Friday, November 14, 2008

Insomnia Sucks


-->Life is getting busier for SN1 these days. A recent e-mail exchange (sanitized, as far as addresses go):
From: (SN1).af.mil
To: (SN2)
Felicity
Natasha
Sean
Erma
TFMP
cc: (YrHmblScrb)
Date: Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 11:57 AM
Subject: FW: Interesting...
As dad pointed out…it is interesting. I’m on the initial investigation team…I’ve been at work for 16 hours today and am headed to the trailer to get some sleep.
I love you all!
Buck/Dad
Capt Ivan "Buck" Pennington
From: Buck Pennington [YrHmblScrb@His.E-Mail.Addy]
Sent:
Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:24 AM (Ed: AOR-Time; sent at 12:24 AM MST)
To: Pennington, Ivan A Capt
Subject: Interesting...
From the AFA Daily Report:
Viper Burned: US Air Forces Central announced that an F-16 fighter deployed to Joint Base Balad, Iraq, caught fire Nov. 12 after its pilot aborted a takeoff around 5:40 a.m. local time. The pilot managed to get out of the aircraft on the ground, with no apparent injury, but the aircraft was destroyed in the fire. The Air Force planned to convene an accident investigation board.
I'll bet life's interesting for you right about now...

ily,
d
--
Be Well!
Buck
Exile in Portales
I’m pretty sure this is SN1’s third aircraft accident/incident investigation, but I’m not really keeping score in this space… it’s just something I’m aware of. SN1 is a graduate of a school the AF runs to train folks in the methods and procedures used to conduct these investigations, so I naturally assumed he just might be involved in this one. It turns out I was correct…
Photo credit: USAF photo from the Joint Base Balad web site.
―:☺:―
Our 15 seconds of fame, Blog Traffic Division:
The Seven-Day Moving Average graph (thin green line) looks like the python that ate the pig, don’t it? That traffic spike you see is a result of a hockey post I put up on November 3rd. I had the great good luck to get noticed… and linked… by Greg Wyshynski (aka Puck Daddy at Yahoo! Sports) and the day’s traffic literally exploded. We’re back to normal now… toiling in obscurity as is our custom. Or fate. Whatever.
It was nice while it lasted (insert big ol’ grin here).
―:☺:―
Wanna see a COOL ad? Go to Cordura’s “Defend Your Base” for some interesting graphics and sounds… if you’re in to that military thang (it’s an ad for tee shirts). Don’t bother, otherwise.
―:☺:―
I’m suffering from insomnia yet again. I went to bed last evening at 2130 hrs and slept fairly well until 0030 hrs, at which time I began tossing and turning in an unsuccessful attempt to get back to sleep. I finally gave it up at 0200 hrs, rolled out, fired up the coffee pot and here I sit… Which kinda-sorta brings to mind the late and oh-so-lamented Dave Attell’s teevee show. You might remember Dave’s classic… “Insomniac” on Comedy Central. I sure do miss that show… but the web site survives!
Dave Attell suffers from insomnia, making him the true late night god. He roams the streets of our cities in search of a good time, heck, maybe you'll see him! Drunks and losers, Dwarves with limps, Flos and ho's and one-eyed pimps,down the alleyway they creep, they're all your friends when you can't sleep.

Come with me and you will see, a late-night-freak-show-Jubilee! Kick the Sandman in his sack; Stay up late - Insomniac!
Ah, well. Gone but certainly NOT forgotten.
I think I’ll go out for breakfast as soon as the rest of the world wakes up and then head over to Cannon Airplane Patch and get my annual flu shot. Big Day on tap, eh?

8 comments:

  1. You are the first blog I read after checking my email and my blog. I always wonder if you are up or if you have stayed up all night. I can kind of judge it by when you post :) Sometimes if you do not blog by a certain time, I wonder if you have gone to town. It sounds like I am some sort of stalker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're my first read, as well, Lou. Always.

    As far as when I post... sometimes I'll have something "in the can" and schedule a post... usually with a time of 12:05 A.M. I don't do that all that much these days, tho... since Blogger started messing with my formatting a couple of months ago. I find I always have to go back and make minor tweaks to the post to correct font disparities, spacing, yadda, yadda. PITA, it is...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Cordura site is cool.

    "… toiling in obscurity as is our custom."

    Well, I am still sitting in the roughly 5 visits per day average Buck, so take THAT. Yesterday you were my ONLY reader. Occasionally American Digest will hook me up by linking to me, then I peak at about 50 in a day, but I am typically back down to 5-7 visits within 3 days. Now that's obscurity. Maybe it would help if I stopped being such a pompous ass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy breakfast. Some Huevos Rancheros over at Marks sounds pretty good 'bout now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andy sez: Well, I am still sitting in the roughly 5 visits per day average Buck, so take THAT.

    You're still new, Andy. It took me several months before I broke out of that "five hits a day" thing. Nowadays fully half of my hits are googlers. That's progress?

    Jenny: I DID go to Mark's! But I had the super-duper combo breakfast... pancakes, eggs, hash browns, bacon... yum! Got my flu shot, too. Dang but the wind is strong between here and the base... and you wouldn't believe the tumbleweeds. Looks like we have a bumper crop this year, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re:Insomnia

    I'm assuming you've tried most everything, but just in case... Have you tried Melatonin supplements? I take 3mg most nights, and I sleep like a log.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tumbleweeds is about the only bumper crop anyone had this year. LOL!

    Mark's has a skillet that's pretty good, too. Jeff LOVES the biscuits and gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim sez: I'm assuming you've tried most everything, but just in case... Have you tried Melatonin supplements? I take 3mg most nights, and I sleep like a log.

    Both adult sons tell me: So? You're retired, you can sleep... or NOT sleep... whenever you like. And they're right. It's not a world-class issue, just something to bitch about. The worst aspect about insomnia is you get out of phase with the rest of the world.

    Thanks for tip, tho!

    Jenny: First... Congrats to Jeff on the Clovis Fire Department job! Way-cool!!

    On the tumbleweeds... I had to dodge some world-class ones today. Those big-ass things can do some damage if you hit 'em head on. Don't ask me how I know... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.