hate the smell of an almost empty propane bottle. I'm thankful we actually have a natural gas line for my home (very rare out here). but we still keep a 300 gallon propane tank for filling up our own bottles (grill, RV, other things we use bottles for), and for filling up the feed truck, which Jeff has equipped with propane instead of gasoline.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer on the heat, brother! Stay ahead of the Wx!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off, beautiful church.

    As for the moths, I knew something strangely gross was going to be involved when you mentioned microwave. Ick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deeeeesgusting! Ugh.

    I'd have taken off my shoe to whack 'em, couldn't stand squishing them with my finger, that's for sure!

    Microwaving them? That reminds me of Gremlins. Good call. But gross, oh, yes!

    So, no more pistachios for you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who knew pistachios served as a moth-culture medium? me, that's who :)
    Happened to leave a small, almost empty bag of pistachios in the back of the cupboard a few years ago. But I did catch it before it became THAT big of a swarm. Needless to say, I didn't eat pistachios for a year or so. I now keep bags of nuts in the freezer. yuk.

    As for keeping warm, we once spent a night just off an off-ramp in the rockies. We didn't turn on the furnace when we parked, but we were kept warm by our two canine space heaters. They snuggled up and kept us warm all night and when we awoke in the morning the roads had cleared and we continued our trip. So, time for a dog... it may save you money on propane :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL Buck - not a week goes by that I don't envision my Mom laughing at me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The propane tank installation seems a bit high. Toby watches the local shopper ads for used tanks. Craig's list might be good to watch also.

    The moth story made me LOL. I once grabbed a bag of sunflower seeds to munch on while sitting at the puter. Moths suddenly appeared. It took me a minute to realize they were coming from the sunflower seeds - gross! I was worried that I had mindlessly eaten a moth and then in some bizarre science fiction scene they would eventually come forth from my mouth.

    I always imagined that "Red Sky at Mourning" was written about Truchas and that area of NM.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What about just an extra 10 gal. tank?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know what made my stomach lurch more - the idea of all those moths in your microwave, or killing so many with your finger.

    Ick.

    That church is spectacular - particularly the ridiculously blue sky backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jim asks: Were the pistachios from a foreign land? Maybe you headed off some dire terrorist moth attack!

    On the foreign land question: Yes, California. As for moth-terrorist activity? Well, they terrorized me when they flew unannounced and unexpected out of the nuker. And they denied me food, in addition to threatening a good portion of my food supply. So... yes, again. But I brought 'em to justice.

    Jenny sez: Glad you are splurging on the tank.

    Well, I will, if and when Cortez gets off their butt(s). I actually thought about this last year but was told Cortez was out of tanks... all of their 100-gallon tanks were deployed. I hope that's not the case this year. And I don't want to deal with C&S... their "service" is non-existent as far as the RV community goes.

    Andy sez: Bummer on the heat, brother! Stay ahead of the Wx!

    Small break today, temp-wise (going to 75)... but the high wind will spoil it, tho.

    Michelle sez: As for the moths, I knew something strangely gross was going to be involved when you mentioned microwave. Ick!

    Yeah... that's a pretty safe assumption when a guy leads off a story with "different" and "microwave." ;-)

    Christina sez: I'd have taken off my shoe to whack 'em, couldn't stand squishing them with my finger, that's for sure!

    Microwaving them? That reminds me of Gremlins. Good call. But gross, oh, yes!

    So, no more pistachios for you?


    That seems to be the common female reaction, re: squishing 'em with your finger. Their guts wash right off, ya know. And moths are MUCH slower than flies, so you can stab 'em with a finger quickly and expediently.

    No more pistachios until I get my new teeth, LOL! The Bag That Grew Moths has been in my nuker for well over six months now (since my first serious Adventure in Modern Dentistry)... which is why it sprouted, methinks. I erroneously thought dried nuts were forever.

    Susan sez: me, that's who :)
    Happened to leave a small, almost empty bag of pistachios in the back of the cupboard a few years ago. But I did catch it before it became THAT big of a swarm.

    ...

    So, time for a dog...


    Why didn't ya TELL me, Susan? ;-)

    One wonders if ALL nuts hold a residue of bug seed... just waiting for enough time to incubate and sprout.

    You don't know how often I've considered a dog, Susan. These last ten years are the longest time in my life I've been without. But. BIG commitment, and it wouldn't be fair to the dog if I wasn't 100% "in." What's holding me back is what to do with the pup if or when I decide to head out for parts unknown for an extended time...

    Cynthia sez: LOL Buck - not a week goes by that I don't envision my Mom laughing at me!!!

    I can handle Mom... it's the other women's voices (think: ex's) I hear that bug me... occasionally. ;-)

    Lou sez: The propane tank installation seems a bit high. Toby watches the local shopper ads for used tanks. Craig's list might be good to watch also.

    I think it's high, too. But... I'm not that brave where flammable/explosive gas is concerned, Lou. I don't trust "used" in this space, even though I know that's what I'll get from Cortez. But if something went REALLY wrong, I could sue them. (I've never sued anyone in my life, just to be clear.)

    I loved your sunflower seed story!

    Tim sez: What about just an extra 10 gal. tank?

    I've considered that, Tim. But 20 gallons ain't much better than ten. 100 gallons is the answer, methinks.

    Kris sez: I don't know what made my stomach lurch more...

    That church is spectacular - particularly the ridiculously blue sky backdrop.


    On your first: You and all the other wimmens, Kris!

    The images aren't "shopped," btw. It was just one of those brilliant NM blue-sky days, aka "La Luz." It literally hurt your eyes to look up if you weren't wearing sunglasses.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Was going to send you some of my pics from Abiquiu, but can't seem to access the MyBook from the new notebook. grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ugh! I may never eat pistachios again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. glad to see someone else enjoying a mispronun-see-ay- shun of SANGWICH. Up here in the not so great lake effect snow belt I wear my lands end down vest and polar fleece everything till bout mid May (you know when danger of frost has passed ...wait..thats Memorial day) anyway my sympathies on the fuel cost..they got us by the sacajaweeah up here too $$$$$

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, wouldn't you just take the pooch with you to parts unknown?
    Or was that a euphemism for death?
    I can't imagine life without my puppehs anymore, and they keep me warm, too. Which is only fair, since they've shredded any blanket or comforter I've attempted to use!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Doc sez: Was going to send you some of my pics from Abiquiu, but can't seem to access the MyBook from the new notebook. grrrr.

    Dang. Dontcha hate it when that happens? I can wait, tho... and I sure would like to see your pics, Doc.

    Alison sez: ugh! I may never eat pistachios again!

    Well... just don't be eatin' OLD pistachios! ;-)

    Hey schnoobie... thanks for dropping by! I've spent time up in your part o' the world and I hear ya about winter... which is why I live in NM now. ;-)

    Christina sez: Well, wouldn't you just take the pooch with you to parts unknown?

    Pups and mo'sickles don't get on very well, Christina. And my car isn't exactly sized right for dogs, either. That said, the ex-GF and I always took her cocker spaniel with us on weekend trips... about which: "interesting," but not necessarily an experience I'd want to re-live. So that's the "rest of the story."

    ReplyDelete
  20. you nuked the moths. that is hilarious! and inventive!
    ps: thanks for the prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mezzo: re: the nuker... as I said: "typically male." ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.